Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi?

+3
indophile
seven
Kayalvizhi
7 posters

Go down

What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_lcap0%What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_lcap0%What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_lcap100%What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 4 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Empty What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi?

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:00 am

1) Hindi speaker. No, it could mean anyone who can speak Hindi.

2) Hindiwalah?

3) Hindian. I like this. But Rashmun is offended by it. I don't know why. I want to know the reason. If there is valid reason I will desist from using it.

4) People whose mother tongue in Hindi. Too long.

5) Other. Specify and explain.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Empty Re: What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi?

Post by seven Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 am

you call them Hindi.

seven

Back to top Go down

What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi? Empty Re: What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi?

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:43 am

seven wrote:you call them Hindi.

That could be confusing sometimes.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

Why? Don't we call Gujarati speakers Gujarati, Punjabi speakers Punjabi, Bengali speakers Bengali etc.?
We had Hindi speakers, Kutchi speakers, Bengali speakers, Oriyas, and Telugus as the local population in our hometown, and elders in the family used to refer to them as Hindusthani, Kutchi, Bengali, Oriya, and Telugu.
Note Hindi speakers are Hindusthanis. Hindusthani is also the everyday language that common people speak. Add a dose of Persian and Arabic words, and it becomes Urdu, and add a dose of Sanskrit and it becomes Hindi.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm

indophile wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

Why? Don't we call Gujarati speakers Gujarati, Punjabi speakers Punjabi, Bengali speakers Bengali etc.?
We had Hindi speakers, Kutchi speakers, Bengali speakers, Oriyas, and Telugus as the local population in our hometown, and elders in the family used to refer to them as Hindusthani, Kutchi, Bengali, Oriya, and Telugu.
Note Hindi speakers are Hindusthanis. Hindusthani is also the everyday language that common people speak. Add a dose of Persian and Arabic words, and it becomes Urdu, and add a dose of Sanskrit and it becomes Hindi.

Indo is correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:What to call one whose mother tongue is Hindi?

1) Hindi speaker. No, it could mean anyone who can speak Hindi.

2) Hindiwalah?

3) Hindian. I like this. But Rashmun is offended by it. I don't know why. I want to know the reason. If there is valid reason I will desist from using it.

4) People whose mother tongue in Hindi. Too long.

5) Other. Specify and explain.

>>>How about those who speak troll? Troll-ey? Wait, that can be confusing. Troll-ie, perhaps?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:44 pm

naarthindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:01 pm

"A Hindi spoke to me in Hindi in the elevator. I slapped the Hindi."  Does not look right.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:04 pm

indophile wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

that works because gujarat, punjab and bengal denote a certain region. it's like people saying "he speaks madrasi".

Last edited by bw on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Kinnera wrote:naarthindian

....looks like my contribution to SUCH vocab is continuing.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

"A Hindi spoke to me in Hindi in the elevator. I slapped the Hindi."  Does not look right.
then you use hindian. whatever looks right to you. i understand. 

my sister and our friends from childhood refer to tamil people as tamilnadu. "that maths tutor is tamilnadu", "lol she calls sin theta sin teeta (ta - talwar wala) because she is tamilnadu"

looks right to us. somehow tamil seems incomplete to us. 

i understand.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:36 am

Wiktionary says:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hindian
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down