Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any nellika (amla) fans?

+5
b_A
nevada
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
9 posters

Go down

Any nellika (amla) fans?  Empty Any nellika (amla) fans?

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:49 pm

The mango thread triggered this memory. I used to love nellika pickles and after a long time found them about a year back at some store. Like Max says in the mango thread, the store pickle is nothing like the homemade variety, but still beats not having any.  My mother used to send me her own mango pickles for years, but it never occurred to me at ask for nellika.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Any nellika (amla) fans?  Empty Re: Any nellika (amla) fans?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Kris wrote:The mango thread triggered this memory. I used to love nellika pickles and after a long time found them about a year back at some store. Like Max says in the mango thread, the store pickle is nothing like the homemade variety, but still beats not having any.  My mother used to send me her own mango pickles for years, but it never occurred to me at ask for nellika.

Nellikai is good but it should not be large pieces.. Should be cut into small pieces for it to be good.

My favorite is Maanga-Inji (this seems to be difficult to get even in Madras). This gives you the taste of both Mangai and Inji, andd looks almost like Inji.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:The mango thread triggered this memory. I used to love nellika pickles and after a long time found them about a year back at some store. Like Max says in the mango thread, the store pickle is nothing like the homemade variety, but still beats not having any.  My mother used to send me her own mango pickles for years, but it never occurred to me at ask for nellika.

Nellikai is good but it should not be large pieces.. Should be cut into small pieces for it to be good.

My favorite is Maanga-Inji (this seems to be difficult to get even in Madras). This gives you the taste of both Mangai and Inji, andd looks almost like Inji.

we get that at indian grocery stores here but rarely without garlic. i hate garlic in indian pickles.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:04 pm

>>>Why? I thought they had them in stores. Doesn't Grand Sweets also not make pickles?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

we get that at indian grocery stores here but rarely without garlic. i hate garlic in indian pickles.

>>I am not much of a garlic person either (in fact ate it for the first time only after coming to the US as a pizza topping, I think). Weirdly, we were on a cruise once and after a few days I missed Indian food and said this to an Indian doctor. He had come prepared with everything including nellikai pickles and offered it to me promptly.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Love it. We call it usiri kaya. Back in school a friend of mine had a tree in his backyard and would get a whole bunch of these for us. The pickle is awesome too, I like it more than the mango pickle. And besides the pickle, I have had usiri kaya preserves - boiled, lightly sweetened. It has a nice sweet and sour taste.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:16 pm

nevada wrote:Love it. We call it usiri kaya. Back in school a friend of mine had a tree in his backyard and would get a whole bunch of these for us. The pickle is awesome too, I like it more than the mango pickle. And besides the pickle, I have had usiri kaya preserves - boiled, lightly sweetened. It has a nice sweet and sour taste.

>>>I like the big variety. One of my friends had a tree in his house. In 7th grade, we used to eat bulk up on this every evening and eat it with salt and chilly powder. Heaven!! Likewise with guava. My cousin has a tree in his house in L.A. Everytime I visit him, he insists I take a few for the road.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:32 pm

We had a Andhra Vaadu in my parents circle (they had mostly andhra vaadus) who home-made Tomato pickle and sold it for Rs 5 per horlicks bottle (in those days.) A kamma Naidu from the Tiruttani-Tirupathi area.

That is THE BESTEST pickle I have EVER had.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Is inji ginger ? Priya mango-ginger pickle is available here in most indian stores. (maynot be in KS) and tastes good. It is not made from a mix of mango and ginger but a variety of ginger called mamidi-allam in telugu .

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 pm

b_A wrote:

Is inji ginger ? Priya mango-ginger pickle is available here in most indian stores. (maynot be in KS) and tastes good. It is not made from a mix of mango and ginger but a variety of ginger called mamidi-allam in telugu .

yes. we get it too, but it always comes incorporated with garlic. the store used to carry both kinds, the garlic infused kind and the thing without garlic. but nowadays they've been carrying only the garlickified version. i have no objection to garlic elsewhere, but it really messes up the flavors of southern indian pickles. which idiot came up with the idea of infusing garlic in southern indian pickles?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
b_A wrote:

yes. we get it too, but it always comes incorporated with garlic. the store used to carry both kinds, the garlic infused kind and the thing without garlic. but nowadays they've been carrying only the garlickified version. i have no objection to garlic elsewhere, but it really messes up the flavors of southern indian pickles. which idiot came up with the idea of infusing garlic in southern indian pickles?

