Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paging Saamiyar

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
nevada
6 posters

Go down

Paging Saamiyar Empty Paging Saamiyar

Post by nevada Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm

I am traveling to India this week. I am taking 2 cell phones costing $103 each, a tablet costing about $300 as gifts. And I plan to carry my DSLR with zoom, flash etc for my personal use and not to gift to anyone.
Am I within the draconian Indian customs limits? My friend told me that for US citizens visiting India, the limit is 125000 Rs and the camera doesn't count at all because I plan to bring it back with me. 
Should I just slip $20 to a porter and escape customs or do I have no need  to do that?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Paging Saamiyar Empty Re: Paging Saamiyar

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 pm

nevada wrote:I am traveling to India this week. I am taking 2 cell phones costing $103 each, a tablet costing about $300 as gifts. And I plan to carry my DSLR with zoom, flash etc for my personal use and not to gift to anyone.
Am I within the draconian Indian customs limits? My friend told me that for US citizens visiting India, the limit is 125000 Rs and the camera doesn't count at all because I plan to bring it back with me. 
Should I just slip $20 to a porter and escape customs or do I have no need  to do that?

Nothing to worry... if at all they ask, tell then what you said here. If at all they give you trouble - ask them to enter them in the passport. They scan and catch people who smuggle Gold. 3, 4 years ago, my wife was caught with her chain etc. she said she brought them to wear at a couple of marriages. They said that would then be fine. They know who brings what to sell and make profit.

Would not worry much.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 pm

If you want to bribe make sure you speak in Hindi? Custom officials don't know no English.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
nevada wrote:I am traveling to India this week. I am taking 2 cell phones costing $103 each, a tablet costing about $300 as gifts. And I plan to carry my DSLR with zoom, flash etc for my personal use and not to gift to anyone.

Nothing to worry... if at all they ask, tell then what you said here. If at all they give you trouble - ask them to enter them in the passport. They scan  and catch people who smuggle Gold. 3, 4 years ago, my wife was caught with her chain etc. she said she brought them to wear at a couple of marriages. They said that would then be fine.   They know who brings what to sell and make profit.

Would not worry much.
Thanks man!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:46 pm

just 2 phones and an ipad? should have no trouble. i went to both madras and delhi this year and had no questions asked at the customs. of course, i wasn't carrying any electronic items as explicit gifts though i did leave my laptop behind at delhi.

don't try to bribe though! 20 USD? really? you are out of touch with india! Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 am

bw wrote:just 2 phones and an ipad? should have no trouble. i went to both madras and delhi this year and had no questions asked at the customs. of course, i wasn't carrying any electronic items as explicit gifts though i did leave my laptop behind at delhi.

don't try to bribe though! 20 USD? really?  you are out of touch with india! Smile

You are an exception....naturally people are terrified at your sight.......Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 am

bw wrote:just 2 phones and an ipad? should have no trouble. i went to both madras and delhi this year and had no questions asked at the customs. of course, i wasn't carrying any electronic items as explicit gifts though i did leave my laptop behind at delhi.

don't try to bribe though! 20 USD? really?  you are out of touch with india! Smile

You are an exception....naturally people are terrified at your sight.......Razz

yeah - bhadrakaaLi me!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:03 am

Nothing to worry... if at all they ask, tell then what you said here. If at all they give you trouble - ask them to enter them in the passport. They scan  and catch people who smuggle Gold. 3, 4 years ago, my wife was caught with her chain etc. she said she brought them to wear at a couple of marriages. They said that would then be fine.   They know who brings what to sell and make profit.

Would not worry much.
>>>Agree. I have not had any issues in years. Of course,  I hardly take anything. Even aside from that, the last time they questioned me was years ago. It was something about my wife's jewelry. I said I didn't know what she had. He gave me some figure and asked me if it exceeded it. I said I didn't think so. They had questioned her separately. He then blabbered something like ' there is a difference between not knowing and not thinking so'. I got irritated and snapped at him and said much as I appreciated the difference, I was jet lagged and tired. Fortunately I don't think he  understood what I said and just let us go. In fairness, there doesn't mean to be any harassment these days. It is just the pain of collecting your luggage, getting out of the damn airport and getting to bed.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Got out of customs without any issue. Thanks all for your reassuring posts.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

nevada wrote:Got out of customs without any issue. Thanks all for your reassuring posts.
>>>Good. Enjoy the rest of your trip and post on the new restaurants you try out. I think we need to make this a standard feature and would have a helluva lot more value than our NI/SI fights. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Kris wrote:
nevada wrote:Got out of customs without any issue. Thanks all for your reassuring posts.
>>>Good. Enjoy the rest of your trip and post on the new restaurants you try out. I think we need to make this a standard feature and would have a helluva lot more value than our NI/SI fights. Smile
Kris,

You are mean. You want to take away the only joy left in the miserable life of flimflam?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down