Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

google buys motorola mobility

+2
charvaka
Propagandhi711
6 posters

Go down

google buys motorola mobility Empty google buys motorola mobility

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 am

is this the start of the end of open android OS age? sure as hell hope not, but on the surface, this seems to be the kind of boneheaded acquisition that microsoft or cisco might make.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

google buys motorola mobility Empty Re: google buys motorola mobility

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 am

Iwas thinking the same thing. now htc has some real reasons to expand coverage of windows phone. Same for samsung andothers. On the plus side I wonder of this means no locked boot loaders any more on moto devices... That would be a good thing.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 am

There is one reason why Apple works very well. They control the OS and hardware. Maybe Google is beginning to see the light.

Last edited by Hellsangel on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 pm

charvaka wrote:Iwas thinking the same thing. now htc has some real reasons to expand coverage of windows phone. Same for samsung andothers. On the plus side I wonder of this means no locked boot loaders any more on moto devices... That would be a good thing.

I sure hope this doesnt mean HTC and samsung start loading shitty windows mobile on their 4G devices - that would be a travesty. you think they would open up motorola devices? I dont think so.

hells - I dont think apple is doing well because "they control hardware and software". qualcomm used to do that and their phones never did well. apple does well because their designers are amazing and the ppl at the top are visionaries. jmo.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

hells - I dont think apple is doing well because "they control hardware and software". qualcomm used to do that and their phones never did well. apple does well because their designers are amazing and the ppl at the top are visionaries. jmo.
I edited my post. I meant to say 1 reason. I have never seen the iPhone have problems like Android phones. (Touch screen freezing. Out of memory, and so on)
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

I edited my post. I meant to say 1 reason. I have never seen the iPhone have problems like Android phones. (Touch screen freezing. Out of memory, and so on)

I heard those are mostly f/w related and have been addressed with updates that came with the latest android

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:I sure hope this doesnt mean HTC and samsung start loading shitty windows mobile on their 4G devices - that would be a travesty.
If I were HTC or Samsung, I'd be really worried about GOOG not allowing me access to their latest and greatest. Already MOTO has typically gotten to be first out of the gate with new OS releases, and that will only get worse if GOOG owns MOTO. So I'd be inclined to diversify a bit with WP7. Sad for Android though.

Propagandhi711 wrote:you think they would open up motorola devices? I dont think so.
So far all GOOG hardware has been open, so am just hoping they'll keep it that way with Motorola hardware. It's not that much of a big deal because those who want to hack can still hack MOTO devices (I recently loaded CM7 on my Droid 2, and the experience is way better.)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Most probably Google bought Motorola is for its patents.

If Google wants to keep Android as a market leader, they have to work with other companies. else they will move to MS. Google has to sell it's ads, so I doubt if they are interested in restricting Android.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:08 pm

From the end-user point of view, I sense an ongoing battle right now involving Motorola, Google, Verizon and Samsung. Sanjay Jha promised his shareholders that he'd have the first dual-core LTE device in the US. The Bionic is not yet out, but Samsung has the Galaxy S2 waiting for release. At this point, Samsung looks closer to launch than Motorola. How that thing shakes out will be an early indication of how Google will play this once the acquisition goes through.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:14 pm

This is the end of Motorola mobility. You cannot run hardware business on ads and google does not have the know how to effectively manage a hardware business. they will now be competing against their partners. This does not look good.

Windows phone is not as bad and it got decent technical reviews as well. However it does not have the buzz and that has kept it from taking off. This may well be the event for Samsung and HTC to consider spending more on Windows phone.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:19 pm

This is from Larry Page's Google Plus page.

Quotes from Android partners

“We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem.”
– J.K. Shin
President, Samsung, Mobile Communications Division

“I welcome Google‘s commitment to defending Android and its partners.”
– Bert Nordberg
President & CEO, Sony Ericsson

“We welcome the news of today‘s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem.”
– Peter Chou
CEO, HTC Corp.

“We welcome Google‘s commitment to defending Android and its partners.”
– Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D
President & CEO, LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:This is from Larry Page's Google Plus page.

“We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem.”
– J.K. Shin

– Bert Nordberg

“We welcome the news of today‘s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem.”
– Peter Chou
CEO, HTC Corp.

– Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D
Ha... so it is about the patents as you said.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Even if it for patents, MM will be competing against Samsung/HTC/LG. Eventually they will hedge their bets. And going with a stable of Windows phones would prevent Microsoft from suing them.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:37 pm

charvaka wrote:Ha... so it is about the patents as you said.

Most likely! It should be interesting how things pan out. If Google fucks up, it will kill Android, I doubt they will.

Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm

No more dabbling in GOOG stock for me. I will stick to AAPL as my big tech bet.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:52 pm

– J.K. Shin

– Bert Nordberg

– Peter Chou
CEO, HTC Corp.

– Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D

mmm, fishy fishy..the buy must have them feel very uncomfortable, no? btw, whatever happened to the honeycomb release? yes? no? maybe?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

– J.K. Shin

– Bert Nordberg

– Peter Chou
CEO, HTC Corp.

– Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D

mmm, fishy fishy..the buy must have them feel very uncomfortable, no? btw, whatever happened to the honeycomb release? yes? no? maybe?
What are they going to say publicly? That they hate it? This is normal reaction in a situation like this. Reading between the lines, they are emphasizing the patent fights that AAPL initiated.

Honeycomb is long out... are you talking about Honeycomb for smartphones? Not going to happen -- they are talking Icecream Sandwich now.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

Ofcourse they would. I doubt Google has any intention of killing it. So they WILL work with their partners.Honey Comb is available on tablets. May be you have to wait for Ice-cream Sandwich.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:10 pm

charvaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

– J.K. Shin

– Bert Nordberg

– Peter Chou
CEO, HTC Corp.

– Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D

What are they going to say publicly? That they hate it? This is normal reaction in a situation like this. Reading between the lines, they are emphasizing the patent fights that AAPL initiated.

Honeycomb is long out... are you talking about Honeycomb for smartphones? Not going to happen -- they are talking Icecream Sandwich now.

really? icecream sandwich? anyways, look at the patent drama the past year sometime....now some of the reasoning behind the buy is actually starting to pan out.

Apple sued HTC--which makes both Windows Phone and Android phones--over patent issues. Apple expanded its suit in June, adding two additional patents. Then HTC responded with a countersuit, alleging Apple infringes five of its patents. Microsoft provides those using Windows Mobile and Windows Phone operating systems with patent protections, something that Google has yet to commit to.

Motorola was once a significant licensee of Windows Mobile, but in recent years has shifted largely to Android. SO microsoft sued motorola over patent rights.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Analysts speculate that the deal may push other Android vendors to boost their use of Microsoft Corp.'s software, as they attempt to hedge their bets on a software supplier that could now be perceived as a competitor. In any case, analysts say, Google's move will likely cause worries in the Android camp, which could buy Nokia some time as it transitions to Windows.

Nokia, based in Espoo, Finland, placed a big bet on Microsoft in February, when it decided to kill its own Symbian operating system and make smartphones using Microsoft Windows. A key question now is whether other big handset makers, including Samsung Electronics Co. and HTC Corp., will expand their plans to use the struggling Microsoft mobile operating system.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903480904576510422576302678.html#ixzz1V7eeuI6p
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down