Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd largest consumer debt

4 posters

Go down

2nd largest consumer debt Empty 2nd largest consumer debt

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 am

is student loans; mortgage loans being the first. I guess this definitely puts Indian kids along with other rich kids at an advantage.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

2nd largest consumer debt Empty Re: 2nd largest consumer debt

Post by indophile Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 am

May be its time for the Indian govt. (both Central & State) to reduce its participation (and thereby increase students' responsibility) in college education, or make it's participation a student loan. Otherwise this proliferation of engineering colleges/medical colleges, and the slide in the quality of education does not stop.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 am

This is in the US. Why does it put the Indian kids at an advantage ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 am

Instead of 300 colleges awarding worthless degrees in some states, it could be whittled down to some 30 colleges offering quality education. You see some people with political connections start these colleges as a ploy for land grab, and as an opportunity to bilk the govt through grants and loans (never to be repaid), and some don't even have a decent building, let alone labs and machines.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:This is in the US. Why does it put the Indian kids at an advantage ?
My bad I meant Indo-American kids. I'm guessing > 95% of parents would pay for their Tution costs

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:This is in the US. Why does it put the Indian kids at an advantage ?
My bad I meant Indo-American kids. I'm guessing > 95% of parents would pay for their Tution costs

Most desi kids are supported by their parents in their undergraduate education. Except of course, in the case of Pvt colleges. where the parents have to pay some 250K over 4 years and kids might opt for some student loans.

BTW, if the combined family income is over 150K (which is most Indians after 20+ yrs in US), then the kids qualify for very little scholarships, and only for student loans at 6.8%.

So education is not cheap in US as well, but at least they do get an EDUCATION - although diluted over the last few decades.

Send them to Europe for still goodly education (Even there 3rd rate college factories have come up now).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Most desi kids are supported by their parents in their undergraduate education. Except of course, in the case of Pvt colleges. where the parents have to pay some 250K over 4 years and kids might opt for some student loans.

BTW, if the combined family income is over 150K (which is most Indians after 20+ yrs in US), then the kids qualify for very little scholarships, and only for student loans at 6.8%.

So education is not cheap in US as well, but at least they do get an EDUCATION - although diluted over the last few decades.

Send them to Europe for still goodly education (Even there 3rd rate college factories have come up now).

well.. i know someone whose MS in Biotechnology from UK was not recognized (accredited) to do PhD at least in 10 universities (middle tier) in the US

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

well.. i know someone whose MS in Biotechnology from UK was not recognized (accredited) to do PhD at least in 10 universities (middle tier) in the US

Biotechnology in India and Europe is different from Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering programs in the US (even in the US, other than the top 25 the rest are new and have a long long way to go). They throw in a few botany and zoology courses and some rudimentary labs calling it Biotechnology. People in everywhere should avoid BioTECHNOLOGY if they want to do graduate work in US (unless they want to do Biotechnology in the US - which comes under agricultural engineering).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down