Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi

4 posters

Go down

Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi Empty Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am

Today my daughter who is in 10th under CBSE came to me needing my help on a Hindi poem by Maithilisharan Gupta.

Hindi was abolished in Tamil Nadu in the year 1967. My father who was a Hindi Pandit in a government high school was relegated to teaching general subjects for lower classes. But informed parents and those parents who were in transferable jobs switched their children to CBSE schools and CBSE schools proliferated in the entire state. Even Dravidian party ministers and leaders sent their children to these CBSE schools only while depriving the masses, especially in the rural areas, of Hindi knowledge. For quite some time, CBSE schools in Tamil Nadu have been the best in the country in terms of results and rankings.

While we have the satisfaction of ensuring some familiarity with Hindi for our children, we do lack quality Hindi teachers in the state and probably in the entire non-Hindi speaking areas. You would find people from almost the entire South India showing lack of Hindi knowledge even though Hindi is taught in schools in the three other states viz. AP, Karnataka and Kerala. Despite my father being a Hindi pandit, I picked up my Hindi only after my posting to Gujarat and getting familiar with ghazals, dialogues in Hindi movies and lyrics of Hindi songs.

Naturally I could not be of much help to my daughter. Most Hindi teachers are those who just managed to pass exams to get a job and who can never really understand Hindi fully leave alone thinking in Hindi. With its closeness to Urdu, Hindi also gained nuances which can never be explained through dictionaries.

I did make an attempt in translating the poem as it was needed urgently by my daughter, which was any way found more comprehensible by my daughter than what she heard in her school. Even this limited success was of course due to my actually living in the north for quite some time now the benefit of which her Tamil speaking Hindi teachers do not have. But I know that I made numerous errors and probably I never got the nuances at all.

But when I read out the poem with its rhyme and emotion, my daughter actually fell in love with the poem and now she actually is keen on reading more Hindi poems. She also recommended my own reading of another of her lessons, a prose by Nida Fazli in the same book which she quite liked.

Incidentally in this article of Nida Fazli, a word “च्योंटा” appears. Her teacher did not know the meaning of it and we could not find the meaning in any dictionary including online dictionaries! The text book did not give the meaning of the word as obviously this is a simple word in day-to-day use of native Hindi speakers. I just asked her to consider the words kaalaa chyonta as a black ant and proceed. This is another disadvantage of not having native Hindi speakers as Hindi teachers. But some of my friends in north India said even in North India the standard of Hindi teaching is not really good and those who pick up the language do so through their own reading.

I have uploaded my own translation of the poem in this blog. Once again, this is a poor attempt in translation as I never really studied Hindi and do forgive me if I have made mistakes, serious or otherwise. Please do provide corrections / improvement through the Comments link in this page.

http://ramrv.wordpress.com/tag/hindi-teaching-tamil-nadu/

Back to top Go down

Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi Empty Re: Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:37 am

i agree that the CBSE is better for a student aiming to write competitive exams. the reason to study in a CBSE school however has absolutely nothing to do with hindi, but the superior math, phys, and chem syllabi.

secondly it is a canard that you cannot study hindi if you wanted to in a state board school. i studied in TN state board schools a full two decades after the hindi agitations and hindi was very much available as an option in addition to tamil and french in my school. please stop lying or cut-and-pasting from unreliable sources.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi Empty Re: Hindi in Tamil Nadu: A Tamilian teaches his daughter Hindi

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i agree that the CBSE is better for a student aiming to write competitive exams. the reason to study in a CBSE school however has absolutely nothing to do with hindi, but the superior math, phys, and chem syllabi.

secondly it is a canard that you cannot study hindi if you wanted to in a state board school. i studied in TN state board schools a full two decades after the hindi agitations and hindi was very much available as an option in addition to tamil and french in my school. please stop lying or cut-and-pasting from unreliable sources.

could it be that immediately after the anti-hindi agitations hindi was completely banned from TN state schools but, after several years, when tempers had cooled, it was made an optional subject? notice that Mr Ram's father, a hindi pandit, was forced to teach general subjects for lower classes. how do you explain this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 am

Max, please respond to MulaiAzhagi's post.

