Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled

Go down

Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled Empty Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm

http://www.thehoot.org/web/How-the-media-helped-scuttle-Gopal-Subramaniam-s-appointment/7606-1-1-5-true.html

Back to top Go down

Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled Empty Re: Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:http://www.thehoot.org/web/How-the-media-helped-scuttle-Gopal-Subramaniam-s-appointment/7606-1-1-5-true.html
What is special about it? Congress did the same with Veerappa Moily scuttling a sitting judge's appointment ?
If folks did not object to it then , they have no locus standii to object now.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled Empty Re: Modi's India: How the GS appointment was scuttled

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:56 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:http://www.thehoot.org/web/How-the-media-helped-scuttle-Gopal-Subramaniam-s-appointment/7606-1-1-5-true.html
What is special about it? Congress did the same with Veerappa Moily scuttling a sitting judge's appointment ?

which judge? what were the reasons given? In the case of GS, it appears to be a vendetta against him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Former Union Law Minister and senior advocate Shanti Bhushan has criticised the Narendra Modi government for dropping senior advocate Gopal Subramanium’s name for the post of a Supreme Court judge on flimsy grounds.

In a statement, he said, “The letter of Mr. Gopal Subramanium to the Chief Justice of India R.M. Lodha withdrawing his consent for appointment as a judge of the Supreme Court has created quite a furore in the country. People are getting reminded of 1973 when Indira Gandhi directed Mohan Kumaramangalam to take steps to have a committed judiciary. It is quite clear that the CBI and the IB have been induced to do a hatchet job for the BJP, which was angry with Gopal Subramanium as an amicus curiae appointed by the Supreme Court for taking a tough stand in the Sohrabuddin, Kauser Bi and Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter cases, in which Mr. Amit Shah has been chargesheeted.”

Mr. Bhushan said the BJP had insisted that the CBI was a tool of the Congress government. “We had seen this repeatedly in the corruption cases against Ms. Mayawati and Mr. Mulayam Singh. The CBI and the IB have raised two questions about the suitability of Mr. Subramanium,” he said.

Mr. Bhushan said the first reason given by the government for opposing Mr. Subramanium’s appointment was ridiculous. “The government says that a conversation between Nira Radia and some third person shows Mr. Subramanium in poor light. On the contrary, the conversation between Ms. Radia and industrialist Ratan Tata, where his name is mentioned, shows him in a very favourable light, since Ms. Radia says, ‘I am not sure that he (Mr. Subramanium) will agree to what they say. He is an upright person. I think Raja will be trying to get the AG (Vahanvati).’”

Mr. Bhushan added, “So far as the other reason given by the government is concerned, that is meeting the lawyer of Mr. Raja in his chamber, I do not think that there is anything unprofessional in such a meeting in the presence of CBI officers. An allegation of this type is absurd.”

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/shanti-bhushan-slams-govt-on-gopal-subramanium-issue/article6155953.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

which prospective judge? what were the reasons given? In the case of GS, it appears to be a vendetta against him.

*Corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

which judge? what were the reasons given? In the case of GS, it appears to be a vendetta against him.
Please use Google if you do not know about these things! Did somebody ask the Congress party, about their reasons? If nobody asked then, nobody can ask now. 

That guy was perceived as a pro-Congress judge, allegedly doing Congress Party's Political bidding,  and Congress party just before it went out of power, nominated him. Naturally BJP government has the right to disregard the nomination of a partisan judge. 

End of discussion.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:19 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Please use Google if you do not know about these things! Did somebody ask the Congress party, about their reasons? If nobody asked then, nobody can ask now. 

That guy was perceived as a pro-Congress judge, allegedly doing Congress Party's Political bidding,  and Congress party just before it went out of power, nominated him. Naturally BJP government has the right to disregard the nomination of a partisan judge. 

End of discussion.

you seem to be ignorant of how supreme court judges are appointed in india. the congress party did not nominate him; it was the Supreme Court Collegium (consisting of the Chief Justice of India and the senior most judges of Supreme Court) which nominated him. Congress had nothing to do with the nomination process.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

End of discussion.

you seem to be ignorant of how supreme court judges are appointed in india. the congress party did not nominate him; it was the Supreme Court Collegium (consisting of the Chief Justice of India and the senior most judges of Supreme Court) which nominated him. Congress had nothing to do with the nomination process.

May be so! The nomination process was initiated when the previous Congress led UPA was in power. That does not change anything else I mentioned. End of discussion

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

End of discussion.

May be so! The nomination process was initiated when the previous Congress led UPA was in power. That does not change anything else I mentioned. End of discussion

your main argument was that the Congress party nominated him and hence the BJP had the right to reject his nomination. Your argument has fallen on its face since as i explained it is the Supreme Court Collegium which nominated GS. Has the Modi Govt undermined the independence of the judiciary by scuttling GS's nomination?

