Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

buying tires online

+2
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

buying tires online Empty buying tires online

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:27 am

any experience?

i'm getting higher quality tires for less money than the shop that i go to usually is giving me. thinking of having it shipped to the shop where i get them done usually and have them install it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

buying tires online Empty Re: buying tires online

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:32 am

How much cheaper? Is is the same tire?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:any experience?

i'm getting higher quality tires for less money than the shop that i go to usually is giving me. thinking of having it shipped to the shop where i get them done usually and have them install it.

This is a great idea. Do u have a particular tire in mind for your car? I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/General-AltiMAX-High-Performance-Tire/dp/B004QL5ZKE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=04KB3VBVTBPBR4MPX29X

And:

http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-Radial-Tire-75R15/dp/B004QL66XO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402839737&sr=8-3&keywords=Car+tires

Do you know how much the shop will charge you for replacing your car's tires?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:50 am

Hellsangel wrote:How much cheaper? Is is the same tire?

yes the exact same tire. about 10% cheaper after including shipping charges and taking out sales tax. i have verified with the outfit that they don't charge sales tax for tires shipped to MA. rashmun, amazon doesn't have the variety, extensive spec information, and user reviews that tirerack offers. installation at my shop is $30/tire inclusive of disposing the old tire. i can probably get it done for cheaper at some franchise like NTB, but this guy is local, charges a bit more, but i know he won't lowball me on the price now, and then say i need this that and the other later like those franchises do. plus i've been going to him for many years.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

yes the exact same tire. about 10% cheaper after including shipping charges and taking out sales tax. i have verified with the outfit that they don't charge sales tax for tires shipped to MA. rashmun, amazon doesn't have the variety, extensive spec information, and user reviews that tirerack offers.  installation at my shop is $30/tire inclusive of disposing the old tire.  i can probably get it done for cheaper at some franchise like NTB, but this guy is local, charges a bit more, but i know he won't lowball me on the price now, and then say i need this that and the other later like those franchises do. plus i've been going to him for many years.  
Yeah I have done this. Do you get them shipped to the shop?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:03 am

Why don't you rent a car with compatible tires. Switch tires. Cheapest way to change tires WinkWink

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:04 am

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

yes the exact same tire. about 10% cheaper after including shipping charges and taking out sales tax. i have verified with the outfit that they don't charge sales tax for tires shipped to MA. rashmun, amazon doesn't have the variety, extensive spec information, and user reviews that tirerack offers.  installation at my shop is $30/tire inclusive of disposing the old tire.  i can probably get it done for cheaper at some franchise like NTB, but this guy is local, charges a bit more, but i know he won't lowball me on the price now, and then say i need this that and the other later like those franchises do. plus i've been going to him for many years.  

i haven't done this before, but yes that's the idea. the shop said they're fine with it and tirerack will ship anywhere. the only thing that's giving me pause is that if i have to claim warranty at a future date, it might be a pain.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:07 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i haven't done this before, but yes that's the idea. the shop said they're fine with it and tirerack will ship anywhere. the only thing that's giving me pause is that if i have to claim warranty at a future date, it might be a pain.
You really shouldn't have any warranty issues.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 am

Hellsangel wrote:Is is the same tire?
Why would he want to buy a tire that he already owns?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:40 am

swapna wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Is is the same tire?
Why would he want to buy a tire that he already owns?
You are too demented to understand about tires, Achachan Ammachi.

Anyway we are talking about automobile tires. Not the tires for the pink girls' bicycle you ride.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am

seven wrote:Why don't you rent a car with compatible tires. Switch tires. Cheapest way to change tires WinkWink
Probably because he's not a heavily made-up northindian woman.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 am

Don't

10% - say $30 is not worth it - unless installation+ road insurance also comes with it.

Installation is around $10-15 per tire. Also, many stores will not mount OUTSIDE tires. So you will spend another $40 for mounting.

Finally, if you have problem, you will have to pay for dismount/replacement, then try to get replacement etc...

Anyway, I buy used tires from junk yard and hence I have no idea about this online savings plan....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am

swapna wrote:
seven wrote:Why don't you rent a car with compatible tires. Switch tires. Cheapest way to change tires WinkWink
South Indians know no fun? Why are you guys so serious always? 
And I'm not a made up woman like you. And unlike you, I'm not heavy, fake woman.  

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 am

swapna wrote:

Irrelevant.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 am

Max, ask costco to match the price for you. They install and protect it for like 48k miles or Sth. They'll replace it fr free if something goes wrong with tires.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am

seven wrote:Max, ask costco to match the price for you. They install and protect it for like 48k miles or Sth. They'll replace it fr free if something goes wrong with tires.

the price club we go to (not costco but BJs) has very limited options (only two). tirerack beats the pants off of them with way more options, and much higher warranty coverage (70 k miles) for the same amount i'll be spending at BJs.

saamiyar -- do you really put up with the hassle of going to a junkyard, fishing out tires with moderate treads left on them, one or two at a time, and then dragging it back to the shop etc and then doing it all over again two months later because it was a used tire to begin with? i have a hard time believing the things you say. maybe when one is a grad student and perennially poor, but why go through so much pain for so little?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25 am

I first heard of tirerack from my cousin back in 2007. He had been buying from them from a while and was happy with the quality and price.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:27 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
swapna wrote:
Irrelevant.
Wrong! she asked ("why don't you..."); I told her.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:27 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
seven wrote:Max, ask costco to match the price for you. They install and protect it for like 48k miles or Sth. They'll replace it fr free if something goes wrong with tires.

the price club we go to (not costco but BJs) has very limited options (only two).  tirerack beats the pants off of them with way more options, and much higher warranty coverage (70 k miles) for the same amount i'll be spending at BJs.

saamiyar -- do you really put up with the hassle of going to a junkyard, fishing out tires with moderate treads left on them, one or two at a time, and then dragging it back to the shop etc and then doing it all over again two months later because it was a used tire to begin with? i have a hard time believing the things you say. maybe when one is a grad student and perennially poor, but why go through so much pain for so little?

Since you asked...I have done the junkyard route, have bought brand new - but rejected tires. A middle route is to go to a used tire store. You will have options to pick the ones you want and still some life left in it. This I have done quite a bit. Now the 2-job routine does not give me much time. I simply take it to the nearby Wal-mart and buy the cheapest 40K warranty tires (I almost always rent cars for out of town driving).

Of course....this method is good for 150k+ cars like mine and dont drive long distance in my car (these days). Not for news cars and top of the line cars like Bummer and Mercenaries - spending 300-400 $ on tires once every 5 yrs for those cars is better.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:40 am

seven wrote:
swapna wrote:
I'm not heavy, fake woman.  
"I'm not a heavy woman," not "I'm not heavy woman."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:47 am

swapna wrote:
seven wrote:
swapna wrote:

Actually You are the one that is wrong. Usually heavy women are made of being equal to 2 or 3 normal women. So Seven is RIGHT in not using an "a"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:31 am

swapna wrote:
seven wrote:
swapna wrote:
Are you angry?
Are you upset?

I wrote "I'm not heavy comma fake woman". 
Trabal comprehending simpal English??

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:35 am

Swapna,
Please do not answer 'are you angry, upset questions. 
Like 'why don't you..' They are rhetorical as well.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down