Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which one do you prefer?

4 posters

Go down

which one do you prefer? Empty which one do you prefer?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 pm

the phrase, "old wine in a new bottle" reminded me of this:

version 1:

version 2:

version 3:

version 4:

which one do you prefer?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

which one do you prefer? Empty Re: which one do you prefer?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:58 am

Olivier's version.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Olivier's version.

thank you for that. certainly the olivier portrayal is one of the best. my own favorite is the brief clip of ian richardson and patrick stewart (version 3). apparently this was done for a bbc television serial titled, "civilisation: a personal view" by kenneth clark. it is only brief, i don't think they televised the whole play, but it keeps you wishing they did the whole play. it's beautifully picturized, and i would have loved seeing ian richardson playing hamlet.  i am not a fan of watching shakespeare plays with modern costumes and sets. it is jarring. i've watched the PBS macbeth with patrick stewart in the lead role, and while i enjoyed it, i kept wishing they had stuck to a period set and period costumes.

some more info about the cameo in civilisation:

http://thehamletweblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/civilisation-personal-view-by-kenneth.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:58 pm

didn't watch any but i know i will prefer the version where it is done the proper way - no modern takes or characters based on the original ones etc.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:07 pm

bw wrote:didn't watch any but i know i will prefer the version where it is done the proper way - no modern takes or characters based on the original ones etc.

in that case, watch version 3. it's a short clip, some four minutes or so. i watched a few youtube clips of the 1995 richard III movie starring ian mckellan in the lead role. the screenplay is verbatim shakespeare, but the movie set and the characters' costumes are placed in the 1930s. mckellan seems to portray richard III as part machiavelli and part hitler. i think i am going to rent some of these RSC/bbc movies and watch it with my mother later this summer. she is a shakespeare enthusiast and might enjoy these.

here:

an even more modern and darker version, this one:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:didn't watch any but i know i will prefer the version where it is done the proper way - no modern takes or characters based on the original ones etc.

in that case, watch version 3. it's a short clip, some four minutes or so. i watched a few youtube clips of the 1995 richard III movie starring ian mckellan in the lead role. the screenplay is verbatim shakespeare, but the movie set and the characters' costumes are placed in the 1930s. mckellan seems to portray richard III as part machiavelli and part hitler. i think i am going to rent some of these RSC/bbc movies and watch it with my mother later this summer. she is a shakespeare enthusiast and might enjoy these.  

i don't know if you have watched the BBC production of all shakespeare plays. they are done really well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Shakespeare-Collection-Alan-Rickman/dp/B000B6F8V4

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:44 am

>>>Ditto.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 am

how about this? the BBC one featuring derek jacobi.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:07 am

The version # 4 (Olivier's version)?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

The version # 4 (Olivier's version)?

i prefer the BBC one with derek jacobi. of the 4 above, yeah, i will choose the olivier version.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm

will probably be taken down from youtube soon. so watch before it is taken down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0femJ-r2wQU
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down