Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration

+9
confuzzled dude
Kris
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
Rishi
truthbetold
Maria S
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration Empty JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 9:09 am

...Utterly stupid move. They are going for the inaugaration of THEIR Prime Minister. Unless they have an issue with Modi himself, they should attend.

It is like you refusing to go for the marriage of your close relative bcz someone you hate might also attend the marriage.

So to cite Rajapakse, Sharif, or Taliban presence as a reason for not attending their own PM inaugaration - that too when invited - is utter non-sense. Is JJ that insecure of her votes or afraid of the zero-win MDMK, DMK ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration Empty Re: JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration

Post by Maria S Sun May 25, 2014 9:56 am

*As far as I am concerned, this is entirely about "symbolic displeasure" - presence of Rajapaksa and not much to do with PM-elect  Mr. Modi.  I would say the exact the same thing..if it was PM-elect Rahul or anyone else.

I am (pleasantly) surprised that Ms. Jayalalitha (no funny line about her this time), decided no to go - totally agree with her it's like rubbing salt in the injured "tamil psyche"- who she collectively respresents at this time..no matter which major Tamil regional party, one may be belong to. I have not seen such overwhelming support of tamilians..even from her bitter foes/enemies in TN..who are quietly applauding her- can't say one bad word about her, when they attack her as a politician, all the time.
 *Especially with the case pending against her, up for judgement very soon..takes some courage to see her not give in and go..is something.

The CM can always go and meet with the PM..it's not the end of the world, if she does not attend this ceremony. Anyone can go to a wedding and party..have fun during "good times"..It's about - who stands by you during hard times. A lot of things are accomplished, when people quietly meet one-on-one, not in parties and weddings..which are designed have fun. I am sure Rajini and other stars attending would keep the media and public excited..they are not going to miss Ms. JJ or anyone else that much! 

It's fine for people to be excited and fooled by Rajapaksa appearing to be so great and releasing fishermen..when it's often not right in the first place. 

*I totally expect the tamilians in this forum to disagree with me on this, that goes without saying!  Go for the dissenting opinions! 
When Chief Minister of Sri Lanka's Tamil-dominated Northern Province, C V Wigneswaran, rejected  Rajapaksa's call to join him to visit India to attend Narendra Modi's swearing-in ceremony, he said that "he did not want to promote tokenism."

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=841760

Only, time will tell..whether this was a right or wrong move. 
It is an important symbolic decision for all tamil leaders to make, and am glad "our" CM "at this time", made hers, "at this time".
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration Empty Re: JJ and Southern CM to boycott Modi inaugaration

Post by truthbetold Sun May 25, 2014 10:08 am

Jj does not have much to gain from going to the Delhi show. So she used this opportunity to skip.
however if legal problems get hot, who knows what role this action will play in future central govt actions?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun May 25, 2014 10:17 am

Sure..anything can happen in politics, we'll see!

She surprised me for sure. I thought in the end, she will go- be more opportunistic and appear to please and appease the new Central Govt.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 25, 2014 10:38 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

...Utterly stupid move. They are going for the inaugaration of THEIR Prime Minister. Unless they have an issue with Modi himself, they should attend.

It is like you refusing to go for the marriage of your close relative bcz someone you hate might also attend the marriage.

So to cite Rajapakse, Sharif, or Taliban presence as a reason for not attending their own PM inaugaration - that too when invited - is utter non-sense. Is JJ that insecure of her votes or afraid of the zero-win MDMK, DMK ?
>>>>Absoloutely.

Remember when JJ passed the bill to prevent conversion through material inducement and the bill banning animal slaughter in temples, the DMK and the secular crowd made a big stink and politicized it that she had to roll back those measures. She wanted to retain her job as the CM.

I think only time JJ will act on the courage of her convictions is when she herself decides that it will be her last term and after that she is going to retire from politics.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 am

Rishi wrote:

>>>>Absoloutely.

