Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Fluteholder]

3 posters

Go down

[Fluteholder] Empty [Fluteholder]

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:37 pm

How is the clay pot cooking going? I am thinking of trying it now that I know the scientific reason for why food cooked in a clay pot tastes different. What all have you been cooking in it?

Back to top Go down

[Fluteholder] Empty Re: [Fluteholder]

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 pm

It is going good but mostly on the weekends.  It takes longer to cook. I have cooked pongal (Kichadi), vegetable gravies, kurma, finely chopped cabbage poriyal, ambti. All of them tastes great. Even uppuma (rava)/cracked wheat uppuma tastes good.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 pm

FluteHolder wrote:It is going good but mostly on the weekends.  It takes longer to cook. I have cooked pongal (Kichadi), vegetable gravies, kurma, finely chopped cabbage poriyal, ambti. All of them tastes great. Even uppuma (rava)/cracked wheat uppuma tastes good.

do pongal/kichadi etc. stick to the sides and bottom? i am tempted to go buy one, just for the heck of it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:40 pm

FluteHolder wrote:It is going good but mostly on the weekends.  It takes longer to cook. I have cooked pongal (Kichadi), vegetable gravies, kurma, finely chopped cabbage poriyal, ambti. All of them tastes great. Even uppuma (rava)/cracked wheat uppuma tastes good.

Satti-Panai cooking MUST be done only with Kumuti. Otherwise it is not authentic.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:48 pm

In clay pot cooking, one must not use detergent or any kind of soap to clean the pot after cooking. If you do so some of the soap or detergent can remain stuck to the pot even after you rinse with water and then the clay pot could end up poisoning your food.

Last edited by Rashmun on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Since clay is alkaline it neutralizes or reduces any acidity in the food you are cooking ( for instance tomatoes which are known to be acidic) if you cook in a clay pot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 pm

All Indians have experienced clay pot cooking. Remember the taste of tea served in clay or earthen cups ( kulhads). Tea is slightly acidic ( unlike coffee or cocoa which are more strongly acidic) and serving tea in a clay pot neutralizes the acidity of the tea and hence the different taste. Clay is alkaline.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:02 am

Clay pots with porous inner area needs special care. What I have is glazed with/flat/smooth inner surface which will not have a problem with washing/using soap. 

Pongal  can stick in the bottom a bit but if you cook slowly and stir frequently not much sticks.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down