Once , I saw raw mamidi-allam in a Patel Brothers store. But it didn't look like fresh stock, so I didn't but. If you can get some , you can make your own pickle. We used to make a simple pickle in my childhood days. Just cut into pieces and soak in lemon juice along with some green chili pieces for a couple of days. The problem was that we were never able to wait and consume it in full within a day. It is a good combination with pappannam ( rice mixed with plain cooked dal).

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
b_A wrote:

yes. we get it too, but it always comes incorporated with garlic.  the store used to carry both kinds, the garlic infused kind and the thing without garlic. but nowadays they've been carrying only the garlickified version.  i have no objection to garlic elsewhere, but it really messes up the flavors of southern indian pickles. which idiot came up with the idea of infusing garlic in southern indian pickles?
Max, 

You mean Tamil or tambrahm pickles.  Telugu pickles always had garlic.  We use full garlic in most pick;es. It is one of the best parts.  

In AP ,  commercially available pickles are as good or better than home made pickles. Priya pickles is well known. But there are many other mom and pop shops that are doing roaring business and they are really good. They also make local snacks as good as home made.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
b_A wrote:

yes. we get it too, but it always comes incorporated with garlic.  the store used to carry both kinds, the garlic infused kind and the thing without garlic. but nowadays they've been carrying only the garlickified version.  i have no objection to garlic elsewhere, but it really messes up the flavors of southern indian pickles. which idiot came up with the idea of infusing garlic in southern indian pickles?
Max, 

You mean Tamil or tambrahm pickles.  Telugu pickles always had garlic.  We use full garlic in most pick;es. It is one of the best parts.  

In AP ,  commercially available pickles are as good or better than home made pickles. Priya pickles is well known. But there are many other mom and pop shops that are doing roaring business and they are really good. They also make local snacks as good as home made.

whole garlic pieces are the best part of mango pickle. something happens to garlic when it soaks in hot oil, it elevates to greatness rarely achieved by other ingredients...italians also get this which is why their oils are usually infused with garlic. professore has a limited palate

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:23 am

Even in AP, many pickles made by Brahmins come with NO garlic in them. In some areas (north coastal and godavari) Avakai, Thokku Pacchadi and Gongura come with optional garlic variants. However, they are never crushed as is done by Priya and its rival brands which makes all pickles taste and smell the same be it one of Ginger, Amla or Tomato. They are made by putting in freshly peeled whole cloves (either raw or mildly fried) and letting the oil soak the flavors.

In AP ,  commercially available pickles are as good or better than home made pickles.

So untrue in my experience. Where is the inguva oil (asofoetida) aroma in the commercial ones? Generally only garlic seems to dominate them. And then I am yet to see some types viz. menthikAya, bellam AvakAya, nooni mAgaya, dOsAvakaya etc.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am

smArtha wrote:

Even in AP, many pickles made by Brahmins come with NO garlic in them. In some areas (north coastal and godavari) Avakai, Thokku Pacchadi and Gongura come with optional garlic variants. However, they are never crushed as is done by Priya and its rival brands which makes all pickles taste and smell the same be it one of Ginger, Amla or Tomato. They are made by putting in freshly peeled whole cloves (either raw or mildly fried) and letting the oil soak the flavors.

In AP ,  commercially available pickles are as good or better than home made pickles.

So untrue in my experience. Where is the inguva oil (asofoetida) aroma in the commercial ones? Generally only garlic seems to dominate them. And then I am yet to see some types viz. menthikAya, bellam AvakAya, nooni mAgaya, dOsAvakaya etc.

I havent had any of the ones you listed but curious how is dosavakaya pickled? is it dosakaya+avakaya?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

truthbetold wrote:

Telugu pickles always had garlic.  We use full garlic in most pick;es. It is one of the best parts.  

[/quote]

Not nec. true. In our house, we never have garlic in our pickles. Not all Priya pickles have garlic in them.

In our home, we eat Usirikaaya (amla) pickle in the morning before eating anything else. We don't eat it on Sundays or in the evenings!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

I havent had any of the ones you listed but curious how is dosavakaya pickled? is it dosakaya+avakaya?

