Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uttar Pradeshi who conquered the English language

Go down

The Uttar Pradeshi who conquered the English language Empty The Uttar Pradeshi who conquered the English language

Post by Guest Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:14 pm

In the 1950s and 1960s Pandit Kanhaiyya Lal Mishra ( 1903-1975 ) strode like a colossus in the Allahabad High Court bar. He was Advocate General of U.P.for about 15 years from 1952 onwards. In 1957 he was offered Judgeship of the Supreme Court, which he declined.

He had been brilliant since his youth. When he sat for the I.C.S. examination he got an unbelieveble 100% in the English paper . The well known writer and critic, Sir Arthur Quiller Couch, who had examined Kanhaiyya Lal Mishra's answer copy, wrote to Prof. Dunn of the Allahabad University " It is Englishmen who conquered India, but it is Kanhaiyya Lal Mishra who has conquered English".

I heard Pt. Kanhaiyya Lal arguing in the Allahabad High Court, though in his declining years, but even then his command over the English language and articulation was marvellous. I simply cannot describe it, it had to be heard to be believed !

Link

---
The 100% he got in English in the ICS exam was when the British were ruling India. This makes his achievement even more remarkable.

Back to top Go down