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
We need a survey about the leaders of the DMK party.

How many of their children have been tutored in Hindi?

I bet plenty of them.

Kanimozhi has passed the vishaarad level of the exams conducted by the Dakshin Bharathiya Hindi prachar sabha. This is almost the level of a Hindi pundit.

She also knows Sanskrit very well.

There is a lot of hypocrisy.

What about the poor in TN who want to learn Hindi but cannot afford to hire private tutors?

https://such.forumotion.com/t6531-tamil-supremacists-or-lunatics

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:49 am

i don't know what he means by an optional subject. i studied in interior TN in state board schools till class 10. in TN state board, in the years i was in K-12, you had to study one other language besides english. in the interior TN town where i studied, no option was available other than tamil. i don't know what the situation was in chennai schools for grades K-10. i moved to chennai for grades 11 & 12. where i went to school in chennai, hindi was available as one of the language options besides tamil and french. i chose to study tamil.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 am

Rashmun wrote:Max, please respond to MulaiAzhagi's post.

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

I bet plenty of them.

Kanimozhi has passed the vishaarad level of the exams conducted by the Dakshin Bharathiya Hindi prachar sabha. This is almost the level of a Hindi pundit.

What about the poor in TN who want to learn Hindi but cannot afford to hire private tutors?

here is my answer: i am not for spending a penny of taxpayer money on teaching hindi or any other language (other than tamil which is the native language of the majority of TN students) to TN students before we achieve 100% literacy. after that the goal should be to achieve excellence in subjects that will help students to get into good professions - math, phys, chem, econ, computer programming etc. we can talk about hindi or other languages after we do all this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't know what he means by an optional subject. i studied in interior TN in state board schools till class 10. in TN state board, in the years i was in K-12, you had to study one other language besides english. in the interior TN town where i studied, no option was available other than tamil. i don't know what the situation was in chennai schools for grades K-10. i moved to chennai for grades 11 & 12. where i went to school in chennai, hindi was available as one of the language options besides tamil and french. i chose to study tamil.

if you never studied hindi all all upto grade 10, it was very wise not to have chosen hindi for your grade 11 and 12. had i been in your place, i would of course have chosen french.

besides english and hindi, i learnt sanskrit for three years (that was my third language and it was a compulsory subject) through grades 6 to 8.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Max, please respond to MulaiAzhagi's post.

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

I bet plenty of them.

here is my answer: i am not for spending a penny of taxpayer money on teaching hindi or any other language (other than tamil which is the native language of the majority of TN students) to TN students before we achieve 100% literacy. after that the goal should be to achieve excellence in subjects that will help students to get into good professions - math, phys, chem, econ, computer programming etc. we can talk about hindi or other languages after we do all this.

what about the need for a link language for people across India to communicate with each other? As of now, hindi is better suited for this role than english because the masses in India are relatively more comfortable with hindi than with english.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 am

Rashmun wrote: had i been in your place, i would of course have chosen french.

i consider taking tamil in grades K-12 one of the biggest highlights of my school education. i have my father to thank for developing a deep and abiding love for the language. given my family background (we are related to u.vE.sA) and our connection to tamil it could not have been any other way.

it is generally my observation that people who studied their native languages deeply are also able to learn other languages quickly. people who study languages superficially, or for being able to say they have been exposed to a multitude of languages have less felicity with languages in general.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 am

Rashmun wrote:[

what about the need for a link language for people across India to communicate with each other?

i have nothing more to say about that other than what i've already said here repeatedly.

the burden of communication should be shared equally by the people communicating. english is as alien to tamilians as hindi. further, english is equally alien to tamil-only and hindi-only speakers. both will be better served by learning english and share the burden equally.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

what about the need for a link language for people across India to communicate with each other?

i have nothing more to say about that other than what i've already said here repeatedly.

the burden of communication should be shared equally by the people communicating. english is as alien to tamilians as hindi. further, english is equally alien to tamil-only and hindi-only speakers. both will be better served by learning english and share the burden equally.