Remember when JJ passed the bill to prevent conversion through material inducement and the bill banning animal slaughter in temples, the DMK and the secular crowd made a big stink and politicized it that she had to roll back those measures. She wanted to retain her job as the CM.

I think only time JJ will act on the courage of her convictions is when she herself decides that it will be her last term and after that she is going to retire from politics.

Papi! Shocked
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 11:00 am

inviting a war criminal was wrong in the first place. i am glad that the tamil politicians are boycotting it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun May 25, 2014 11:30 am

By not attending, Jaya, Mamata and Patnaik are giving an opening for BJP to become strong in the three states in the next 5 years as people will see how Modi runs the govt, delivers on promises, improves the economy and generates jobs.

The three self-important leaders are carried away by sycophants doing bharatanatyam around them. Odarpu-hero Jagan should teach them how to cry in chorus. The training will come handy after the next state elections.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:inviting a war criminal was wrong in the first place. i am glad that the tamil politicians are boycotting it.
They invited some Serbian General?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:inviting a war criminal was wrong in the first place. i am glad that the tamil politicians are boycotting it.

rajapaksha
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 25, 2014 12:44 pm

>>>Honestly, I don't think this petty woman is that principled to take moral stances. This is playing to a gallery. Even within that political calculus, she is overestimating the benefits and underestimating the costs. On a separate note, if she had not gotten bogged down in looting TN and kept an eye on the national political scene, she could have really risen to the top. Her lack of vision on that front was due to her being circumscribed by her pissing contest with the DMK.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 12:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

rajapaksha
He was convicted by the ICC in The Hague?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Honestly, I don't think this petty woman is that principled to take moral stances. This is playing to a gallery. Even within that political calculus, she is overestimating the benefits and underestimating the costs. On a separate note, if she had not gotten bogged down in looting TN and kept an eye on the national political scene, she could have really risen to the top. Her lack of vision on that front was due to her being circumscribed by her pissing contest with the DMK.

>>>How would she have known that way back in 1989?

She did engage in corrupt practices in her first term. But not in her second and third terms. Btw Karunanidhi wanted to finish her off . He was on her face all the time. So she had to get rid of him from office  before embarking on any adventure at the pan-Indian level.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Hope idiot Modi realizes foreign policy doesn't amount to inviting a bunch of neighboring leaders without thinking through the longterm repercussions; first stupid move by Modi comes before he even takes oath

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun May 25, 2014 1:18 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Hope idiot Modi realizes foreign policy doesn't amount to inviting a bunch of neighboring leaders without thinking through the longterm repercussions; first stupid move by Modi comes before he even takes oath
>>>I also feel the same way. There was really no need to invite the heads of SAARC nations. 

Let us look at this way: He is not going to lose anything by not doing this at this point in time. Settle down first. Come up with a clear foreign policy. Down the road there will be many opportunities to meet the leaders of Pakistan and BanglaDesh.

I think Modi and his advisors got carried away and came up with Kissingeresque idea.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Rishi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Hope idiot Modi realizes foreign policy doesn't amount to inviting a bunch of neighboring leaders without thinking through the longterm repercussions; first stupid move by Modi comes before he even takes oath
>>>I also feel the same way. There was really no need to invite the heads of SAARC nations. 

Let us look at this way: He is not going to lose anything by not doing this at this point in time. Settle down first. Come up with a clear foreign policy. Down the road there will be many opportunities to meet the leaders of Pakistan and BanglaDesh.

I think Modi and his advisors got carried away and came up with Kissingeresque idea.

BY inviting these small chips, Modi is indirectly saying that they are little more than "Indian States" despite being "called" independent countries. so they better behave like other 28 states of India and listen to Modi ji before doing any hanky-panky with other outsiders.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 pm

Rishi wrote:

BY inviting these small chips, Modi is indirectly saying that they are little more than "Indian States" despite being "called" independent countries. so they better behave like other 28 states of India and listen to Modi ji before doing  any hanky-panky with other outsiders.
Akhand Bharat is expanding further and further!!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun May 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Votes!!!!

