Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

being regular

+4
FluteHolder
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
michelle2
8 posters

Go down

being regular Empty being regular

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:44 am

Why is it so important among Indians, then most other people I have seen. Even other day sandilya posted something about it - ensure it happens every morning, regular and good. Have seen so many Indians fuss over food just so that they don't miss one the next day. What's the relation between that and overall and longtern health? Why don't we see other countries (or medicine) fuss over it that much, except the 'comfort' factor? Other than maybe Chinese who actually have sketches to determine whether you are sick or healthy based on the looks of it.

Back to top Go down

being regular Empty Re: being regular

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Why is it so important among Indians, then most other people I have seen. Even other day sandilya posted something about it - ensure it happens every morning, regular and good. Have seen so many Indians fuss over food just so that they don't miss one the next day. What's the relation between that and overall and longtern health? Why don't we see other countries (or medicine) fuss over it that much, except the 'comfort' factor? Other than maybe Chinese who actually have sketches to determine whether you are sick or healthy based on the looks of it.

probably because, in india, by and large, one must do it at one's home before one leaves for work, for clean public toilets are rare. indians who live here may be continuing an old habit.

at the calcutta division of i.c.i. (imperial chemical industries, at one time, one of the largest, integrated, petrochemical producers in the world), only the british "officers" and indian "officers" who had lived in the west got the keys to a locked, "western" restroom, probably because it was of the sitting - not squatting - type, and the squatting type could not be kept as clean and dry, and possibly because some indians might otherwise squat atop a toilet bowl and wet it and the floor when they washed themselves.

btw, your first sentence above should have been terminated with a question mark, and it's

"than most other people," not "then most other people."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:44 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Why is it so important among Indians, then most other people I have seen. Even other day sandilya posted something about it - ensure it happens every morning, regular and good. Have seen so many Indians fuss over food just so that they don't miss one the next day. What's the relation between that and overall and longtern health? Why don't we see other countries (or medicine) fuss over it that much, except the 'comfort' factor? Other than maybe Chinese who actually have sketches to determine whether you are sick or healthy based on the looks of it.

probably because, in india, by and large, one must do it at one's home before one leaves for work, for clean public toilets are rare. indians who live here may be continuing an old habit.

at the calcutta division of i.c.i. (imperial chemical industries, at one time, one of the largest, integrated, petrochemical producers in the world), only the british "officers" and indian "officers" who had lived in the west got the keys to a locked, "western" restroom, probably because it was of the sitting - not squatting - type, and the squatting type could not be kept as clean and dry, and possibly because some indians might otherwise squat atop a toilet bowl and wet it and the floor when they washed themselves.

btw, your first sentence above should have been terminated with a question mark, and it's

Old man, based on traditions, Muslims and Christians in USA from India are regulars. Most Hindus can continue to use open fields in USA in non winter months.

Keeping up with Hindu traditions, I still use open fields along most US State and National Highways while my Muslim and Christian friends wait in the car. In Hindian hinterland areas in New Jersey, I have used most areas on Route 95, Garden State Parkway, 287 and NJ Turnpike. I particularly love the areas near George Washington bridge where water is readily available for cleanup.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:53 pm

People who have colon removed carry a "Shyt bag" connected to their gut, attached to the outside of the tummy. Have you seen a bag filled with "stuff"?

Now you decide if you would like to carry it just inside the tummy. Whities have a tendency to go once 2 or even 3 days....and their colon cancer rates are much higher.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 pm

michelle2 wrote:

nah. I have seen people worrying about it 'extra' on days they have to get out early. but I have seen this worry in people who don't really have to be outdoors. basically, I have heard only Indians being most vocal about it. mostly older ones. gotta be some health connection, which may be more than not getting overweight and colon cancer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

nah. I have seen people worrying about it 'extra' on days they have to get out early. but I have seen this worry in people who don't really have to be outdoors. basically, I have heard only Indians being most vocal about it. mostly older ones. gotta be some health connection, which may be more than not getting overweight and colon cancer.

wait... I did give you the health connection...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

wait... I did give you the health connection...

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:30 pm

What you are afraid or shy to say it here is very important in 'ayurveda' as very important function of the body. Elimination of waste is very crucial to the well being of body/health. They suggest atleast once a day and 2 is real better. Esp if you eat 3 full meals, imagine the processed waste in your colon you carry...

Like chinese medicine ayurveda also analyses the output to decide on one's health/diseases.  (I got some info from discussing with ayurvedic doctors, not from only websites).

And not squatting like Indian style, can cause hemorrhoids and waste due to eating meat/with chemical/hormone laden meat which can cause colon cancer (if it is left in colon for more than required time/duration).

In Thamizh it is called 'Kalai Kadan' ('dues/duties for morning').

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm

And what did your patents tell you about being regular?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:32 pm

seven wrote:And what did your patents tell you about being regular?

parents?

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

parents?

About the health implications.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

seven wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

parents?

not much really, except same things, colon cancer, comfort, effects of constipation. but all that's what we know now, when we compare with western world. this thing's been pushed for ages in india. got curious why so much more stress in india.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Old man, based on traditions, Muslims and Christians in USA from India are regulars. Most Hindus can continue to use open fields in USA in non winter months.

