Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

+10
bw
seven
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Vakavaka Pakapaka
smArtha
indophile
Propagandhi711
confuzzled dude
Seva Lamberdar
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings Empty Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 am

AHMEDABAD: On his birthday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his mother in Gandhinagar to seek her blessings and received calls from his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe and President Pranab Mukherjee to wish him.

Modi, who turned 64, went to Gandhinagar, 23km from Ahmedabad, alone in a normal vehicle without any security to meet his mother Heeraben on his first birthday as Prime Minister, sources said.

On the occasion, she donated Rs 5,000 for the Prime Minister's Relief Fund for Jammu & Kashmir, they said.

Modi also received a call from Abe who wished him on his birthday, in a reflection of the special bonding the two prime ministers enjoy.

Modi visited Japan only a fortnight back and the warmth between the two leaders was on display during that time.

President Mukherjee called up Modi to wish him. Vice-president Hamid Ansari also wished him.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Prime-Minister-Narendra-Modi-turns-64-meets-mother-to-seek-blessings/articleshow/42685663.cms

>>> Nice photos in the above link.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings Empty Re: Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

I'm not aware of any Hindu custom that tells you to take blessings of  elders on birthday. What kind of Hinduism is he practicing? Modiji appears to be a phony Hindu

In any case , Happy birthday Modiji

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings Empty Re: Modi turns 64, meets mother to seek blessings

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am

confuzzled dude wrote:I'm not aware of any Hindu custom that tells you to take blessings of  elders on birthday. What kind of Hinduism is he practicing? Modiji appears to be a phony Hindu

is buggalu nimaratam hindi tradition or christian? it seems to be the favorite pastime of dear departed uncle, nephew and niece

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:I'm not aware of any Hindu custom that tells you to take blessings of  elders on birthday. What kind of Hinduism is he practicing? Modiji appears to be a phony Hindu

It's not a religious thing / custom among Hindus to be blessed by the elders on birthdays, but just a social tradition. It's like you wishing a "happy birthday" to your dear P.M. (Modi) on his birthday.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

is buggalu nimaratam hindi tradition or christian? it seems to be the favorite pastime of dear departed uncle, nephew and niece
We followed a slight variation of that tradition (may be regional). You take an oil bath that day, wear new clothes, take blessings from your parents and grandparents, light the lamp in the Puja room that day (not extinguish it like our kids do here), and they cook your favorite dishes to eat. If you are a little older (say 12+), add a movie that evening.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am

It is okay if you are not aware of some customs or rituals of Hinduism. If someone adhering to those customs/rituals is phony, what do we call someone who makes conclusions based on information he is not aware of?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 am

smArtha wrote:

It is okay if you are not aware of some customs or rituals of Hinduism. If someone adhering to those customs/rituals is phony, what do we call someone who makes conclusions based on information he is not aware of?

Talking of customs, should Modi not have met his wife of more than 40 years on his birthday?

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 am

Rashmun wrote:

Talking of customs, should Modi not have met his wife of more than 40 years on his birthday?

Why are you prescribing what customs/rituals Modi should follow? If your confession to being a Hindu/Brahmin is right, can we  expect you to do Gayatri japam three times a day, offer all the daily arghya/tarpanas and follow other daily rituals?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 am

smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Why are you prescribing what customs/rituals Modi should follow? If your confession to being a Hindu/Brahmin is right, can we  expect you to do Gayatri japam three times a day, offer all the daily arghya/tarpanas and follow other daily rituals?