i had earlier narrated the episode of an assamese security guard in bangalore who worked in my former office in bangalore with who my tamil colleague wanted to communicate with. the assamese guy knew assamese, bengali, and hindi. the tamilian knew english and tamil. they were both in bangalore when they had to communicate with each other, but failed to do so because of the lack of a common language. Hence, i was asked to act as interpreter because i knew both english and hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am

good we can always hire you as the translator.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i had earlier narrated the episode of an assamese security guard in bangalore who worked in my former office in bangalore with who my tamil colleague wanted to communicate with. the assamese guy knew assamese, bengali, and hindi. the tamilian knew english and tamil. they were both in bangalore when they had to communicate with each other, but failed to do so because of the lack of a common language. Hence, i was asked to act as interpreter because i knew both english and hindi.

that tamil colleague of mine did not know kannada. when anti-tamil agitations broke out in bangalore once, while we were both in the city, he quickly took leave and moved to TN for a few days. I asked him: could he not pretend to be a Kannadiga if any anti-tamil agitator in bangalore confronts him? and he said he could not because he did not know the Kannada language.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:25 am

the solution to a law and order problem is enforcing law and order. not insisting that people learn one language or another.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the solution to a law and order problem is enforcing law and order. not insisting that people learn one language or another.

the point is that here we have this tamil guy in bangalore knowing only english and tamil. we also have security guards in bangalore who are from north-east india and nepal who do not know either tamil or english but who do know hindi. how is this guy supposed to communicate with the security guards if he does not have even a rudimentary knowledge of hindi?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the solution to a law and order problem is enforcing law and order. not insisting that people learn one language or another.
ng

the point is that here we have this tamil guy in bangalore knowing only english and tamil. we also have security guards in bangalore who are from north-east india and nepal who do not know either tamil or english but who do know hindi. how is this guy supposed to communicate with the security guards if he does not have even a rudimentary knowledge of hindi?

why don't you leave it to him to find a solution? he found the solution that was optimal to him under the constraints he faced, namely leaving the state. others may have found a different solution.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:42 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
ng

why don't you leave it to him to find a solution? he found the solution that was optimal to him under the constraints he faced, namely leaving the state. others may have found a different solution.

he left the state for few days during the anti-tamil agitations and then he returned to bangalore. the problem is that he will continue to face the same problem while communicating with the security guards in the office building--all of them were from north-east india or nepal who did not know english or tamil but who did know hindi. (he still works in the same place.) this kind of a problem will be faced by any tamilian who moves out of TN in my opinion. it is best for all tamilians to have a rudimentary knowledge of hindi since it will help them a lot in overcoming communication problems once they are out of TN. Tamilians seem to have realized this. That is why we are seeing a resurgence of hindi learning amongst Tamilians in TN.

---------
Please note that i am not a hindi fanatic. i would have no sorrow when hindi is replaced by english as the link language all across India, but i believe the time for that is not now. it is foolish to imagine that security guards from north-east india and nepal who are working all across India would start talking in english for instance (a few of them may know english, but most of them will not).

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Rashmun wrote:(he still works in the same place.)

this is the best proof that he is able to manage his affairs well despite not knowing a shred of hindi. he'll probably hire household help who know hindi and/or kannada to help him conduct his everyday affairs the same way generations of northindian IIT professors and CSIR scientists in tamilnadu have been managing theirs. this also has the added benefit of providing employment for hindi enthusiasts such as yourself as translators. everyone is happy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:Today my daughter who is in 10th under CBSE came to me needing my help on a Hindi poem by Maithilisharan Gupta.

http://ramrv.wordpress.com/tag/hindi-teaching-tamil-nadu/

Yov...man with no original brain.....it is time to....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

this is the best proof that he is able to manage his affairs well despite not knowing a shred of hindi. he'll probably hire household help who know hindi and/or kannada to help him conduct his everyday affairs the same way generations of northindian IIT professors and CSIR scientists in tamilnadu have been managing theirs. this also has the added benefit of providing employment for hindi enthusiasts such as yourself as translators. everyone is happy.