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

End of discussion.

your main argument was that the Congress party nominated him and hence the BJP had the right to reject his nomination. Your argument has fallen on its face since as i explained it is the Supreme Court Collegium which nominated GS. Has the Modi Govt undermined the independence of the judiciary by scuttling GS's nomination?
You need to fix your reading comprehension. Let me repeat my primary arguments.
a) Nobody has the right to ask BJP, when nobody asked Congress.
b) GS was allegedly considered partisan and was perceived to be doing the
    bidding of Congress party.

Both (a) and (b) remain.

After you pointed out his nomination, I said except his nomination aspect, everything else of what I said stays. So end of discussion.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

End of discussion.

Both (a) and (b) remain.

After you pointed out his nomination, I said except his nomination aspect, everything else of what I said stays. So end of discussion.

GS was considered partisan by who? By the BJP. Because he was fiercely independent. The Supreme Court judges hearing Amit Shah's case asked GS to be an amicus curae (friend of the court--i might have the spelling wrong) and GS agreed. GS then convinced the court to direct a CBI enquiry against Amit Shah since there was sufficient evidence showing the guilt of Shah which the Modified Gujarat police was not investigating. It was because of this that Modi and Shah are carrying out a vendetta against GS.

I don't have the facts for what the Cong did, but what the BJP did in the case of GS is patently wrong and compromises the independence of the judiciary.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Both (a) and (b) remain.

GS was considered partisan by who? By the BJP. Because he was fiercely independent. The Supreme Court judges hearing Amit Shah's case asked GS to be an amicus curae (friend of the court--i might have the spelling wrong) and GS agreed. GS then convinced the court to direct a CBI enquiry against Amit Shah since there was sufficient evidence showing the guilt of Shah which the Modified Gujarat police was not investigating. It was because of this that Modi and Shah are carrying out a vendetta against GS.

I don't have the facts for what the Cong did, but what the BJP did in the case of GS is patently wrong and compromises the independence of the judiciary.  
Majority of BJP voters and supporters would agree to (b). You and other Congress Sickularists might not agree. But who cares? We still have (a). Congress did it. It does not matter why. The moment you get into why, there are always two sides to a story and all the facts never come out anyway. Nobody asked Congress then , so nobody has the locus standii to  ask now. End of Discussion.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Both (a) and (b) remain.

Majority of BJP voters and supporters would agree to (b). You and other Congress Sickularists might not agree. But who cares? We still have (a). Congress did it. It does not matter why. The moment you get into why, there are always two sides to a story and all the facts never come out anyway. Nobody asked Congress then , so nobody has the locus standii to  ask now. End of Discussion.

Chief Justice of India has complained that what Modi Govt did to GS was wrong. No such thing happened in the case of when Congress Govt was in power. you seem to be giving excuses.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Both (a) and (b) remain.

Chief Justice of India has complained that what Modi Govt did to GS was wrong. No such thing happened in the case of when Congress Govt was in power. you seem to be giving excuses.
Check your facts. CJI simply pointed to the procedural issues of segregating names without his permission. Not the decision itself. He then sort of re-iterated independence of judiciary. The governments are allowed to have their say. That is part of standard procedure. Even Modi/Swamy are both agreeing that from a technical procedure standpoint, this should have been followed.

I am not making excuses to anything. I am just stating that Congress Supporters have no locus standii to question this, when they allowed Congress to do the same, and did not question it then.In addition, I pointed out a plausible reason (b) given above for the GOI to do this. From their point of view, public is better off without an allegedly partisan judge.

Thus in summary, Congress Folks have no right to discuss this, having allowed congress to do the same.  End of discussion. 

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:08 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Both (a) and (b) remain.

Check your facts. CJI simply pointed to the procedural issues of segregating names without his permission. Not the decision itself. He then sort of re-iterated independence of judiciary. The governments are allowed to have their say. That is part of standard procedure. Even Modi/Swamy are both agreeing that from a technical procedure standpoint, this should have been followed.

I am not making excuses to anything. I am just stating that Congress Supporters have no locus standii to question this, when they allowed Congress to do the same, and did not question it then.In addition, I pointed out a plausible reason (b) given above for the GOI to do this. From their point of view, public is better off without an allegedly partisan judge.

Thus in summary, Congress Folks have no right to discuss this, having allowed congress to do the same.  End of discussion. 

More excuses? CJI clearly disagreed with the decision of the Modi govt because he tried to get GS to retract his withdrawal from the nomination process, but GS refused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down