This is 'such an important day for ALL Tamil politicians'.

Duh! Which Tamil politician wants to be seen on the same stage as Rajapaska?

If any tamil politician goes then that video, picture will be played/shown for years in TN. These sheep WILL be counted on the next election day.

So no suprises.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Rishi wrote:

BY inviting these small chips, Modi is indirectly saying that they are little more than "Indian States" despite being "called" independent countries. so they better behave like other 28 states of India and listen to Modi ji before doing  any hanky-panky with other outsiders.

you call him "modi ji"? cute!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun May 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Amma, Karuna are merely playing well their Tamil cards. Once Rajapaska leaves it will be Indian politics that decides their moves.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Kris wrote:

you have always taken rather a tough sounding position on sri lankan tamils. no matter what your personal views may be on the issue, the people of TN and their politicians have been of one mind on this issue. no matter what their other shortcomings are, the politicians have always correctly judged the people's opinion and taken a position which reflects the people's views. you can't wish away popular opinion in TN. i support JJ's stance and her reasons for not attending the inauguration.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 8:02 pm

bw wrote:
Rishi wrote:

All Naath Indians are called "ji" wonly.. Of course, how would you know about Naarth Indians.

So the question for you is: am I callng Modi as Modi ji with respect or in sarcasm.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 8:05 pm

bw wrote:
Rishi wrote:

All Naath Indians are called "ji" wonly..  Of course, how would you know about Naarth Indians.

So the question for you is:  am I callng Modi as Modi ji with respect or in sarcasm.

ever since modi came on the national scene, uppili has been steadily northindianifying. he is training for his dream job, the PM's PA.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 8:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:. i support JJ's stance and her reasons for not attending the inauguration.

Of course, you do.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 25, 2014 8:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

you have always taken rather a tough sounding position on sri lankan tamils. no matter what your personal views may be on the issue, the people of TN and their politicians have been of one mind on this issue. no matter what their other shortcomings are, the politicians have always correctly judged the people's opinion and taken a position which reflects the people's views. you can't wish away popular opinion in TN. i support JJ's stance and her reasons for not attending the inauguration.

>>> The SL Tamil issue is not a major factor in the day to day lives of Indian Tamils from what I can assess. I have heard this not just from people of middle class backgrounds or people of specific castes, but also from blue collar types ('drivers'). Of course, my trips are short and my sample size could well be small to draw a broad conclusion. However, my point above refers to JJ being unprincipled and just playing to a gallery.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Kris wrote:

>>> The SL Tamil issue is not a major factor in the day to day lives of Indian Tamils from what I can assess. I have heard this not just from people of middle class backgrounds or people of specific castes, but also from blue collar types ('drivers'). Of course, my trips are short and my sample size could well be small to draw a broad conclusion. However, my point above refers to JJ being unprincipled and just playing to a gallery.

the israel-palestine issue is not a major factor in the day to day lives of american jews from what i can assess. however, american jews have strong emotional connections to israeli jews. sometimes it's not just what is utilitarian and quotidian that is important.

sometimes playing to the gallery is just another name for representing people. after all isn't that what democracy all about?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 25, 2014 8:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

the israel-palestine issue is not a major factor in the day to day lives of american jews from what i can assess. however, american jews have strong emotional connections to israeli jews. sometimes it's not just what is utilitarian and quotidian that is important.