Keepiattemptedh Hindu traditions, I still use open fields along most US State and National Highways while my Muslim and Christian friends wait in the car. In Hindian hinterland areas in New Jersey, I have used most areas on Route 95, Garden State Parkway, 287 and NJ Turnpike. I particularly love the areas near George Washington bridge where water is readily available for cleanup.

Your attempted sarcasm is ineffective because much of what you've written is plausible.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
seven wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

parents?

not much really, except same things, colon cancer, comfort, effects of constipation. but all that's what we know now, when we compare with western world. this thing's been pushed for ages in india. got curious why so much more stress in india.

I think you mean why less stress in western countries despite health implications. We already know it's logical to stress on it. So Indians are good that way.
Cold temperatures, lazy people, cold water/ice/snow etc made them not feel like going everyday maybe. They are still following the old habits even though now we have heaters everywhere.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:15 pm

swapna wrote:
southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Keeping up with Hindu traditions Hindu traditions, I still use open fields along most US State and National Highways while my Muslim and Christian friends wait in the car. In Hindian hinterland areas in New Jersey, I have used most areas on Route 95, Garden State Parkway, 287 and NJ Turnpike. I particularly love the areas near George Washington bridge where water is readily available for cleanup.

Your attempted sarcasm is ineffective because much of what you've written is plausible.
Old man, You think this is sarcasm? This is everyday life of a Hindu in USA.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:27 pm

The west is realizing the importance of GI health only recently. The lining on the GI tract is exposed to all kinds of insults (especially these days when the youth eat all kinds of junk food at irregular intervals). It's turnover is affected by such exposures. In addition, the bacteria in the gut is delicately maintained and any imbalance ca lead to all sorts of problems. The good bacteria (for example, from yogurt - it is a new thing for Amwricans and Chinese!) has to be kept at optimum levels while the bad ones (like C.diff) at bare minimum. Proper nutrition and certain spices (turmeric, for example) help in this regard. If crap sits in the colon for days, that is a sign of several things going wrong - lack of fibre, not enough good bacteria, imbalance in the autonomic nervous system, accumulation of toxins (if unchecked, they can damage the colon wall and even cause cancer)......

Coming to your specific question on hot chillies, they help with regularity by increasing secretions, peristaltic movement, etc. Simply emptying the colon on a regular basis can minimize most of the problems. Chillies help with this. Too much of anything is bad, obviously. Hot chillies can cause ulcers if eaten in an uncontrolled fashion. I have seen some Gults eating aavakaaya with every meal!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
The west is realizing the importance of GI health only recently. The lining on the GI tract is exposed to all kinds of insults (especially these days when the youth eat all kinds of junk food at irregular intervals). It's turnover is affected by such exposures. In addition, the bacteria in the gut is delicately maintained and any imbalance ca lead to all sorts of problems. The good bacteria (for example, from yogurt - it is a new thing for Amwricans and Chinese!) has to be kept at optimum levels while the bad ones (like C.diff) at bare minimum. Proper nutrition and certain spices (turmeric, for example) help in this regard. If crap sits in the colon for days, that is a sign of several things going wrong - lack of fibre, not enough good bacteria, imbalance in the autonomic nervous system, accumulation of toxins (if unchecked, they can damage the colon wall and even cause cancer)......

Coming to your specific question on hot chillies, they help with regularity by increasing secretions, peristaltic movement, etc. Simply emptying the colon on a regular basis can minimize most of the problems. Chillies help with this. Too much of anything is bad, obviously. Hot chillies can cause ulcers if eaten in an uncontrolled fashion. I have seen some Gults eating aavakaaya with every meal!

thanks! I had not asked about chillies, someone else did.

My mom goes for green chutney if she thinks the food does not have rase ki sabzi, meaning just having dry sabzi. Daal doesn't count apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I thought the recent discovery about ulcers is that, cause of it is not the spicy food/chillies but some bacteria.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:39 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I thought the recent discovery about ulcers is that, cause of it is not the spicy food/chillies but some bacteria.
H. Pylori. But, chillies can disturb the mucous membrane and decrease protection from infection.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

seven wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
seven wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

parents?

I think you mean why less stress in western countries despite health implications. We already know it's logical to stress on it. So Indians are good that way.
Cold temperatures, lazy people, cold water/ice/snow etc made them not feel like going everyday maybe. They are still following the old habits even though now we have heaters everywhere.

Many of the world's most productive economies and richest countries are cold. Many of the world's poorest economies and shittiest countries are in places that are hot as balls.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 pm

southindian wrote:
swapna wrote:
southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Keeping up with Hindu traditions Hindu traditions, I still use open fields along most US State and National Highways while my Muslim and Christian friends wait in the car. In Hindian hinterland areas in New Jersey, I have used most areas on Route 95, Garden State Parkway, 287 and NJ Turnpike. I particularly love the areas near George Washington bridge where water is readily available for cleanup.

Old man, You think this is sarcasm? This is everyday life of a Hindu in USA.

Still not funny. Sorry. I know you're trying very hard, but unfortunately you're not succeeding.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down