Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka

Go down

How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka  Empty How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 pm

I am reminded of an incident from my school days –in late 70s. It was a small town and we as kids were yet to understand why some of our teachers were arrested and why there was so much of arson and loot in the town. We later learnt it was due to emergency.

In our neighbourhood one fine evening I saw a saffron flag hoisted and some boys from school playing around. I went and joined them. It was good fun. Good games, songs and good friends. It was RSS and shakha pramukh soon became fond of me. Every evening after the games, he would tell us what great country India was and he would tell us the stories of Bhagat Singh, Madan Mohan Malaveeya, Hedgewar etc. He would give me lot of books and he would invite me to his home for lunch etc. In school I was a bright kid and all the teachers used to give me a lot of attention and I thought this too was the same and I didn’t see anything more in that.

After 2 years or so, there was one huge meeting of RSS at the place and HV Sheshadri came to give a talk.  There was plan if a procession of heads of many lingayat mutts and RSS was to take out path sanchalan (flag march?) in that procession.

On the day of procession, all the heads of lingayat mutts from close by towns were taken in a procession with all the dos of folklore like drum beating and folk dance etc. And yes RSS guys right in the fore front with their lathis.

Along the way of procession at the town square there is a masjid. Normally, whenever any procession was taken it invariably crossed the masjid and in just about 2-3 minutes the procession was past the masjid. But this time, I don’t know why, the procession stopped for 20-30 minutes opposite of masjid and they went on beating the drums louder and louder. We were just enjoying the whole thing when suddenly stones started flying in the air. Someone shouted they started from the masjid and someone shouted they had thrown a pig inside the masjid.

In a matter of seconds it turned out into mob frenzy and many were injured by the stone pelting, including the swamijis. By the time police brought the situation under control, we had blood on many faces.

The town was under prohibitary orders for week or so. When the town returned to normal, we had RSS sow seeds of hatred. Suddenly we were hindus -not lingayats, who needed to be protected from evil muslims.

After 15 days, Pejawara swamiji visited the place and he also was taken in a procession. This time RSS did not lead it with lathi wielding volunteers, this time there was no drum beating. This time there was only talk of peace and how we should love all.

It is the first communal riot I saw and I didn’t know why lingayat mutts were used to fan communal hatred. I didn’t know why the same hate mongering stance was not adopted when a Brahmin swami was taken in procession. Well is it too hard to guess?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/basavaraj-itnal/hindutva-the-unholy-history/695208533840476

Back to top Go down

How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka  Empty Re: How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka

Post by Rishi Tue May 27, 2014 4:04 am

Rashmun,

This article is full of statements bashing brahmins.

Why do you think they did not engage in "hate mongering" when they took a brahmin swami in a procession?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka  Empty Re: How Hindutva Chaddiwalahs started a communal riot in Karnataka

Post by Guest Tue May 27, 2014 4:59 am

Rishi wrote:Rashmun,

This article is full of statements bashing brahmins.

Why do you think they did not engage in "hate mongering" when they took a brahmin swami in a procession?

It is true that the complete article has some foolish statements; I think these were written out of ignorance more than anything else.
With respect to the incident described, it seems the Brahmin swami was either not asked or else he did not agree to become a part of any hate mongering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down