Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear ended...

+9
confuzzled dude
goodcitizn
Hellsangel
FluteHolder
indophile
seven
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

rear ended... Empty rear ended...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 am

...minor, but wasted my entire morning filing a claim. idiot young desi dude. was probably texting or something.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

rear ended... Empty Re: rear ended...

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:00 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:...minor, but wasted my entire morning filing a claim. idiot young desi dude. was probably texting or something.

glad you ok. I was once rear-ended really bad. was in so much shock but knew from people's experiences that when you do an fir to the cop, be very clear and concise about what happened and whose mistake it was, never give a big story where you can dig yourself in, in case of a challenge later. So, the cop came and I was ready with my perfect sentence, 'that guy banged me from behind'. The cop smiled a quick smile and asked if I needed an ambulance. That's when I realized what I just said. Anyway, I didn't have to file any claim report. Was all done for me, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:04 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:...minor, but wasted my entire morning filing a claim. idiot young desi dude. was probably texting or something.

glad you ok. I was once rear-ended really bad. was in so much shock but knew from people's experiences that when you do fir to the cop, be very clear whose mistake it was, never give a big story where you can dig yourself in, in case of a challenge later. So, the cop came and I was ready with my perfect sentence, 'that guy banged me from behind'. The cop smiled a quick smile and asked if I needed an ambulance. That's when I realized what I just said. Anyway, I didn't have to file any claim report. Was all done for me, I think.

i just called my insurance folks and let them do the work. i was stopped at a stop sign, waiting to turn right on to a major freeway after the traffic had abated a bit. bang! was in total shock for a few seconds. thankfully his hit pushed me on to the major freeway after the traffic had abated, and after i had already started to make my right turn. had he hit me a fraction of a second earlier, i would have been toast, hit by a mack truck.

i felt a little bad for him. he seemed like he had just stepped off the boat and had a name tag around his neck that said "computer consultant". god knows what his situation is, but he has insurance, so must be ok.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 am

>>>Glad you are okay. I am assuming the insurance claim process would include having the car checked out for any damages that are not readily visible.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:06 am

Should be happy he did not hit you hard, otherwise you would have spent the entire day, and perhaps, days more at doctors office - with a lingering neck pain for months.

Thalaikku vandhdhu fender-Oda pOchu.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:07 am

Kris wrote:

>>>Glad you are okay. I am assuming the insurance claim process would include having the car checked out for any damages that are not readily visible.

yup. visible damages not much, but didn't want to chance it with things not visible. so getting a proper estimate done.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 am

In Bay Area, cops don't even come out if no one's hurt. They will tell you to exchange info n pull to the side if the road so you're not blocking the traffic.

Looks like, max, you are fine. When my car got rear ended by some guy when I was at a red light waiting to make a U turn, I was so shocked I couldn't drive more than 40mph on a freeway with a speed limit of 65.
My whole body was shivering feverish and later my neck was sprained n back was hurting.
I hope you took his picture with the car n car's number plate's picture, his DL's picture n insurance info. The guy who was very concerned about my condition to drive n if I needed an ambulance later told the claims adjuster I backed my car into his! And I hope you didn't give your info to him. You don't need to.

Take care n sorry about your car.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:29 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

glad you ok. I was once rear-ended really bad. was in so much shock but knew from people's experiences that when you do an fir to the cop, be very clear and concise about what happened and whose mistake it was, never give a big story where you can dig yourself in, in case of a challenge later. So, the cop came and I was ready with my perfect sentence, 'that guy banged me from behind'. The cop smiled a quick smile and asked if I needed an ambulance. That's when I realized what I just said. Anyway, I didn't have to file any claim report. Was all done for me, I think.
When you are rear ended, it's usually the other guy (or gal) who is at fault. Only on rare occasions (pun unintented) are you at fault, like if they find you drunk or trying to change a lane. Whatever the case, even in minor rear ended type situations medical check up is recommended. Somethings show up much later.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:32 am

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

When you are rear ended, it's usually the other guy (or gal) who is at fault. Only on rare occasions (pun unintented) are you at fault, like if they find you drunk or trying to change a lane. Whatever the case, even in minor rear ended type situations medical check up is recommended. Somethings show up much later.

yikes! now you're scaring me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>

It is possible. Any light neck pain should not be ignored. My friend who was in a middle of few cars in a chain reaction kind of 'rear ending' had to visit doc due to neck pain. It was minor but had to be seen by a doc.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

No need to be scared. Nothing happens 99% of the time in minor rear accidents. But it's better to be cautious.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:44 am

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

I am expecting Ammachi to show up any moment now.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Indo is right. The pain - if you have any whiplash - will show up tomorrow or 2 days later.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:52 am

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

yeah... I had stubbornly refused the ambulance, and said I will drive to work. (basically once I am set to go somewhere, I hate any diversion). He said I look too shaken to drive, but I insisted. Guess too much adrenaline was talking. I went to work too, where e'one said I should go home. I refused. By afternoon, my right wrist and right ankle began swelling up, and I began shaking more, so went home. Ignored it for a couple of days, but then went to the hospital when the bruises turned full black. Was just major spraining, nothing else. Those bills went to the guys insurance too, I think. So did the repair of my car.