sometimes playing to the gallery is just another name for representing people. after all isn't that what democracy all about?
>>> What I am saying is that the Indian Tamils' affinity to the Sri Lankan cause is not as strong, at least from what I have seen. It could have been at some point ( presumably) but with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination and the advent of refugees, this became strained. Regardless, the point I was making again centered around JJ and her lack of principles.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 pm

it is the LTTE that lost its appeal in TN after the RG assassination. the civilian tamilians of sri lanka have always engendered sympathy and affection in TN. i am no fan of JJ, but on this issue she got it just right.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Kris wrote:>>> What I am saying is that the Indian Tamils' affinity to the Sri Lankan cause is not as strong, at least from what I have seen. It could have been at some point ( presumably) but with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination and the advent of refugees, this became strained. Regardless, the point I was making again centered around JJ and her lack of principles.
What about Mod's principles Kris? for example, talking from both ends on Ram Mandir issue.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 9:20 pm

Kris wrote:
>>> What I am saying is that the Indian Tamils' affinity to the Sri Lankan cause is not as strong, at least from what I have seen. It could have been at some point ( presumably) but with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination and the advent of refugees, this became strained. Regardless, the point I was making again centered around JJ and her lack of principles.

Tamilian connections to Ealamites is VERY ...VERY weak. The only connection is the tamils who "recently emigrated - rather imported - by the Brits in the late 1800s. What were called the stateless tamils wrked in tea plantations in the "Central" ceylon. They were actually treated quite well as they considered themselves as migratory laborers. The ealamites might have mved away fromTN 2000 years ago but there was hardly any people to people sympathy. It was at the same intensity as India's affection for Malaysian, Fijian, South African, Windies Indians. TNers were up in arms and actually anti-Ealamites in the 90s as the LTTE agents terrorized and collected funds from local population. They took over the east coast fishermen villages for their "operations"

All this new found love for the Ealamites are just political stunts and recent.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Kris wrote:

Tamilian connections to Ealamites is VERY ...VERY weak. The only connection is the tamils who "recently emigrated - rather imported - by the Brits in the late 1800s. What were called the stateless tamils wrked in tea plantations in the "Central" ceylon.  They were actually treated quite well as they considered themselves as migratory laborers. The ealamites might have mved away fromTN 2000 years ago but there was hardly any people to people sympathy. It was at the same intensity as India's affection for Malaysian, Fijian, South African, Windies Indians. TNers were up in arms and actually anti-Ealamites in the 90s as the LTTE agents terrorized and collected funds from local population. They took over the east coast fishermen villages for their "operations"

speak for yourself. this may well be a case of tambrahms not having a clue about how other indian tamils feel about sri lankan tamils. you should get out more and get to know people outside of your narrow erode agrAhAram.

how are the hindi lessons going in preparation for the job application fanboy?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

speak for yourself. this may well be a case of tambrahms not having a clue about how other indian tamils feel about sri lankan tamils. you should get out more and get to know people outside of your narrow erode agrAhAram.

Gounders don't qualify?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Gounders don't qualify?

please!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

Tamilian connections to Ealamites is VERY ...VERY weak. The only connection is the tamils who "recently emigrated - rather imported - by the Brits in the late 1800s. What were called the stateless tamils wrked in tea plantations in the "Central" ceylon.  They were actually treated quite well as they considered themselves as migratory laborers. The ealamites might have mved away fromTN 2000 years ago but there was hardly any people to people sympathy. It was at the same intensity as India's affection for Malaysian, Fijian, South African, Windies Indians. TNers were up in arms and actually anti-Ealamites in the 90s as the LTTE agents terrorized and collected funds from local population. They took over the east coast fishermen villages for their "operations"

speak for yourself. this may well be a case of tambrahms not having a clue about how other indian tamils feel about sri lankan tamils. you should get to know people outside of your narrow erode agrAhAram.