I am sure Brahmins from different parts of India follow different customs. For instance most Brahmins are vegetarians but Bengali Brahmins eat fish and Konkani, Maithili, and Kashmiri Brahmins eat both meat and fish ( but not beef). Even in the Vedas Brahmins are depicted as eating meat, so the question is : why did most Brahmins stop eating meat?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:02 am

Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I am sure Brahmins from different parts of India follow different customs. For instance most Brahmins are vegetarians but Bengali Brahmins eat fish and Konkani, Maithili, and Kashmiri Brahmins eat both meat and fish ( but not beef). Even in the Vedas Brahmins are depicted as eating meat, so the question is : why did most Brahmins stop eating meat?
Konkani Brahmins don't eat meat. However, one sect of them - Gowda Saraswat Brahmins or GSBs as they are called - do eat seafood (fish, shrimp, etc.). I lived in the Mangalore area for 5 years while going to school, and they even had a special mess in our school that specialized in their cuisine.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 am

indophile wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Konkani Brahmins don't eat meat. However, one sect of them - Gowda Saraswat Brahmins or GSBs as they are called - do eat seafood (fish, shrimp, etc.). I lived in the Mangalore area for 5 years while going to school, and they even had a special mess in our school that specialized in their cuisine.

All konkani Brahmins ( leaving aside those Brahmins who were more recent immigrants to the konkan region) are saraswat Brahmins and saraswat Brahmins do eat sea food. It was my understanding that they also meat but perhaps I am mistaken here. The reason I thought they would also be eating meat is that Kashmiri Brahmins are also saraswat Brahmins and Kashmiri Brahmins eat both fish and also meat.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am

smArtha wrote:

Well I read your response as there is no such custom. The bar is set high for Modiji because he is no ordinary Hindu he is a special Hindu who sees everything through Hindutva glasses

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 am

Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Smartha didn't talk abt meat.  Answer what he asked you. you are trying to evade . 

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:29 am

smArtha wrote:

confuzzled?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Smartha didn't talk abt meat.  Answer what he asked you. you are trying to evade . 

There is no evasion. What I am saying is that customs and traditions of Brahmins are not uniform across India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 am

That is the real tradition. Good that he is following. From Rama to Ravana, they took the blessings of their mothers on their birthdays. Hindus believe that mothers make such sacrifices for children that the debt can never be repaid.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

That is the real tradition. Good that he is following.
Birthday is a Hindu tradition!!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:51 am

"Birthday is a Hindu tradition!!"

It very much is. Hindus take the "big" bath, do a pooja, visit a temple and take the blessings of the elders.   It seems, sikularists gave up on such a good tradition because they are in a hurry to rob people.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:52 am

Maatha, Pitha Guru, Deivam.

Note how he went alone without any security or drama, or garland Patel Statue or pay phony respects at some Smaadhi of a person.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:13 am

Inquiring minds want to know as to which calendar Modiji is following i.e Hindu or Christian. And how many SuCHers go by Hindu calendar?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 am

It IS a hindu custom to take blessings of elders on birthdays and other occasions (It isn't a hindu custom to blow away candles on a cake on birthdays though). A mother is given the highest status in hinduism. 'Matru devo bhava' isn't there in any other religion. A mother is equated to god.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 am

Kinnera wrote:

It IS a hindu custom to take blessings of elders on birthdays and other occasions (It isn't a hindu custom to blow away candles on a cake on birthdays though). A mother is given the highest status in hinduism. 'Matru devo bhava' isn't there in any other religion. A mother is equated to god.

According to Goswami Tulsidas, the man who wrote the RamaCharitManasa, women deserve a beating from time to time. His exact words were:

Dhol Gawaar Sudra pashu Naari
Yeh Sab hai taadan ke adhikaari

The fact that a man should beat a haughty woman to destroy her arrogance is also prescribed in the Upanisads.

Does this make it a Hindu tradition?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:23 am

Like all religions hinduism has a lot of good things in it interspersed with some nonsense. Let us accept the good things and reject the nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

According to Goswami Tulsidas, the man who wrote the RamaCharitManasa, women deserve a beating from time to time. His exact words were:

The fact that a man should beat a haughty woman to destroy her arrogance is also prescribed in the Upanisads.

What ppl are following is what makes a custom, not what Tulsidas said.