I made this recently and it came out really well:

http://www.sailusfood.com/2006/05/09/dosa-avakai-dosavakaya-andhra-yellow-cucumber-pickle/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:39 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Propa,

You don't know what you are missing! Dosaavakaaya ghaatugaa untundi. Bellam aavakaaya Godavari area lo chEstaaru, chaalaa baavuntundi.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am

Kinnera wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I made this recently and it came out really well:

http://www.sailusfood.com/2006/05/09/dosa-avakai-dosavakaya-andhra-yellow-cucumber-pickle/

oh geez that pongal w/pickle photo's making my stomach rumble. the pickle jar, ghee container and steel plate have something to do with it too

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 am

smArtha wrote:

Avakayalu and pacchadlu is an andhra thing. They make such a variety of things there. In the heart of Rayalaseema, peeps don't know and don't make many pickles or chutneys. All they know is 'chinna mukkala ooragaya', made with raw mangoes cut into small pieces and 'tomato ooragaya'. That's it. I checked with my mom just now. Mom learned to pickle 'avakaya' from her andhra neighbors in hyd. She never tasted it until she came to hyd after her marriage.

Coming to chutneys, they know kobbari (coconut) pacchadi, chinkkayala oorumindi (peanut chutney) and vankaya pacchadi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Propa,

You don't know what you are missing!  Dosaavakaaya ghaatugaa untundi.  Bellam aavakaaya Godavari area lo chEstaaru, chaalaa baavuntundi.

I somehow associate pickles with vegetables that have intense flavor....ginger, green/red chili, tomato, mango. how does dosakaya with mild flavor turnout when pickled? can it withstand the strong and overpowering flavors of mustard, red chilis and still have taste or is it all texture?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 am

Two varieties of amlas. One the soft one and the other the hard (the one used in pickles). I used to like eating both raw. It tastes sweet if you drink water after eating the hard amlas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm

The most famous way I have had amla is during winters in form of amla supari. it's either shredded or cut into small pieces, sun dried and I think salted big time (sugar too? not sure). A no-no if you have bp issues. But once I start eating those, hard to stop. XMil do send them whenever she gets a chance.

Other than that, some 60-year-old uncle once claimed that he had 3 fresh amla juice daily for 40 days and he got jet black hair again. I am always up for experimenting, so I got amla powder, and tried drinking it in 1 glass of water. Began this experiment many times, but could never continue after 3-4 days. I am highly inconsistent too. So anyway, just in case anyone else has the power to continue this experiment, do report the results.

edit: and oh, also amla murabba. not a huge fan though.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
I somehow associate pickles with vegetables that have intense flavor....ginger, green/red chili, tomato, mango. how does dosakaya with mild flavor turnout when pickled? can it withstand the strong and overpowering flavors of mustard, red chilis and still have taste or is it all texture?

It can and you'll be 'pungently' surprised. Just choose real raw and crispy dosakai. You can even taste a piece when cut and use it only if it is both crispy, juicy and has a tiny bit of natural sour taste. Rest all is avakai formula with some reduced salt. Make smaller quantities as this doesn't stay well for more than a couple of weeks (unless deep frozen and I don't prefer it that way).

Menthikaya is methi flavored pickle. We use dry roasted fenugreek seed powder in place of mustard powder used in avakai. But there are differences in the making from avakai. In avakai it is normal sesame oil that is used to mix chilli+mustard+salt powders and mango pieces. Howeevr, for Menthikaya the sesame oil is slow heated in a pan with sufficient asofoetida (not in excess but enough to generate a mild but perceivable aroma). To this the red mirchi powder and menthi seed powder are added and mildly fried. This mixture is then added to the avakai style fresh cut mango pieces. It is kept for a day to marinate and then next day the pieces and mixture are separated and sun dried during the day and mixed back for overnight. This process of separate drying and mixing back is done for two or three days (depending on the intensity of sun heat and temperature). After the final iteration the mixture is packed for long term use. It is now ready for consumption mixed with hot rice and ghee. Unlike avakai this is considered a cooling pickle due to the menthi.

I'll write about others later.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Avakayalu and pacchadlu is an andhra thing. They make such a variety of things there.

Yes. kAdEdi ooragAyaki anarham. So say andhra Nala Bheemas :-)

Kinnera wrote:
Coming to chutneys, they know kobbari (coconut) pacchadi, chinkkayala oorumindi (peanut chutney) and vankaya pacchadi.