This is in the words of a Kandian Tamil. Peole have a short memory about JJ's swift kick in the butts of the LTTE symathisers in the 2000s after they were carrying out their killings in Kodambakkam. Just dig up old Sulekha posts where Sulekhans were blasting away the Ealamites including the refugees...My den in India is a hotbed of LTTE activities and things cooled down only after the Butcher was killed. So I know what I am talking...and it is final.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 25, 2014 9:43 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:>>> What I am saying is that the Indian Tamils' affinity to the Sri Lankan cause is not as strong, at least from what I have seen. It could have been at some point ( presumably) but with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination and the advent of refugees, this became strained. Regardless, the point I was making again centered around JJ and her lack of principles.
What about Mod's principles Kris? for example, talking from both ends on Ram Mandir issue.

>>>CD,

I don't know what he said about it before or after. From the tone of your post, I am surmising that he said two different things. I didn't ask anyone to vote for him due to his stance on the ram mandir issue. It is rather low on the priority list considering what this guy and the country need to accomplish in terms of moving  up the economic ladder in short order. If he flip flops on economic policy, I would feel differently. If you noticed in my comment on JJ, I pointed out that she was not taking any moral stance but rather was driven by political considerations. I didn't ask that she be impeached on the basis on the issue. By that logic, Capitol Hill would empty out in a New York minute.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Gounders don't qualify?

please!

But you are a special TamBrahm to know what happens outside your agraharam?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Gounders don't qualify?

please!

But you are a special TamBrahm to know what happens outside your agraharam?

Tambrahmi Max is jealous that a Goundar knows what goes on inside the Agrharams better than Tambrahmis.

Proof that there is very little in common between the Ealam Tamilans and TNattans is the fact the Ealam Tamilans hardly have any caste classifications and totally ignorant of it. That ALONE proves Ealamites are as close to each other as 16th century American Blacks and current African Blacks.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun May 25, 2014 10:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

speak for yourself. this may well be a case of tambrahms not having a clue about how other indian tamils feel about sri lankan tamils. you should get to know people outside of your narrow erode agrAhAram.

This is in the words of a Kandian Tamil.  Peole have a short memory about JJ's swift kick in the butts of the LTTE symathisers in the 2000s after they were carrying out their killings in Kodambakkam. Just dig up old Sulekha posts where Sulekhans were blasting away the Ealamites including the refugees...My den in India is a hotbed of LTTE activities and things cooled down only after the Butcher was killed.  So I know what I am talking...and it is final.

Actually it is that Kandian tamil and you who have short memory. Padmanabha was killed (Kodambakkam) in 1990 and Jaya took strong action against LTTE in her 91-96 rule which had popular support because of Rajiv Gandhi's assasination (not in the 2000s).

Everything changed after 2009 when images / stories and videos leaked out from the battlefield where innocent Tamil civilians were bombed from the air, raped and killed in the Tamil genocide. Congress party is made an untouchable in TN due to that and Jayalalitha has changed her stance understanding the public anger. 

Though it is not an issue on which polls are fought, it is naive to think Tamils all over the spectrum (economic / caste / political affiliation) have no sympathy for Srilankan Tamils.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun May 25, 2014 10:24 pm

I agree with Max that this attitude of dismissing Srilankan Tamil grievances could be limited to TamBrahms. I think this can be attributed to their opinion leaders N.Ram, Cho. Ramasamy and Subramaniam Swamy. 

I'm yet to come across one non-TamBrahm Tamil who is not supporting the Sri lankan Tamil cause.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:I agree with Max that this attitude of dismissing Srilankan Tamil grievances could be limited to TamBrahms. I think this can be attributed to their opinion leaders N.Ram, Cho. Ramasamy and Subramaniam Swamy. 

I'm yet to come across one non-TamBrahm Tamil who is not supporting the Sri lankan Tamil cause.

No one is denying the Tamil suffering or Rajapakse's butchering. After all, it was MMS who supported SL recently on the human rights vote.