Show me the upanishad which said that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:28 am

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

7. If she should not grant him his desire, he should bribe her. If she still does not grant him his desire, he should hit her with a stick or with his hand, and overcome her, saying: 'With power, with glory I take away your glory!' Thus she becomes inglorious.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe15/sbe15098.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:33 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

7. If she should not grant him his desire, he should bribe her. If she still does not grant him his desire, he should hit her with a stick or with his hand, and overcome her, saying: 'With power, with glory I take away your glory!' Thus she becomes inglorious.

aha! from a westerner's translation! Let me read from reliable sources.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:38 am

World's first birth control!

10. Now, the woman whom one may desire with the thought, 'May she not conceive offspring!'--after inserting the member in her and joining mouth with mouth, he should first inhale, then exhale, and say: 'With power, with semen, I reclaim the semen from you!' Thus she comes to be without seed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

aha! from a westerner's translation! Let me read from reliable sources.

It is possible that a translation by one of these "Swamis" will try to conceal the nonsense. This book contains the original Sanskrit text together with the English translation:

http://www.amazon.com/Thirteen-Principal-Upanisads-vols-Translation/dp/8180903141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410971804&sr=8-1&keywords=Thirteen+principal+Upanisads

This is the relevant portion from this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4oFCAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=if+she+should+not+grant+him+his+desire+upanishad&source=bl&ots=-xQaFLslJ5&sig=tLK5ajdHde3SBjWxU35IsEM5lo0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z7gZVLukCtD2yQTtiYK4Cw&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=if%20she%20should%20not%20grant%20him%20his%20desire%20upanishad&f=false

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 am

Another reliable translation:

http://www.amazon.com/Principal-Upanishads-Edited-Introduction-Translation/dp/8172231245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410972124&sr=8-1&keywords=Radhakrishnan.+Upanisads

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:44 am

Can you find me the verse in this one?

https://archive.org/details/Brihadaranyaka.Upanishad.Shankara.Bhashya.by.Swami.Madhavananda

Yes, there is a lot of garbage in all the texts (not just hindu texts). A wise person takes what agrees with him/her and leaves out the ones that don't. A moron is the one who dwells on the garbage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 am

I heard a lot of good things about the ones by Ekanath Easwaran. When i buy, i'm going to buy only his.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/175-1268049-0864808?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=upanishads%20by%20ekanath%20easwaran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:49 am

Kinnera wrote:Can you find me the verse in this one?

https://archive.org/details/Brihadaranyaka.Upanishad.Shankara.Bhashya.by.Swami.Madhavananda

Yes, there is a lot of garbage in all the texts (not just hindu texts). A wise person takes what agrees with him/her and leaves out the ones that don't. A moron is the one who dwells on the garbage.

A wise person identifies the garbage in any text and then rejects it. A moron is unable to identify the garbage in the first place in her or his holy text and wallows and revels in the garbage before it is pointed out to her or him. The next step is to try the spinning technique and somehow try and spin away the garbage through intelligent albeit misguided misinterpretation of the text.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:54 am

Rashmun wrote:

A wise person identifies the garbage in any text and then rejects it. A moron is unable to identify the garbage in the first place in her or his holy text and wallows and revels in the garbage before it is pointed out to her or him. The next step is to try the spinning technique and somehow try and spin away the garbage through intelligent albeit misguided misinterpretation of the text.
lol! a moron is the one who dwells and revels on the garbage and can't bear to see others ignoring it or rejecting it or interpreting it differently coz he wants to wallow in the garbage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 am

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

lol! a moron is the one who dwells and revels on the garbage and can't bear to see others ignoring it or rejecting it or interpreting it differently coz he wants to wallow in the garbage.

