Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas

+8
goodcitizn
Kris
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
seven
ashdoc
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
12 posters

Go down

Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas Empty Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 pm

.......Women term the view "Unacceptable"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas Empty Re: Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas

Post by ashdoc Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:53 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Muslim-outfits-in-Kerala-back-Yesudass-remarks-against-girls-wearing-jeans/articleshow/44368954.cms

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas Empty Re: Women wearing Jeans is agasint Indian Culture - KJ Yesudas

Post by seven Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 am

Whatever people do, becomes culture over time. Today we wear jeans, so that's the culture. Our culture. Bcz we are doing it.
What we did a thousand years ago or 50 yes ago was our culture at that time.
If wearing jeans is against our culture then guys shouldn't wear it either. Wearing dhoti is our culture. Why don't they ask guys to wear dhoti? Or frock suits like Akbar Birbal.
Women's fashion has changed over time too. We wear what works. Saree will not work in today's world n the role women play.
Everything else he said about girls wearing sexy clothes causing guys to sin is laughable. If guys sin, they will be punished. Or they can try n impress girls to make consensual n therefore not sin.
It's not like guys don't sin when women are in burka.

Our culture btw is to celebrate sexuality, fertility, youth and such. Not hide it n think of it as sin. So there.
It's not westerners but Muslims that are confusing us. What's supposed to be hidden should be hidden my foot. Tell alla to deliver babies with clothes on.
If s/he can't, then we get to decide what n how much we wanna cover. Nobody else.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:21 am

Seven
"Tell alla to deliver babies with clothes on."
that's brilliant. Did not hear that before.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 am

what do muslims and alla have to do with yesudas's pronouncements?

eta: just saw ass doctor's post. never mind.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 am

Poor man, he must not have had any idea that his chauvinistic-sexist statement would create a jeans firestorm and go viral!

And what a protest it is..with almost every Indian woman I know in Fb posting pics in jeans, looking proud! Funny indeed.

On a different note, I don't think jeans is an attractive attire for a man or a woman..unless one is tall, with a nice cowboy-cowgirl figure, and no offense to anyone..most Indians don't look sexy or cute in them!

If anything, the traditional Kerala women's attire exposes more and is quite sexy!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:14 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Yesudas DIL in jeans

Now, I can understand why he did not want women to wear Jeans.... He could tell that directly to his DIL.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 am

>>>Was he talking about certain specific women?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:31 am

These kinds of statements are not even worth entertaining. Besides, what cover is he talking about? Jeans covers the skin, is that not enough?

If an average indian woman lives in a place where she gets 500 pairs of eyes following her just coz she is wearing jeans, she will automatically start wearing the traditional outfit that's popular there. At the same time, there will be a few rebels who will continue wearing it. With time the stares will come down and more will join in jeans, and before you know it, people will get used to seeing jeans all over the place. Now, the new rebels will come down to capris, then shorts, then camis, and so on. Usually that's how it goes. That's how you saw women transitioning from sari to salwar suits in most regions, and the change was region by region. Metros to small cities to small towns and then villages. It's still going on. Unless you are under a taliban like rule where they will kill you for the dress code, no one can change this shift of culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:These kinds of statements are not even worth entertaining. Besides, what cover is he talking about? Jeans covers the skin, is that not enough?

If an average indian woman lives in a place where she gets 500 pairs of eyes following her just coz she is wearing jeans, she will automatically start wearing the traditional outfit that's popular there. At the same time, there will be a few rebels who will continue wearing it. With time the stares will come down and more will join in jeans, and before you know it, people will get used to seeing jeans all over the place. Now, the new rebels will come down to capris, then shorts, then camis, and so on. Usually that's how it goes. That's how you saw women transitioning from sari to salwar suits in most regions, and the change was region by region. Metros to small cities to small towns and then villages. It's still going on. Unless you are under a taliban like rule where they will kill you for the dress code, no one can change this shift of culture.

Agree...one solution is to have guidelines on a "BMI-based" dress code... ranging from short-shorts (BMI < 20) to purdah (BMI > 35).

As someone who believes in equality the same rule for men as well.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:These kinds of statements are not even worth entertaining....
>>>>Bingo! Aside from the problem of the rule-book types who want to regulate everything, this assumes women somehow cannot figure these things out for themselves.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:These kinds of statements are not even worth entertaining....
>>>>Bingo! Aside from the problem of the rule-book types who want to regulate everything, this assumes women somehow cannot figure these things out for themselves.

