Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hinduism and Women

2 posters

Go down

Hinduism and Women Empty Hinduism and Women

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:34 pm

7. If she should not grant him his desire, he should bribe her. If she still does not grant him his desire, he should hit her with a stick or with his hand, and overcome her, saying: 'With power, with glory I take away your glory!' Thus she becomes inglorious.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe15/sbe15098.htm

---
For a translation of the above passage by a 'Swami' see page 935 ( click on Read Online at the left) here:

https://archive.org/details/Brihadaranyaka.Upanishad.Shankara.Bhashya.by.Swami.Madhavananda

---
This book contains the original Sanskrit text together with the English translation:

http://www.amazon.com/Thirteen-Principal-Upanisads-vols-Translation/dp/8180903141/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410971804&sr=8-1&keywords=Thirteen+principal+Upanisads

This is the relevant portion from this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4oFCAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=if+she+should+not+grant+him+his+desire+upanishad&source=bl&ots=-xQaFLslJ5&sig=tLK5ajdHde3SBjWxU35IsEM5lo0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z7gZVLukCtD2yQTtiYK4Cw&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=if%20she%20should%20not%20grant%20him%20his%20desire%20upanishad&f=false

Back to top Go down

Hinduism and Women Empty Re: Hinduism and Women

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:35 pm

does this apply to your woman or any woman?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 pm

"And whilst not coming into contact with Sudras and remains of food; for this Gharma is he that shines yonder, and he is excellence, truth, and light; but woman, the Sudra, the dog, and the black bird (the crow), are untruth: he should not look at these, lest he should mingle excellence and sin, light and darkness, truth and untruth." -- Satapatha Brahmana 14:1:1:31.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 pm

While lecturing his brother Bharata on how to govern the kingdom, Lord Rama says women are not trustworthy:

"[Rama:] 'Do you keep your womenfolk pacified? Are they duly protected by you? I hope you do not repose excessive faith in them and do not confide your secrets to them.' " -- Ramayana 2:100.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 pm

"Men must make their women dependent day and night, and keep under their own control those who are attached to sensory objects. Her father guards her in childhood, her husband guards her in youth, and her sons guard her in old age. A woman is not fit for independence." -- Manusmrti 9:2-4.

"Women are powerless, have no inheritance, and speak more humbly than even a bad man." -- Krsna Yajur Veda Taittiriya Samhita 6:5:8:2.

"Lord Indra himself has said, 'The mind of woman cannot be disciplined; she has very little intelligence.' " -- Rig Veda 8:33:17.

"A thirty-year-old man should marry a twelve-year-old girl who charms his heart, and a man of twenty-four an eight-year-old girl; and if duty is threatened, (he should marry) in haste." -- Manusmrti 9:94.

"A discarded wife is one who has no son. … For a wife that is without a son, is possessed with Nirriti (destruction, calamity)." -- Satapatha Brahmana 5:3:1:13.

"A damsel whose menses begin to appear (while she is living) at her father's house, before she has been betrothed to a man, has to be considered as a degraded woman: by taking her (without the consent of her kinsmen) a man commits no wrong." -- Visnusmrti 24:41.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:31 pm

You posted elsewhere about the Bible saying women ought to be spanked under certain conditions.

The Koran I presume has such stuff too.

Aren't all popular religions crazy?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:35 pm

goodcitizn wrote:You posted elsewhere about the Bible saying women ought to be spanked under certain conditions.

All religions contain sensible things interspersed with nonsense. We should accept and absorb the sensible things and identify and reject the nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:You posted elsewhere about the Bible saying women ought to be spanked under certain conditions.

All religions contain sensible things interspersed with nonsense. We should accept and absorb the sensible things and identify and reject the nonsense.

Do you need to belong to a religion to do sensible things?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

You can be an atheist and do sensible things. I will point out though that it is possible to be an atheist while also being a Hindu ( or for that matter a Budhist or a Jain).

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

You can be an atheist and do sensible things. I will point out though that it is possible to be an atheist while also being a Hindu ( or for that matter a Budhist or a Jain).

I am not an atheist. I believe there is some super energy or power called God. But God didn't create any religion. Man did. And in its name are atrocities committed even to this day. I am against all religions. I don't need them to be sensible.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I am not an atheist. I believe there is some super energy or power called God. But God didn't create any religion. Man did. And in its name are atrocities committed even to this day. I am against all religions. I don't need them to be sensible.

You seem to be a believer/follower of Deism:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

No. I am a follower of my heart and mind.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Absolutely!
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

ALL "ism"s are created by humans.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:38 pm

*bump*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content