Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don’t fall off the radar

2 posters

Go down

Don’t fall off the radar Empty Don’t fall off the radar

Post by FluteHolder Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 am

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/dont-fall-off-the-radar/article6057312.ece?homepage=true

In a society that’s completely wired, switching off from social media incurs reactions that range from ‘are you mad’ to ‘liberation’
I deleted my Whatsapp account three days ago to see what life without Whatsapp would be like. I swore off FB and Twitter, too. The first day, I’d pick up my phone countless times between work and chores as I missed its familiar, regular beeps. Then the cold reality would dawn on me—I was no longer connected.
A few friends called to check on me. “Are you okay?” “Whatsapp says you are removed. Is something wrong?” “Has your phone conked again?” And when I offered an explanation, the responses ranged from “Are you mad? Why would you do that?” “Would you rather spend money on SMS?” “You journalists are not normal”.
Surveys, studies and research have gone on to explore the extent of man’s dependence on technology—how it affects the brain, social behaviour, relationships, even eating habits. The latest is a video that has gone viral, which urges people to ‘look up’ from the phone and “live life the real way”.
Written, performed and directed by Londoner Gary Turk, the video has garnered 39 million views as on May 28. Though Turk’s film is an exaggerated view of technology’s far-reaching impact on relationships, it points out people’s addictive behaviour. While a large number of viewers agree with Turk that disconnecting oneself is important, an equal number of people disagree.
Jijin Gopal, 31, who works as project manager for a multinational company in Bangalore, says he “disconnects” whenever he is on vacation. He even turns off his mobile phone, unless he needs to figure out the area using maps. “In Bangalore, during weekends, I sometimes ‘log out’. It feels awesome. Liberating even. But, I guess, it is only because of the knowledge that I can always get back to it. Forever is another story.”
Instant messaging services such as Whatsapp, Face Time, Viber, and BBM messenger have revolutionised communication to such an extent that life without these seems “boring” and “kind of unreal”. Pranav Govind, who just completed his Plus Two, wonders why one would want to voluntarily disconnect from social media. “When you were my age, you did not have facilities such as these. Tell me, how many real friends do you have? The ones you can call up at 2 a.m. and speak to?” I think, pause, think again and mutter a weak: “Two? Three, perhaps.” Pranav says: “I have 16 very close friends, whom I can call at any time of the day and that is because we are connected all day, at all times.” Anyone in his generation would agree to this, Pranav says. “We need to be connected. It is a part of our lives. Whenever we go to a café or any such place, the first thing we check is if it is Wi-Fi enabled.”

Smart phones never ever let one off the hook. Every few seconds, a notification pops up. “Even when there are no notifications, I check FB constantly, even in the middle of the night,” says Ambika Krishnamurthy, 28, a chartered accountant. As a young mother, she says she is part of “moms’ groups” on Whatsapp that constantly share information and support. According to her, social media is one of the best ways to beat boredom. “It is a habit.” The only time she stops checking her phone is when her “hands get tired”. “They actually do, if you are using the phone all the time.”

Being constantly connected has its flipside, too. “It can be irritating especially when you are in the middle of a conversation between two (or more) people as it often happens in group chats. But then again, you have this entire network on your fingertips. You never feel alone,” says Radhika S., 25, an avid FaceBooker. “You go to a crowded place. You don’t know anyone. Or, you meet someone you absolutely want to ignore. Just pull out your phone and tap on it.”

Behavioural addiction, as it is called, is a common affliction now, says Ajeesh Ramachandran, psychiatrist, General Hospital, Ernakulam. “It is much the same as alcohol or nicotine addiction. The pleasure centre in the brain is activated.” Social media is a perfect platform for people with “social anxiety” to express themselves freely. FB satisfies one’s intrinsic craving for adulation, he adds.
In the last three months, Ajeesh has seen close to 50 cases of children below 15 years of age in Kochi, who have had “issues” with social media. Many of them had got into relationships and the parents had confiscated their phones. He has also been encountering cases of extreme aversion to real social interactions. A young professional went to him complaining of social anxiety. He could not go to office. He would be at home all day, logged on to FB. “It does not make sense to shun it totally. Strike a balance by devoting a set time for social media a day. Then, you can gain much from it.”

For those who have never used any of these platforms and don’t intend to, life is as exciting. Says Joseph T., a business executive: “If I want to talk to my friend, I can call him. I don’t want “friends” I have not seen or met. Old-fashioned, the world may call me.”

The Internet doesn’t discriminate; it makes every one feel at home. But if one absolutely must get away, web sites exist that give step-by-step methods on how to delete one’s online existence or how to “ungoogle” oneself. However, a total wipe-out entails lengthy procedures along with some introspection and dealing with questions such as: “Are you sure you want to do this, as this means you will forfeit any marketable presence that you have developed online. These are drastic measures.”
Indeed. Now, how many of us would want that?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Don’t fall off the radar Empty Re: Don’t fall off the radar

Post by Impedimenta Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 am

i hate SMS! just saying. 

so, how have you been?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down