Stop jollufying and sucking up to SuCHinis.....and stop going to the beach....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Kris wrote:

Stop jollufying and sucking up to SuCHinis.....and stop going to the beach....Razz

>>>Beaches in Nor Cal? It may as well be Kansas.Smile That is one thing I still miss about SoCal.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Beaches in Nor Cal? It may as well be Kansas.Smile That is one thing I still miss about SoCal.

Kris, where are you located now? I thought NC coast has over 300 miles of splendid beaches.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:

Kris, where are you located now? I thought NC coast has over 300 miles of splendid beaches.

GC, You are thinking of North Carolina. I am still in Northern California. Ahhh- Bay Area, the land of exorbitant prices and horrible traffic-- becoming more and more entrenched in it. I long for SoCal every so often where I spent a good deal of time in a previous life. I even miss the smog and LA traffic (which is worse then SF) sometimes.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:

GC, You are thinking of North Carolina. I am still in Northern California. Ahhh- Bay Area, the land of exorbitant prices and horrible traffic-- becoming more and more entrenched in it. I long for SoCal every so often where I spent a good deal of time in a previous life. I even miss the smog and LA traffic (which is worse then SF) sometimes.

Okay, that explains it. Years back when I was a student in India, I imagined SF to be very beautiful, thanks to this song.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:56 pm

The Cisco Kid

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:13 pm

it still baffles me why almost all girls/women choose to wear tight fitting clothes vis-à-vis boys/men.  If it's just for accentuating body profile, I am afraid on most of them it's only been counter productive Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:58 pm

garam_kuta wrote:it still baffles me why almost all girls/women choose to wear tight fitting clothes vis-à-vis boys/men.  If it's just for accentuating body profile, I am afraid on most of them it's only been counter productive Sad

That is bcz a woman's mind and her image in the mirror never agree.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:08 pm

garam_kuta wrote:it still baffles me why almost all girls/women choose to wear tight fitting clothes vis-à-vis boys/men.  If it's just for accentuating body profile, I am afraid on most of them it's only been counter productive Sad
lol i'm watching 49ers and KC game. it is as tight as it gets =))

it is such a boring game and their uniform is so sad lol 
i dont like guys in skinny jeans or what ballet dancers and ice skaters wear.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Maria S wrote:Poor man, he must not have had any idea that his chauvinistic-sexist statement would create a jeans firestorm and go viral!

And what a protest it is..with almost every Indian woman I know in Fb posting pics in jeans, looking proud! Funny indeed.

On a different note, I don't think jeans is an attractive attire for a man or a woman..unless one is tall, with a nice cowboy-cowgirl figure, and no offense to anyone..most Indians don't look sexy or cute in them!

If anything, the traditional Kerala women's attire exposes more and is quite sexy!

I have a suspicion that KJ has a "dirty" mind. He wants women to wear only mundu and thundu.

I approve his message.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:29 am

"Women should not cause trouble to others by wearing jeans....What should be covered should be covered," Yesudas said at a function organised by a voluntary organisation in connection with the Gandhi Jayanti celebrations in Thiruvananthapuram.

>>> What is he talking about  -- who are the women causing trouble by wearing jeans and how?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:24 am

Find this statement from Satya Nadella far more sexist (and stupid): 

"Microsoft's India-born CEO Satya Nadella has become the latest public figure to air seemingly deep-rooted male prejudice against women by suggesting that female executives will be rewarded if they trust their ''karma'' and not be pushy at their workplace."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Karma-remark-on-women-dogs-Microsoft-CEO-Satya-Nadella/articleshow/44769633.cms

*Funny, how quickly terminology and labeling changes, depending on good or bad situations.."India-born"!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:32 am

Maria S wrote:Find this statement from Satya Nadella far more sexist (and stupid): 

"Microsoft's India-born CEO Satya Nadella has become the latest public figure to air seemingly deep-rooted male prejudice against women by suggesting that female executives will be rewarded if they trust their ''karma'' and not be pushy at their workplace."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Karma-remark-on-women-dogs-Microsoft-CEO-Satya-Nadella/articleshow/44769633.cms

*Funny, how quickly terminology and labeling changes, depending on good or bad situations.."India-born"!
LOL, I am in jeans and being pushy. karma is going to kick me in my ass. Just saying....

Hi M akka, hope you are well. I miss you.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:13 am

Smile

Nice to see you I-ma!

Missed you too..so came by!

Take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down