Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu"

Go down

"It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu" Empty "It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu"

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:00 pm

It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in TN.

I was myself raised in a staunchly anti-Hindi Madras. It used to be so bad that my school received 3 bomb threats (over a period of 7 years) as it promoted Hindi (I went to an Arya Samaj run school). Thanks to my parents, I was forced to choose Hindi and Sanskrit in school and despite my handicap in speaking the language, I can read and write quite well with limited understanding. Subsequently, due to the efforts of my Mother and my own interest, I learnt to read Tamil as well.

I feel that every Indian (including Tamils) must learn Hindi. I'm sure Tamil chauvinists from TN will disagree with me. But as an Indian living outside India, I have found that Hindi is the unifying language amongst Indians. I went to grad school in the US and in a class that had 18 Indian students, I was the only one who could not communicate in Hindi. Even students from Kerala, AP and Karnataka were fluent.

It was then that I realized that the DMK had just been propagating a lie that the spread of Hindi would make Tamil extinct. All my fellow south Indians continue to speak their mother tongue with the same ease with which they speak Hindi.

Afterall, Mr.Karunanidhi when asked about why his grand nephew was being given so much importance in Delhi, remarked that it was because he had good command over Hindi. So, obviously he has a different yardstick when it comes to his family.

From my personal experience, I have found it to be a huge handicap not to be fluent in Hindi. I'm sure others may disagree. But I hope we start looking beyond petty politics and learn to adapt and embrace other languages and culture - assimilating it into ours (without letting go of ours).

http://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/konjam-hindi/240235

Back to top Go down

"It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu" Empty Re: "It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu"

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 pm

"People who do not know Hindustani have no right to stay in India. People who are present in this House to fashion a Constitution for India and do not know Hindustani are not worthy to be members of this Assembly. They had better leave." - R.V. Dhulekar (speaking at the Indian Constitutional assembly on December 10, 1946)  [Constitution Assembly Debates-Official Report, Volume 1 (p 26-27), Lok Sabha Secretariat, 1988]

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

"It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu" Empty Re: "It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu"

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:30 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:"People who do not know Hindustani have no right to stay in India. People who are present in this House to fashion a Constitution for India and do not know Hindustani are not worthy to be members of this Assembly. They had better leave." - R.V. Dhulekar (speaking at the Indian Constitutional assembly on December 10, 1946)  [Constitution Assembly Debates-Official Report, Volume 1 (p 26-27), Lok Sabha Secretariat, 1988]

KV, how about teaching me some Tamil?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down