Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethical Dilemma

+5
charvaka
indophile
doofus_maximus
harharmahadev
Mosquito
9 posters

Go down

Ethical Dilemma Empty Ethical Dilemma

Post by Mosquito Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am

I am buying looking to buy a used GPS . Yesterday I contacted someone and told them and I will buy form them. Now I found another guy who is selling a better item for 10 more. Is it unethical to ditch the first guy?
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Ethical Dilemma Empty Re: Ethical Dilemma

Post by harharmahadev Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:53 am

No.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 am

ditch him..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:57 am

Tell the earlier guy that you found a much much better GPS and a cheaper price. If he starts arguing, then tell him to fuck off and not bother him in the future otherwise you will call the cops on him.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:59 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:I am buying looking to buy a used GPS . Yesterday I contacted someone and told them and I will buy form them. Now I found another guy who is selling a better item for 10 more. Is it unethical to ditch the first guy?

There is nothing wrong to go with the best deal you are offered. But if it makes you feel better, just let the first guy know you decided to buy from elsewhere because you got a better deal.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:08 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:I am buying looking to buy a used GPS . Yesterday I contacted someone and told them and I will buy form them. Now I found another guy who is selling a better item for 10 more. Is it unethical to ditch the first guy?
No.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Depends. If the contacts are in person (like office colleagues or friends) then they can feel the hurt. If it is from Craigs list or similar, it does not matter.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Guess such situations are slightly unethical when selling things. But when buying, you do have a right to change your mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:02 pm

PI - OK answer this: Did you keep looking AFTER you told the other person you'd buy it from them? Is this why you're feeling the way you feel? If so, then yes it is unethical.

I know it's a big leap but, extrapolate the same to say, a relationship. You meet someone, agree to marry and someone even "better comes along". Were you still looking? If so, what would you do then?

The best thing to do would be honest about it and let the first person know that you intend to get the better item and move on... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Theoretically yes, the moment you agree to buy it at a price acceptable to the seller, you have entered into a contract. Practically, no, the person will find another customer - no harm, no foul.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Richard Hed wrote:

PI - OK answer this: Did you keep looking AFTER you told the other person you'd buy it from them? Is this why you're feeling the way you feel? If so, then yes it is unethical.

Not really. I emailed a bunch of people before telling them that I said I will it from the first guy who emailed me. I didn't look at the item yet.

I know it's a big leap but, extrapolate the same to say, a relationship. You meet someone, agree to marry and someone even "better comes along". Were you still looking? If so, what would you do then?

Dude, I will be happy if one guy, 2 guys at a time, that isnt happening. Very Happy

The best thing to do would be honest about it and let the first person know that you intend to get the better item and move on... Smile

I intend to do that.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:39 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:

Not really. I emailed a bunch of people before telling them that I said I will it from the first guy who emailed me. I didn't look at the item yet.

Dude, I will be happy if one guy, 2 guys at a time, that isnt happening. Very Happy

I intend to do that.

PI dude - you're awesome!

But, you know that already! :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Richard Hed wrote:

She is buying a GPS. Of course she will look for something better. Nothing unethical.

Notwithstanding your disclaimer about 'big leap' how can you compare the two.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Anyways, I've called the guy number 2 and told him that I will take look at the item this noon. These folks from Craigslist, not the people I really know.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:51 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:

She is buying a GPS. Of course she will look for something better. Nothing unethical.

Notwithstanding your disclaimer about 'big leap' how can you compare the two.

It's a simple transaction but, PI had an ethical dilemma. You normally have ethical dilemmas about big shyt, no? So, I figured - let's extrapolate. She got it.
Now, what's your problem again? :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm

err? all this about a GPS? wait, is GPS a code word for something else? Rolling Eyes

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Don't you have an app for that?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down