Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices

Go down

JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices Empty JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices

Post by Guest Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JltFQS9kFXA&feature=sharee

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices Empty Re: JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am

i saw this today through an fb link and just noticed that you have posted a link too. harsh neotia's interpolations are a bit irritating (i wish they had chosen a better speaker) but on the whole it is a good production.

Back to top Go down

JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices Empty Re: JAYA HE New National anthem Jana Gana Mana in 39 voices

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 am

oh, you forgot to mention that all the five stanzas are sung in this (the anthem is only the first stanza).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 pm

ha ha, just watched this again in detail. following harsh neotia's translation (the pronunciation being awful) and the transliterated text flashed through the video, it is clear that the poem was written in homage to the queen of england.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ha ha, just watched this again in detail. following harsh neotia's translation (the pronunciation being awful) and the transliterated text flashed through the video, it is clear that the poem was written in homage to the queen of england.

Queens and kings and empires are long gone. It's democracy in india. Citizen is the queen/king/ruler. So the 'you' represents every citizen of India.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ha ha, just watched this again in detail. following harsh neotia's translation (the pronunciation being awful) and the transliterated text flashed through the video, it is clear that the poem was written in homage to the queen of england.
Robi Thakur wrote it for George V, the King-Emperor. Here's an old thread on the topic:

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse/jan-gan-man-919688.htm#921240

As I said there: Tagore was a smart cookie... he goes around in circles about who he is addressing it to (including a reference to a snEhamayI mAtA), and only in the last stanza does he finally make it directly about George V with the "jaya rAjEshvara." With one poem, he satisfies both the loyalists who want to praise the King-Emperor and the nationalists of the next generation who want poorna swaraj.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 pm

More from that thread which is now difficult to read:

Merlot says: I've never quite understood how people can translate "jana gana mana adhinayaka" to mean God - just their way of rationalizing I suppose.

My view: I wonder if Tagore himself played a role in coming up with that rationalization. I guess back in 1911 the rich Congress people were all loyalists to the core. It's only after Jallianwallah Bagh that they began contemplating the idea of the umbilical cord of empire being ever severed. If I remember right, Tagore died during WWII, so I wonder whether he put out word that he meant "god" to make sure his song became national anthem!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down