But, there are different ways to skin the cat. If people think that Rajapakse will change his views by screaming and yelling from Tamil politicians - they are dead wrong. The tamil politicians can and should impress the center to get tough with Rajapakse (after all they control the military). And if anything BJP is more inclined than Congress and likely to be less wishy-washy than Cong(i) or MMS. As I stated earlier, BJP and RSS are pro tamil for their own "reasons" JJ is afraid of her cases and her elections in 2 years. DMK also is worried about TN elections in 2 years. So, none of these guys are boycotting Modi out of true love for SL tamils. And the fact TN ers sympathising Ealamites since 2009 just proves it is seasonal and not out of any string affinity for tamil brotherhood or traditional cultural bonds - in that case, they never would have been angry with them for the killing of a Naarthi former PM. A few violent killings by the Ealamites will turn them back again.

I will again say if anything JAYA and Vaicko will have more say and influence on Modi and BJP, and hopefully Modi would understand their boycott (or JJ called him and explain her difficult situation).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:I agree with Max that this attitude of dismissing Srilankan Tamil grievances could be limited to TamBrahms. I think this can be attributed to their opinion leaders N.Ram, Cho. Ramasamy and Subramaniam Swamy. 

No one is denying the Tamil suffering or Rajapakse's butchering. After all, it was MMS who supported SL recently on the human rights vote.

But, there are different ways to skin the cat. If people think that Rajapakse will change his views by screaming and yelling from Tamil politicians - they are dead wrong. The tamil politicians can and should impress the center to get tough with Rajapakse (after all they control the military). And if anything BJP is more inclined than Congress and likely to be less wishy-washy than Cong(i) or MMS. As I stated earlier, BJP and RSS are pro tamil for their own "reasons" JJ is afraid of her cases and her elections in 2 years. DMK also is worried about TN elections in 2 years. So, none of these guys are boycotting Modi out of true love for SL tamils. And the fact TN ers sympathising Ealamites since 2009 just proves it is seasonal and not out of any string affinity for tamil brotherhood or traditional cultural bonds - in that case, they never would have been angry with them for the killing of a Naarthi former PM.  A few violent killings by the Ealamites will turn them back again.  

I will again say if anything JAYA and Vaicko will have more say and influence on Modi and BJP, and hopefully Modi would understand their boycott (or JJ called him and explain her difficult situation).
>>>That was my original point about JJ.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon May 26, 2014 6:00 am

All Naath Indians are called "ji" wonly..  Of course, how would you know about Naarth Indians.

So the question for you is:  am I callng Modi as Modi ji with respect or in sarcasm.

puppy like devotion is more like it. you find him "hot" as well, uppili-ji.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 26, 2014 7:56 am

Me too.

When it comes to Srilankan Tamil grievances and how "Indian" Tamilians (and global Tamilians) feel..the disconnect and denial in this forum is quite puzzling. To be fair, many Brahmins I know, have the same understanding..when it comes to the plight and suffering of fellow-Tamilians. Can't blame them all!

However, there are glaring haters Smile I am not sure if Subramaniam Swamy exudes self-hate or good old.."plain hate" when it comes to Tamilians.  He openly categorizes Tamilians as "Brahmins, Rats and Goondas". I want to use humor..but, there is nothing nice about being called a Rat or when one's people are called Goondas! 
Treating others with some dignity..is a basic requirement.Statements like these are wake up calls for Tamilians, and with social media-  the younger generations are paying close attention to see how nothing can be taken for granted- we can't be taken for granted. 

Of course..beyond hate speech..one looks for actions too. How will the power sharing be? How will our interests be represented?  I have not seen the seen the term "Hindi Belt" before..at least in the headlines..

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/statewise-list-of-modis-ministers-hindi-belt-leads-no-place-for-rajasthan-ls-members/474413-37-64.html

Well..it's entertaining at the moment for sure! Watching the inauguration events..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 26, 2014 8:02 am

swamy shows all the symptoms exhibited by that species of upper middle class tambrahm, raised outside of TN, probably in delhi or some such place. there is probably a self-loathing male ancestor somewhere in the picture who had much influence on his thinking too -- one that thinks of himself as an outsider, and has notions of racial superiority. this malady is all too common amongst swamy's generation and the one prior to his. no need to pay this dying breed any heed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 am

Sure.

