Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014

5 posters

Go down

Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014 Empty Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 20, 2014 3:01 pm

..down from the 17% vote share - the highest it got in 1984 - the Sympathy election.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014 Empty Re: Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 20, 2014 3:13 pm

So 94 out of 100 Indian voters did not want the Congress.

That is quite on par with 47 out of 50 SuCHers.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014 Empty Re: Cong(i) received only 6% of votes in 2014

Post by Idéfix Tue May 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't know where people are coming up with all these numbers. The BJP polled 31% of all votes cast, and Congress received 19%. If you consider the BJP's allies, it got 39%.

By comparison, Congress got 29% in 2009 and its coalition got 37%. By both measures, BJP did better in 2014 than Congress did in 2009 or 2004.

BJP got 19% of the vote in 2004, just like Congress did this time.

The results for 2014, are available here: http://eciresults.nic.in Remaining numbers are from Wikipedia.

Interestingly, "none of the above" received 1.1% of all polled votes.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue May 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Idéfix wrote:I don't know where people are coming up with all these numbers. The BJP polled 31% of all votes cast, and Congress received 19%. If you consider the BJP's allies, it got 39%.

By comparison, Congress got 29% in 2009 and its coalition got 37%. By both measures, BJP did better in 2014 than Congress did in 2009 or 2004.

The results for 2014, are available here: http://eciresults.nic.in Remaining numbers are from Wikipedia.

The real percentages will be higher as neither national party contested in all seats; they left some to their allies.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Idéfix wrote:I don't know where people are coming up with all these numbers. The BJP polled 31% of all votes cast, and Congress received 19%. If you consider the BJP's allies, it got 39%.

The real percentages will be higher as neither national party contested in all seats; they left some to their allies.
That's where the alliance vote share comes in. NDA got 39% this time, UPA had 37% in 2009 and around 35% in 2004. Those who are complaining about the disconnect between vote-share and seat-share this time because they didn't like this result would do well to remember that last time, their party got an even smaller fraction of the vote. If Modi's mandate is questionable because his party only got 31% of votes, then MMS never had a real mandate from the people.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 20, 2014 3:56 pm

You wouldn't understand....You should apply Rashmun Concept and Rashmunullah's latest math concepts to arrive at the much lower figures.

accordingly, Cong(i) got 6% in 2014 down from 1984, when it got the highest vote share.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Did the R-man complain in 2009 when UPA formed the government ? Oh I forgot , he doesn't believe in double talk.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 20, 2014 4:35 pm

b_A wrote:

Did the R-man complain in 2009 when UPA formed the government ? Oh I forgot , he doesn't believe in double talk.

That Modi is a polarizing figure is a truism. That he has led the BJP to a majority of 282 votes without there being a single parliamentarian from the country’s largest minority is a fact. That the total vote share of the BJP — at 31% — is historically the lowest of any party that has secured a majority at the Centre is also a fact. That in a representative democracy, the consolidation of the majority will always trump the consolidation of the minority is simple arithmetic logic. Lastly, that calculated polarization along identity lines is a proven strategy for inducing such consolidations is also well-known.
Taking all this into account, two things become blindingly obvious. One, all talk of wave or tsunami as a descriptor of this electoral outcome is nothing but an extension of the spin that preceded the polls — which, by the way, have witnessed the most intensive, most personality-centric TV coverage ever, much of it to Modi’s benefit.

Two, the numerical minority that has voted for the BJP — 31% of those who voted (66.38% of the electorate), and 21% of the total electorate — is a minority that is either an active supporter of, or has no problem with, the Hindutva project. It is because they are so clearly a numerical minority that they cannot be said to truly represent the will of the Indian people. Additionally, it is also because they are so clearly a numerical minority even among Hindus that Hindutva is so clearly a project and not a reality.

One should therefore not shy away from naming the mandate for what it is – a minority vote share that, in our deeply flawed first past the post system (FPTP), has translated itself into a majority seat share. True, in the past, the Congress and other parties have also benefited from the FPTP system. So, one might ask, why bring up the FPTP only now?

Well, because in the past, at the national level, the FPTP distortions did not produce a manifestly majoritarian mandate.
Apart from the other factors discussed above, Modi’s victory is a majoritarian mandate also because, as a lifelong member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), his ideology as well as his appeal is premised on Hindu supremacy.

It is no accident that every one of the seven Muslim candidates fielded by the BJP lost. Even the so-called Modi tsunami could not save them — not even in Uttar Pradesh. Simply put, it was voter polarization, and a consolidation of Hindu votes — cutting across class and caste divides — around Modi that has converted a 31% vote share into not just a Parliamentary majority, but a Hindu majoritarian verdict.
So it would be a gross misreading to regard verdict 2014 as the electoral expression of aspirational India alone. More important than the aspirational dimension is the fact that it is a fractured mandate. In the past, similarly fractured mandates had yielded coalition governments which, as a matter of fact, were a reasonably fair representation of the pluralism and diversity of India. Not this time.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/hNdjVFTqfkl0nEd690YsDK/Mandate-2014-Triumph-of-the-spin.html

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
b_A wrote:

That Modi is a polarizing figure is a truism. That he has led the BJP to a majority of 282 votes without there being a single parliamentarian from the country’s largest minority is a fact. That the total vote share of the BJP — at 31% — is historically the lowest of any party that has secured a majority at the Centre is also a fact. That in a representative democracy, the consolidation of the majority will always trump the consolidation of the minority is simple arithmetic logic. Lastly, that calculated polarization along identity lines is a proven strategy for inducing such consolidations is also well-known.
Taking all this into account, two things become blindingly obvious. One, all talk of wave or tsunami as a descriptor of this electoral outcome is nothing but an extension of the spin that preceded the polls — which, by the way, have witnessed the most intensive, most personality-centric TV coverage ever, much of it to Modi’s benefit.

Two, the numerical minority that has voted for the BJP — 31% of those who voted (66.38% of the electorate), and 21% of the total electorate — is a minority that is either an active supporter of, or has no problem with, the Hindutva project. It is because they are so clearly a numerical minority that they cannot be said to truly represent the will of the Indian people. Additionally, it is also because they are so clearly a numerical minority even among Hindus that Hindutva is so clearly a project and not a reality.

One should therefore not shy away from naming the mandate for what it is – a minority vote share that, in our deeply flawed first past the post system (FPTP), has translated itself into a majority seat share. True, in the past, the Congress and other parties have also benefited from the FPTP system. So, one might ask, why bring up the FPTP only now?

Well, because in the past, at the national level, the FPTP distortions did not produce a manifestly majoritarian mandate.
Apart from the other factors discussed above, Modi’s victory is a majoritarian mandate also because, as a lifelong member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), his ideology as well as his appeal is premised on Hindu supremacy.

It is no accident that every one of the seven Muslim candidates fielded by the BJP lost. Even the so-called Modi tsunami could not save them — not even in Uttar Pradesh. Simply put, it was voter polarization, and a consolidation of Hindu votes — cutting across class and caste divides — around Modi that has converted a 31% vote share into not just a Parliamentary majority, but a Hindu majoritarian verdict.
So it would be a gross misreading to regard verdict 2014 as the electoral expression of aspirational India alone. More important than the aspirational dimension is the fact that it is a fractured mandate. In the past, similarly fractured mandates had yielded coalition governments which, as a matter of fact, were a reasonably fair representation of the pluralism and diversity of India. Not this time.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/hNdjVFTqfkl0nEd690YsDK/Mandate-2014-Triumph-of-the-spin.html
tl;dr - drivel is best ignored.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down