i am contemplating opening some hindi teaching institutes all over TN after my retirement. what do you think about my prospects of financial success? I keep reading reports about the strong enthusiasm for hindi amongst tamilans in TN. opening these hindi institutes in TN will enable tamilians to learn hindi at reasonable rates and it will also give employment opportunities to unemployment youth in states like UP,MP, and Bihar who have a good command over hindi/hindustani. what do you think of my plan?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

the reason he can get by in my former office is because another tamil guy in that office--who also still remains in the same place--knew good hindi. the tamil guy who knew good hindi was from salem. his father was a businessman based in salem who had business associates in north india with whom he (the father) did trading.

but the fact is that this tamil guy who did not know hindi has become a burden and a pain to other people. other people are forced to function as hindi translators--without any monetary compensation--for this guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 pm

The great Hindi poet Kabir said: kal kare so aaj kar, aaj kare so ab. "Tomorrow doing, that do today. Today doing, that do now."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:36 pm

panini press wrote:The great Hindi poet Kabir said: kal kare so aaj kar, aaj kare so ab. "Tomorrow doing, that do today. Today doing, that do now."

there is the question of opportunity cost. Kabir is not talking from the perspective of opportunity cost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 pm

another idea. opening dravidian languages training institutes in NI. youth in NI instead of wasting time doing trivial things would find it beneficial to learn one SI language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Rashmun wrote:another idea. opening dravidian languages training institutes in NI. youth in NI instead of wasting time doing trivial things would find it beneficial to learn one SI language.

this kind of training would be targeting middle class students for the most part. just like middle class students learn a computer language(s) or computer skills they can also learn one SI language as an additional skill. it would not be meant for the poor.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i am contemplating opening some hindi teaching institutes all over TN after my retirement. what do you think about my prospects of financial success? I keep reading reports about the strong enthusiasm for hindi amongst tamilans in TN. opening these hindi institutes in TN will enable tamilians to learn hindi at reasonable rates and it will also give employment opportunities to unemployment youth in states like UP,MP, and Bihar who have a good command over hindi/hindustani. what do you think of my plan?

great idea. give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Rashmun wrote:
other people are forced to function as hindi translators--without any monetary compensation--for this guy.

clearly they have some motivation to continue to act as translators for him. it may not be monetary, but maybe there is some other benefit. if they are his colleagues, maybe they value his friendship. if they are his employers, maybe they think performing this service for him will make him a more effective employee, and if they are his employees then maybe they think it is to their benefit perhaps in advancing their own careers. in any case he seems to have found a way to make this work for him. i don't see what the problem is here.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:10 pm

panini press wrote:The great Hindi poet Kabir said: kal kare so aaj kar, aaj kare so ab. "Tomorrow doing, that do today. Today doing, that do now."

Why are abusing Rashmun ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm

>> i had earlier narrated the episode of an assamese security guard in bangalore who worked in my former office in bangalore with who my tamil colleague wanted to communicate with. the assamese guy knew assamese, bengali, and hindi. the tamilian knew english and tamil. they were both in bangalore when they had to communicate with each other, but failed to do so because of the lack of a common language. Hence, i was asked to act as interpreter because i knew both english and hindi.

why was knowi ng Kannada a requirement for employment as security guard in bangalore? That is what is wrong here.

-----------

A Comprehensive Programme to Protect Indian Languages (A Bill of Rights for Indian Languages)

4-2

All employees who have to communicate with state residents, businesses and government must be proficient in the state official language (SOL). Those who cannot provide school certificates to prove that they studied the SOL at school shall be required to pass a language examination before appointment. Level of the examination shall be commensurate with job duties. Language examinations set up by the state government for its employees shall be used (See 2-2).

For example, a sales person or cashier of a store, hotel, restaurant, movie theater or other such businesses must be able to talk, read and write in the SOL. A bus or taxi driver must be able to talk to passengers in the SOL.

A construction worker must be able to talk to fellow workers and supervisors in the SOL. Failure to communicate with fellow workers and supervisors could affect safety at the construction site. It is up to the out-of-state worker to know the state language and not up to the local workers to learn the out-of-state language.