Prejudices are part of human nature..when it's in your face- it is hard to ignore.

It's nice to be off today..and watch the events - relax and catch up with things!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 26, 2014 8:34 am

Maria S wrote:*As far as I am concerned, this is entirely about "symbolic displeasure" - presence of Rajapaksa and not much to do with PM-elect  Mr. Modi.  I would say the exact the same thing..if it was PM-elect Rahul or anyone else.

I am (pleasantly) surprised that Ms. Jayalalitha (no funny line about her this time), decided no to go - totally agree with her it's like rubbing salt in the injured "tamil psyche"- who she collectively respresents at this time..no matter which major Tamil regional party, one may be belong to. I have not seen such overwhelming support of tamilians..even from her bitter foes/enemies in TN..who are quietly applauding her- can't say one bad word about her, when they attack her as a politician, all the time.
 *Especially with the case pending against her, up for judgement very soon..takes some courage to see her not give in and go..is something.

The CM can always go and meet with the PM..it's not the end of the world, if she does not attend this ceremony. Anyone can go to a wedding and party..have fun during "good times"..It's about - who stands by you during hard times. A lot of things are accomplished, when people quietly meet one-on-one, not in parties and weddings..which are designed have fun. I am sure Rajini and other stars attending would keep the media and public excited..they are not going to miss Ms. JJ or anyone else that much! 

It's fine for people to be excited and fooled by Rajapaksa appearing to be so great and releasing fishermen..when it's often not right in the first place. 

*I totally expect the tamilians in this forum to disagree with me on this, that goes without saying!  Go for the dissenting opinions! 
When Chief Minister of Sri Lanka's Tamil-dominated Northern Province, C V Wigneswaran, rejected  Rajapaksa's call to join him to visit India to attend Narendra Modi's swearing-in ceremony, he said that "he did not want to promote tokenism."

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=841760

Only, time will tell..whether this was a right or wrong move. 
It is an important symbolic decision for all tamil leaders to make, and am glad "our" CM "at this time", made hers, "at this time".
So many intense thoughts and feelings about JJ! AvaL unnudaya thangai-aa?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 am

bw wrote:

puppy like devotion is more like it. you find him "hot" as well, uppili-ji.

Google mata ji: Dig up my posts against modi - rather my stated reservations. Hot? "Naan Avan Illai"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 am

I was looking for glimpses of Rajinikanth in the special guests section..apparently, he decided not to attend, which I did not know until a few minutes ago! 

Beyond politicians and their calculations..this is more revealing about how the "average Tamilian" feels today about Rajpaksa's invite..when a superstar who claims that Mr. Modi is a very dear personal friend, who cared about him so much when he was ill, came to visit him recently- rejects the invitation for this historic event! Obviously for Rajini, fame and fortune always come first..apparently he did not want to risk hurting the feelings of most Tamilians for a "best friend", and face all the backlash.  

If anyone doubts how the tamil masses in TN or globally feel at this time..there can be no better evidence than this! 
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 am

Maria, 

Take it easy.  Rajani kanth is not even a tamilian.

JJ did not go because her presence or absence would not be of any consequence. She is not important for NDA govt survival.  She also calculated that there is no particular advantage to her by getting closer to NDA at this time.  She will gain more political space and options by keeping distance. 

NDA in the long run does not want to snub JJ because she got 37 mps and local power. They will work with her and work to get her on their side in five years when political fortunes could be different.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 26, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks TBT for your advice..you do the same:) 

And you can be as tone-deaf as you want to be when it comes to the passions and feelings of Tamilians. 

*We Tamilians-Tamil fans embraced Rajini as one of our own- made him into a superstar..expecting a little sensitivity from him- and him realizing it..is what it is. 
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next