Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manjul Bhargava: Fields Medal Winner (Amazing)

Go down

Manjul Bhargava: Fields Medal Winner (Amazing) Empty Manjul Bhargava: Fields Medal Winner (Amazing)

Post by rawemotions Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:53 pm

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/fields-medal-winner-manjul-bhargava-interview-3-anciet

For the first time I see somebody saying that  he was inspired by ancient Indian mathematicians for his path breaking work.

Excerpts
We read in an interview that you have followed ancient Indian mathematics and works of Brahmagupta and Hemchandra. Please tell us a little more about what you feel about ancient Indian mathematics, and about Vedic mathematics too, on which there is a lot of debate in India.
A: In part because of the scientific nature of the Sanskrit language, many remarkable linguistic/poetic/mathematical works were written in ancient times in India. Growing up, I had a chance to read some of the works of the masters: the great linguists/poets such as Panini, Pingala, and Hemachandra, as well as the great mathematicians Aryabhata, Bhaskara, and of course Brahmagupta.  Their works contain incredible mathematical discoveries, and were very inspirational to me as a young mathematician.
The classic works of Pingala, Hemachandra, and Brahmagupta have been particularly influential in my own work.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down