Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pakistani student in India?

5 posters

Go down

Pakistani student in India? Empty Pakistani student in India?

Post by indophile Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 am

Pakistani student ........ in India ......... in Pondicherry ............... beaten up ............. for unknown reasons. Was this incident covered in Tamil newswpapers with some detail?

http://www.dawn.com/news/1106488/indian-police-clueless-after-attack-on-pakistani-student

Are there any Pakistani students in IITs, IISc, BITS - Pilani, BHU. NITs?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Pakistani student in India? Empty Re: Pakistani student in India?

Post by Rishi Thu May 15, 2014 9:54 am

In response to the attack, the Student Federation of India (SFI) secretary voiced concern over the incident and said the university must take all measures to bring the perpetrators of the attack to justice. The university also issued new restrictions on entries to the boys hostel.

>>>Just curious. What did SFI, a communist organization do when Pakis came and killed a lot of people in India?

Why is the Indian tax payer subsidizing a Pakistani's education?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 am

indophile wrote:Pakistani student ........ in India ......... in Pondicherry ............... beaten up ............. for unknown reasons. Was this incident covered in Tamil newswpapers with some detail?

http://www.dawn.com/news/1106488/indian-police-clueless-after-attack-on-pakistani-student

Why would a Pakistani student attend an IIT? For the high quality of education? To take part in the exciting research that goes on there?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am

>>>He may as well be a spy or involved in Jihad against Hindus by supplying arms and money to Indian Mujahaideen. Who knows? There are better schools in Pakistan than Pondicherry university. What is he doing in India?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 am

swapna wrote:
indophile wrote:Pakistani student ........ in India ......... in Pondicherry ............... beaten up ............. for unknown reasons. Was this incident covered in Tamil newswpapers with some detail?

Why would a Pakistani student attend an IIT? For the high quality of education? To take part in the exciting research that goes on there?
For name recognition, I guess. I visited Kharagpur IIT several times many years ago, and there were some foreign students there, but none from Pakistan. I also read a news report a few years ago that Singapore and some other country wanted IITs to open shop there keeping the IIT name.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 15, 2014 10:44 am

indophile wrote:
swapna wrote:

For name recognition, I guess. I visited Kharagpur IIT several times many years ago, and there were some foreign students there, but none from Pakistan. I also read a news report a few years ago that Singapore and some other country wanted IITs to open shop there keeping the IIT name.

the national university of singapore and the nanyang technical university have reputations today that far exceed the IITs' collective reputations. they have no need to ask the IITs to open shop in singapore.  the IITs have by and large squandered  any head start they may have had in the twentieth century to build world class education and research institutes. a friend of mine came back to the US after a very disappointing experience trying to be a faculty member at one of the IITs to rejoin the academic job he left back in the US. he went with a lot of expectations and excitement and came back bitter and angry at the levels of ineptitude and corruption.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/regional-ranking/region/asia
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:
swapna wrote:

the national university of singapore and the nanyang technical university have reputations today that far exceed the IITs' collective reputations. they have no need to ask the IITs to open shop in singapore.  the IITs have by and large squandered  any head start they may have had in the twentieth century to build world class education and research institutes. a friend of mine came back to the US after a very disappointing experience trying to be a faculty member at one of the IITs to rejoin the academic job he left back in the US. he went with a lot of expectations and excitement and came back bitter and angry at the levels of ineptitude and corruption.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/regional-ranking/region/asia
The request to set up IIT in Singapore (a 2010 news story).
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-05-21/news/27600250_1_iit-faculty-iit-council-singapore-government

I don't know much about research, but I always thought IITs did provide decent undergraduate education. Of course, there are some former IITans who claim it was all their brains and the school did nothing for them, but I tend to believe it's a little bit of both.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 15, 2014 11:16 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

One might add that these and many Chinese, Taiwanese, Hong Kong, and s. Korean institutions were started in the late 80s and 90s - much later than the IITs. IITs should have stuck to their original mission.

As I always say Indians believe in getting/buying new things but maintenance and improvement are not (never) part of their plans.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down