Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the beauty of such

5 posters

Go down

the beauty of such Empty the beauty of such

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am

Everytime another Indian speaks to me in Hindi, I feel the need to report it here. And my response to them, and the response of others to them, and my response to the other responders to the hindi speakers... *phew* easier to just split India!

Anyway, had food in saravana bhavan in west windsor y'day. Waiters talked to us in hindi. Other patrons were mostly SIs (don't ask me how I figured it out, I just did). Not sure what language the waiters used w/ them. I will ask them next time what their ethnicity was, and what language(s) do they use and why... just for science.  Then we can label them as bleddy ingratiates or idiot bimaru migrating rabbits or smart tip-collecting language flippers!

Oh, and there was chana bhatura and pav bhaji in the menu (online menu doesn't list pb, but I think I saw it). I did see some SI patron relishing chana bhatura. I may next time walk up to them and ask who they were and why they be eating NI food in a SI restaurant. Just for science.

The obligatory pic.

the beauty of such SD9FAZ6

Back to top Go down

the beauty of such Empty Re: the beauty of such

Post by Kris Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Everytime another Indian speaks to me in Hindi, I feel the need to report it here. And my response to them, and the response of others to them, and my response to the other responders to the hindi speakers... *phew* easier to just split India!

Anyway, had food in saravana bhavan in west windsor y'day. Waiters talked to us in hindi. Other patrons were mostly SIs (don't ask me how I figured it out, I just did). Not sure what language the waiters used w/ them. I will ask them next time what their ethnicity was, and what language(s) do they use and why... just for science.  Then we can label them as bleddy ingratiates or idiot bimaru migrating rabbits or smart tip-collecting language flippers!

Oh, and there was chana bhatura and pav bhaji in the menu (online menu doesn't list pb, but I think I saw it). I did see some SI patron relishing chana bhatura. I may next time walk up to them and ask who they were and why they be eating NI food in a SI restaurant. Just for science.

The obligatory pic.

>>> I covered my bases yesterday. I went to a Chaat place yesterday for lunch. The wait seemed like an eternity and the food (chole bhatura) horrible when it finally came. I spoke to the waiters in English, so they couldn't have guessed where I was from. They also spoke in English. Went to a dosa place last night when we were having the aapam/ dosa discussion there. I ordered a dosa and 2 idlis. The food came right away, but it was horrible. I spoke to the hostess in English, so she couldn't have guessed my caste and sub-caste or where  I was from. I had earlier thought of take-out kabab at a Pakistani place, but ruled it out. 

Moral of the story: Language and caste considerations aside , the local Indian restaurants aside are crappy. Pizza is great food.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 am

Kris wrote:Moral of the story: Language and caste considerations aside , the local Indian restaurants aside are crappy. Pizza is great food

Indian food in bay area is crappy, atleast when compared to the desi food in east coast. Heard it from too many people, and experienced it in a short visit myself. And pizza here is better too Razz You suck it all up there just so that you could enjoy the spring weather all year through.

edit: removed 'wrong conclusion'... you did mention 'local indian restaurants'.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:01 pm

What you saw was Chana Masala, not Chana Bhatura. The masalas in the curry are South Indian and it is eaten with a large poori, which is again different from the North Indian  bhatura. Regarding the Pav Bhaji, I have no comment other than to say that he is ashamed to list it in the online menu but opportunistic enough to sell it in the restaurant.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

nevada wrote:What you saw was Chana Masala, not Chana Bhatura. The masalas in the curry are South Indian and it is eaten with a large poori, which is again different from the North Indian  bhatura. Regarding the Pav Bhaji, I have no comment other than to say that he is ashamed to list it in the online menu but opportunistic enough to sell it in the restaurant.

I don't know what to say. The menu said chana bhatura, not poori. And it looked like a bhatura when the waiter wsa taking it for serving. You might be right about the prep of Chana being SI way. Will go to the rest again and see if I can snapshop the real menu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Everytime another Indian speaks to me in Hindi, I feel the need to report it here. And my response to them, and the response of others to them, and my response to the other responders to the hindi speakers... *phew* easier to just split India!

The obligatory pic.

>>> I covered my bases yesterday. I went to a Chaat place yesterday for lunch. The wait seemed like an eternity and the food (chole bhatura) horrible when it finally came. I spoke to the waiters in English, so they couldn't have guessed where I was from. They also spoke in English. Went to a dosa place last night when we were having the aapam/ dosa discussion there. I ordered a dosa and 2 idlis. The food came right away, but it was horrible. I spoke to the hostess in English, so she couldn't have guessed my caste and sub-caste or where  I was from. I had earlier thought of take-out kabab at a Pakistani place, but ruled it out. 

Moral of the story: Language and caste considerations aside , the local Indian restaurants aside are crappy. Pizza is great food.

Dosa place sucks these days. I am assuming you are in Bay Area. Try Ananda Bhavan. It seems to have good food these days. As far as North Indian food goes Rajjot for Parathas saag & kadhi, Kwality sweets for amritsari kulche. For gujju food Bhavikas.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kris wrote:Moral of the story: Language and caste considerations aside , the local Indian restaurants aside are crappy. Pizza is great food

Indian food in bay area is crappy, atleast when compared to the desi food in east coast. Heard it from too many people, and experienced it in a short visit myself. And pizza here is better too Razz You suck it all up there just so that you could enjoy the spring weather all year through.

edit: removed 'wrong conclusion'... you did mention 'local indian restaurants'.

We have better produce hands down!! After my month long trips to east coast, I just go to the local place and I eat simple soup, I can feel the difference.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 pm

"I will ask them next time what their ethnicity was, and what language(s) do they use and why... just for science." -- beatrix kiddo.

careful, now. that may embolden them to ask you whether your boobs are real, fake, or augmented, and whose harem you usually dance in. just for science.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:43 pm

swapna wrote:"I will ask them next time what their ethnicity was, and what language(s) do they use and why... just for science." -- beatrix kiddo.

careful, now. that may embolden them to ask you whether your boobs are real, fake, or augmented, and whose harem you usually dance in. just for science.

Is this a fake post to show the masses that recent ingratiations are not real ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down