Doctors and nurses must have sufficient proficiency in the SOL for communication with patients. A scientist who works in a research laboratory need not have knowledge of SOL. An engineer who works exclusively in a design office need not have to know SOL but an engineer who works at a construction site must.

Reas the full article here
http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0801.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:59 pm

>> the point is that here we have this tamil guy in bangalore knowing only english and tamil. we also have security guards in bangalore who are from north-east india and nepal who do not know either tamil or english but who do know hindi. how is this guy supposed to communicate with the security guards if he does not have even a rudimentary knowledge of hindi?

Think Rashmum think. Is the Tamil guy learning Hindi the only solution?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 pm

>> I am contemplating opening some hindi teaching institutes all over TN after my retirement.

I will ask my friend to attend the opening ceremony.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> i had earlier narrated the episode of an assamese security guard in bangalore who worked in my former office in bangalore with who my tamil colleague wanted to communicate with. the assamese guy knew assamese, bengali, and hindi. the tamilian knew english and tamil. they were both in bangalore when they had to communicate with each other, but failed to do so because of the lack of a common language. Hence, i was asked to act as interpreter because i knew both english and hindi.

why was knowi ng Kannada a requirement for employment as security guard in bangalore? That is what is wrong here.

-----------

A Comprehensive Programme to Protect Indian Languages (A Bill of Rights for Indian Languages)

4-2

All employees who have to communicate with state residents, businesses and government must be proficient in the state official language (SOL). Those who cannot provide school certificates to prove that they studied the SOL at school shall be required to pass a language examination before appointment. Level of the examination shall be commensurate with job duties. Language examinations set up by the state government for its employees shall be used (See 2-2).

For example, a sales person or cashier of a store, hotel, restaurant, movie theater or other such businesses must be able to talk, read and write in the SOL. A bus or taxi driver must be able to talk to passengers in the SOL.

A construction worker must be able to talk to fellow workers and supervisors in the SOL. Failure to communicate with fellow workers and supervisors could affect safety at the construction site. It is up to the out-of-state worker to know the state language and not up to the local workers to learn the out-of-state language.

Doctors and nurses must have sufficient proficiency in the SOL for communication with patients. A scientist who works in a research laboratory need not have knowledge of SOL. An engineer who works exclusively in a design office need not have to know SOL but an engineer who works at a construction site must.

Reas the full article here
http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0801.html

KV, according to this self-proclaimed Malayali poster whose views i give below, people like you are dimwitted baboons. Your comments?

-----------
Myself, Mallu. Yourself?
View profile
More options Sep 10 2011, 9:11 am
On 9/9/2011 9:15 PM, mut...@go.com wrote:
> A Comprehensive Programme to Protect Indian Languages
> http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0801.html

Bollocks! The whole idea of a "Bill of Rights" to protect Indian
languages is stupid. Good try at trying to co-opt non-Tamil people into
this harebrained idea, but no cigar! It is also bloody rich that Tamil
language chauvinists had to use English to draw up this "Bill of Rights"
to protect Tamil from English.
Draw up a "Bill of Duties", dimwitted baboons.

Myself, Mallu. Yourself?
View profile
More options Sep 18 2011, 10:38 am
On 9/18/2011 4:23 AM, analys...@hotmail.com wrote:

Mostly baloney and thinly-disguised hatred for TamBrahms.
Hindi _is_ an Indian language, half-witted git. The insecurity down
south stems from the sheer number of bhaiyyas, and their 'preternatural'
ability to water down anything, not just milk. It is about time for
anal-retentive madrasis, esp. Hellam idiots, to get off their high horse
on Tamil and its antiquity. _All_ Indian languages (including Indlish,
whether you like it or not) are beautiful, and _all_ are rich in terms
of literature. Stop dissing Hindi.
Best solution for India is to make English _the_ official language and
make bhaiyyas learn to read/write/speak it. That should keep them busy
for decades. The next thing is for Tamils go find their missing
alphabets and spare all others k/g/h, b/p, t/d interchange misery (and
sometimes mirth).

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.tamil/browse_thread/thread/25b19250eac7bd9d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down