I can repeat the above line for pacchadi too :-)

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25 pm

smArtha wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Avakayalu and pacchadlu is an andhra thing. They make such a variety of things there.

Yes. kAdEdi ooragAyaki anarham. So say andhra Nala Bheemas :-)

Kinnera wrote:

I can repeat the above line for pacchadi too :-)

speaking of chutneys, got some snake gourd from friends over the weekend that my wife dont know what to do with so I made roti-pacchadi with yogurt today. it didnt come out perfect since I didnt boil it soft enough but got the basic taste down. also made potlayakaya pesarapappu koora which came out great

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm

smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

It can and you'll be 'pungently' surprised. Just choose real raw and crispy dosakai. You can even taste a piece when cut and use it only if it is both crispy, juicy and has a tiny bit of natural sour taste. Rest all is avakai formula with some reduced salt. Make smaller quantities as this doesn't stay well for more than a couple of weeks (unless deep frozen and I don't prefer it that way).

Menthikaya is methi flavored pickle. We use dry roasted fenugreek seed powder in place of mustard powder used in avakai. But there are differences in the making from avakai. In avakai it is normal sesame oil that is used to mix chilli+mustard+salt powders and mango pieces. Howeevr, for Menthikaya the sesame oil is slow heated in a pan with sufficient asofoetida (not in excess but enough to generate a mild but perceivable aroma). To this the red mirchi powder and menthi seed powder are added and mildly fried. This mixture is then added to the avakai style fresh cut mango pieces.  It is kept for a day to marinate and then next day the pieces and mixture are separated and sun dried during the day and mixed back for overnight. This process of separate drying and mixing back is done for two or three days (depending on the intensity of sun heat and temperature). After the final iteration the mixture is packed for long term use. It is now ready for consumption mixed with hot rice and ghee. Unlike avakai this is considered a cooling pickle due to the menthi.

never heard or had this variation...with the marination and drying process it sounds like the mango pieces would absorb the spices & salt heavily. must taste awesome with hot rice. which part of andhra is this from? my folks dont make it...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:22 pm

VP and smartha, (and max)

I just learned from your posts that andhra pickles have garlic vs non garlic versions. I am sure both versions are good.

Unless you have religious objections, I suggest you try the garlic variety. It is second to none in taste.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Speaking of dosakaya pachadi, you should try the nalgonda variety. They grow dosakaya everywhere. Mostly on the dividers between different land parcels. It is abundant and they use it for everything. Dosakaya pickle fresh, dosakaya pappu(dal), vepudu(fried), pulusu(gravy), and mixed gravy with everything (potato, tomato etc.).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 pm

truthbetold wrote:Speaking of dosakaya pachadi,  you should try the nalgonda variety. They grow dosakaya everywhere. Mostly on the dividers between different land parcels.  It is abundant and they use it for everything. Dosakaya pickle fresh, dosakaya pappu(dal), vepudu(fried),  pulusu(gravy), and mixed gravy with everything (potato, tomato etc.).  

JaggayyapEta dosakaayalu!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Menthikaya is methi flavored pickle. We use dry roasted fenugreek seed powder in place of mustard powder used in avakai. But there are differences in the making from avakai. In avakai it is normal sesame oil that is used to mix chilli+mustard+salt powders and mango pieces. Howeevr, for Menthikaya the sesame oil is slow heated in a pan with sufficient asofoetida (not in excess but enough to generate a mild but perceivable aroma). To this the red mirchi powder and menthi seed powder are added and mildly fried. This mixture is then added to the avakai style fresh cut mango pieces.  It is kept for a day to marinate and then next day the pieces and mixture are separated and sun dried during the day and mixed back for overnight. This process of separate drying and mixing back is done for two or three days (depending on the intensity of sun heat and temperature). After the final iteration the mixture is packed for long term use. It is now ready for consumption mixed with hot rice and ghee. Unlike avakai this is considered a cooling pickle due to the menthi.

never heard or had this variation...with the marination and drying process it sounds like the mango pieces would absorb the spices & salt heavily. must taste awesome with hot rice. which part of andhra is this from? my folks dont make it...

Menthiaavakaaya manavEpu chEsthaaru. Aavapindi kannaa menthi pindi manchidi ta (vEdi cheyyadu). Diabetics can eat it.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down