Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag

5 posters

Go down

Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag Empty Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:24 am

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag Empty Re: Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag

Post by nevada Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 am

Bought a couple of reusable grocery bags and used them once. Brought the groceries in, it was too cold to go back and put the bags in the car. Next time I went to the store, I forgot to take the reusable bags with me and I had to get plastic bags again.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag Empty Re: Be an ethical consumer - bring your own bag

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 am

Not just the grocery bags, i use the vegetable bags too (netted ones with a zip) that i got from india. These are awesome even to store the veggies and fuits in the fridge. The produce is aerated well and so they don't rot. I got a coupla dozens of them from India. Very useful.

Similar to these, except that mine have a zipper, not a drawstring.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61192168/set-of-3-reusable-mesh-produce-bags?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_type=all&ga_search_query=produce+bag&ga_view_type=gallery

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:02 pm

nevada wrote:Bought a couple of reusable grocery bags and used them once. Brought the groceries in, it was too cold to go back and put the bags in the car. Next time I went to the store, I forgot to take the reusable bags with me and I had to get plastic bags again.
They have completely stopped giving out plastic bags in CA. So if you forget your reusable bag, they give you paper bags for 10 cents. 
That's about grocery stores. Malls are still using plastic bags for some reason. Not all stores but some do.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey...using NOTHING but plastic bags is the hip thing in India. I was the only idiot walking around with a grocery bag this time. Plastic bags are everywhere...on every road outside of homes, villas, and "luxury" apartment, along the tracks.

After all, all of Amrika uses plastic bags - or so they thing - hence, it is the right thing to ape "them"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 pm

They charge you Rs35 for plastic bags in malls. The way I remember it, India implemented the no plastic bag thing before California. I could be wrong though. Still sleepy etc.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Edit: it was banned in India for some time. Now they're using it again. :-<

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:04 pm

seven wrote:They charge you Rs35 for plastic bags in malls. The way I remember it, India implemented the no plastic bag thing before California. I could be wrong though. Still sleepy etc.

Girl...In India, the laws have no meaning. They are meant for publicity and for "action taken" checkmark.

They are not for implementation. I suspect everyone must have interpreted the law as ban paper bags.

BTW, it takes 1 huge tree to make 700 paper bags. Of course, the trees are recyclable. But this wont work in India...Use of paper bags will quickly convert all forests into deserts.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Kinnera wrote:Not just the grocery bags, i use the vegetable bags too (netted ones with a zip) that i got from india. These are awesome even to store the veggies and fuits in the fridge. The produce is aerated well and so they don't rot. I got a coupla dozens of them from India. Very useful.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61192168/set-of-3-reusable-mesh-produce-bags?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_type=all&ga_search_query=produce+bag&ga_view_type=gallery

oh that is so thoughtful. I'm going to get one of those woven plastic lanyard grocery bags for myself when I go to india. I'm going to shop rite! as I'm growing older I definitely want to be responsible, esp the act of looking responsible in front of everyone is so rewarding. people THINK you're a good person. like I just enjoy giving 2 dollars in tips now, people are so happy. they have no clue I'm never ever going to donate anything. my mom and dad are super stingy with themselves and they also rarely tip but they are actually paying for the education of at least 6 people, 2 in America and 4 in india. the cabbies and lawn mowing people and movers etc that class of people would never guess that.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:25 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Not just the grocery bags, i use the vegetable bags too (netted ones with a zip) that i got from india. These are awesome even to store the veggies and fuits in the fridge. The produce is aerated well and so they don't rot. I got a coupla dozens of them from India. Very useful.

oh that is so thoughtful. I'm going to get one of those woven plastic lanyard grocery bags for myself when I go to india. I'm going to shop rite! as I'm growing older I definitely want to be responsible, esp the act of looking responsible in front of everyone is so rewarding. people THINK you're a good person. like I just enjoy giving 2 dollars in tips now, people are so happy. they have no clue I'm never ever going to donate anything. my mom and dad are super stingy with themselves and they also rarely tip but they are actually paying for the education of at least 6 people, 2 in America and 4 in india. the cabbies and lawn mowing people and movers etc that class of people would never guess that.

That is so awesome! There's nothing like sponsoring for a child's education. You need not donate to any institution. Just sponsor a child's education (hopefully, directly) like your parents are doing. And yeah, tipping a dollar or two more won't make you poor. You can still sponsor Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

That is so touching, Janice.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down