Wrong. It is the wise man who identifies the garbage and rejects it and wants others to reject it as well. The moron prefers to wallow and revel in the garbage and to swallow the garbage since it is present in his or her religious book and the moron is unable to apply critical analysis to his or her religious book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Wrong. It is the wise man who identifies the garbage and rejects it and wants others to reject it as well. The moron prefers to wallow and revel in the garbage and to swallow the garbage since it is present in his or her religious book and the moron is unable to apply critical analysis to his or her religious book.
Remain delusional.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Remain delusional.

Let us know what you find in Easwaran's book. If Easwaran is a genuine scholar then he will not try to conceal the nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Remain delusional.

Let us know what you find in Easwaran's book. If Easwaran is a genuine scholar then he will not try to conceal the nonsense.
I gave you a link. find it there. you are the garbage hunter. i focus on other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Remain delusional.

I gave you a link. find it there. you are the garbage hunter. i focus on other things.

I thought you were going to buy Easwaran's book on the Upanisads. Did you change your mind already?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Found it. Page 935 of the text. ( click on 'Read Online')

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Aren't all scriptures written by humans?

There's an animal who regularly digs and lives in garbage. Can you name that animal?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Found it. Page 935 of the text. ( click on 'Read Online')
k..thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Remain delusional.

I thought you were going to buy Easwaran's book on the Upanisads. Did you change your mind already?
I will do that after I finish reading The Gita. I am on Dhyana Yoga right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Remain delusional.

I will do that after I finish reading The Gita. I am on Dhyana Yoga right now.

Good for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

There is the adjective "pashu" (implying stupid or not very bright) in front of "Naari" (woman) in the above. In other words, what Tulsidas  is talking about in the above refers to a "not-very-bright" woman and not every type of woman. Moreoever, "taadan" in the second line does not necessarily imply getting beaten, but simply being coerced into action (even through the use of mere words or command etc. by others).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

There is the adjective "pashu" (implying stupid or not very bright) in front of "Naari" (woman) in the above. In other words, what Tulsidas  is talking about in the above refers to a "not-very-bright" woman and not every type of woman. Moreoever, "taadan" in the second line does not necessarily imply getting beaten, but simply being coerced into action (even through the use of mere words or command etc. by others).

The straightforward translation of the lines is:

Drums, uncouth people, sudras, animals, and women
All of these deserve to be beaten

Taadan means beating here and not coercion because of the use of the word drum. You beat a drum, you don't coerce it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

The straightforward translation of the lines is:

Drums, uncouth people, sudras, animals, and women
All of these deserve to be beaten

Taadan means beating here and not coercion because of the use of the word drum. You beat a drum, you don't coerce it.
  It depends on the context.
The use of "taadna" for a drum (as beating) and "taadna" of a woman (being coerced verbally) need not be in the same literal sense. Does reading a book and reading a person express the same sense of the word 'read'? In other words, is reading a person similar to reading a book because in both cases the verb used is 'read'?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Yes to seeking elders blessings but not sure of celebrating birthday that probably is a contaminated custom adapted recently; what will happen to the sanctity of Hinduism if pure Hindu souls like Modiji are practicing pseudo Hindu customs such as this. Not a good sign. I really feel for my Hindu brethren

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Rashmun:

Tulsidas obviously lived in a culturally BIMARU region. Non-BIMARUs are better off to ignore his BIMARU views just as they should when you post on H-M synthesis and Hindi for SI.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
smArtha wrote:

Well I read your response as there is no such custom. The bar is set high for Modiji because he is no ordinary Hindu he is a special Hindu who sees everything through Hindutva glasses

Is that some 'confuzzled' logic there. What about my response indicates that there is no such custom? And why should Modi even acknowledge any bars you set?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:

There is no evasion. What I am saying is that customs and traditions of Brahmins are not uniform across India.

If Brahmins (on who most demands are placed by the Vaidika religion) are exercising choice regards which customs/rituals to keep and adapt them based on their whims/fancies/conveniences, why should other followers of the religion (who were already sanctioned enough leeway by the religion) not do so? Modi is free to follow dharma of a Son while ignoring that of a Husband.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next