Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM

5 posters

Go down

Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM Empty Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:46 pm

The 56 -year-old scientist from Kodhawady, a small vil lage near Coimbatore, had never stepped out of his district until he finished his Masters. He obtained a Bachelors in Engineering degree from Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India and completed his Masters Degree in Engineering from PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore. Annadurai joined Isro in 1982 at the age of 24 and had previously been in-charge of India's satellite launches. Before this, he successfully compl

In the meantime:

The successful insertion of Mangalyaan into the orbit of Mars evoked joy among IIT-Kanpur students having interest in space science. Several students watched live streaming/airing of the insertion in the hostel campus. The nervous moments arrived when the Mangalyaan's insertion in Mars orbit was taking place but as it happened successfully, they congratulated each other. In the very first attempt, ISRO scientists had placed Mangalyaan in the Mars orbit.

Challenge question: How many IITians work at ISRO and how many are involved in MOM ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM Empty Re: Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM

Post by Maria S Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 am

Well, I am not sure how many non-elite (or "top")- as per persepective Alumni are involved..but, it's great to see how some "daughters of the soil"..some who studied in tamil medium in school and "ordinary" backgrounds are involved and doing some extraordinary work..

"Valarmathi"..a pretty tamil name..

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/tamil-nadu-woman-stars-in-satellite-launch/article3357654.ece?_ga=1.169010401.1307417331.1411595747

Some silly comments in this forum (I have read) somehow slant towards people from "certain" backgrounds and allude that they are smarter or better than others!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM Empty Re: Mayilsamy Annadurai - The Man behind MoM

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:51 am

my guess - zero. as far as nehru's vision of producing a highly trained technological workforce for the country, the IITs have been a complete bust. on that score i agree with you completely. mostly the IITs have produced worker bees for american corporations. when i graduated, besides coming to the US for graduate studies, there was a massive parallel trend of IIT graduates ditching engineering and taking up mundane software jobs in india. that ate up a lot of grads who are now lost to the engineering/science world.

the ones who have succeeded beyond run of the mill tech jobs have been on wall street and a few in american academia. overall not a good record.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:58 am

now that said, if you look at the backgrounds of NASA's leaders, most of them are not from elite institutions either. very few MIT/CalTech types.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:34 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:now that said, if you look at the backgrounds of NASA's leaders, most of them are not from elite institutions either. very few MIT/CalTech types.

NASA itself, including its leaders, hardly does any real technical work and research ... it's mostly a planning and funding agency. Most of the actual work is done by the contracting companies / outfits which hire all types of engrs. and scientists (including from MIT and Cal Tech who are not always great).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:my guess - zero. as far as nehru's vision of producing a highly trained technological workforce for the country, the IITs have been a complete bust. on that score i agree with you completely.  mostly the IITs have produced worker bees for american corporations.  when i graduated, besides coming to the US for graduate studies,  there was a massive parallel trend of IIT graduates ditching engineering and taking up mundane software jobs in india.  that ate up a lot of grads who are now lost to the engineering/science world.  

the ones who have succeeded beyond run of the mill tech jobs have been on wall street and a few in american academia. overall not a good record.  

I cant agree more....With the NIIT in every state elevated in status, the IITs should be converted exclusively into Graduate research institutes along the lines of IISc. In fact, the IITs produced scores of PhDs in 50s, 60s, and in 70s as well, who filled the engineering colleges across the country. After that, the emphasis and interests of students changed dramatically. If anything IIT and JEE are nothing but lights that attract the brightest, capable, and motivated and replace these qualities with short cut methods, greed and mundane interests.

IITs have served their purpose as far as Indian undergraduate education is concerned.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 am

Samiar
he is one of the men behind the mom.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down