In my case, it was a stop and go traffic, and we were crossing a traffic light on yellow. However, there wasn't a lot of room on the road after you crossed. So I crossed and stopped close to the car infront of me. Ideally, he should not have tried to cross that light, but he did. I didn't even notice he is coming behind me. I had stopped fully and then Bang... I lost control of my foot on the brake and hit the car infront of me before I could brake again. I came out of my car and funnily, went to the front to check instead of the back, lol. I reached the front, she was out too, said sorry to her, tried to rest on the car, but buckled over and hit the road on my knees, involuntarily. Then I got up and sat back in the car. The guy behind me came to ask if I was ok. He was very generally shouting out loud and banging his own car. He was upset at the damage of his smaller car, which was much more than the damage on my suv, which itself was pretty substantial. He wasn't necessarily blaming me, except kept saying that it was an abrupt stop. Then he called the cops.

The lady infront of me waited for the cops too, and strangely there was another lady behind that guy who waited too. I dunno why coz she had not hit this guy (she joined in at the next green), and they didn't seem to be together. I later figured from her body language that she had probably waited just to make herself available as a witness. I guess the guy was driving erratically from before and she wanted to complain or something. I didn't bother to talk to her though.

My worry was, that since there was a car infront of me that I had bumped into, they would say that I hit her first, and then the car behind me hit me coz I had stopped abruptly. Luckily, the lady who I had hit grew impatient and left, there wasn't any damage to her car's back or my car's front anyway. And when the cop came, I didn't mention that hit either.

He took my statement first, and said I can leave. I saw him going to the other witness to take her statement next. Guess the guy was the last.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:02 am

Be thankful that you are okay. What are the odds of being rear ended by a desi guy, eh? Smile

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:17 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Be thankful that you are okay. What are the odds of being rear ended by a desi guy, eh? Smile

quite high actually. many desis, especially freshers to the US drive like crap.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Max was banged from the back in Boston - not in Kansas...Razz Every 3rd guy is a Desi in Boston and every other guys is a Desi in SFO.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am

glad you're OK and is minor.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Max was banged from the back in Boston - not in Kansas...Razz  Every 3rd guy is a Desi in Boston and every other guys is a Desi in SFO.
And every 7th guy in the world is a desi.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 am

goodcitizn wrote:

Max was banged from the back in Boston - not in Kansas...Razz  Every 3rd guy is a Desi in Boston and every other guys is a Desi in SFO.

Well, my friend, I'll take Boston, SF, Chicago, NY over Kansas any day, fender bender or not. Even if I could fit into Dorothy's slippers, I wouldn't click my heels!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Amazing!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:39 pm

swapna wrote:Amazing!

What is amazing ???

Haven't you ever been hit from behind ?

I mean when you are on your bicycle?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:43 pm

What is amazing ???

Haven't you ever been hit from behind ?

I mean when you are on your bicycle?
Please don't blame FlamFlam.

FlimFlam's imaginations went wild when he read "rear ended". Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:52 pm

the guy had an NJ license. now i know why some well known NJ drivers on SUCH are always getting into traffic incidents.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Not just NJ, they are also from NY. I'm not surprised when I see cars swerving on highways and then notice their plates.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the guy had an NJ license. now i know why some well known NJ drivers on SUCH are always getting into traffic incidents.  
It is all those dead people driving.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 pm

What is amazing ???
How many hours you have all stolen from your employers over max's rear end.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:38 pm

swapna wrote:

What is amazing ???
64.2, Ammachi.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
swapna wrote:

What is amazing ???
64.2, Ammachi.
no question mark; noun clause; answer to gowNDer's Q. you northindian?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

swapna wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
swapna wrote:

What is amazing ???
64.2, Ammachi.
no question mark; noun clause; answer to gowNDer's Q. you northindian?
Did you get a special BOGO deal on semicolons, Ammachi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:02 pm

swapna wrote:

What is amazing ???

Since I put in more hours than what my employer expects me to, I have the right to "steal"

Besides, I work for the pay I get. With inflation, and the salaries are not increasing, I have come up with a brilliant concept: the amount of time I have to work is decreasing.

My policy: If i dont get paid for what I am doing, then I work for what I get paid.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:52 pm

indophile wrote:
When you are rear ended, it's usually the other guy (or gal) who is at fault. Only on rare occasions (pun unintented) are you at fault..

what pun? unintented? scratch

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 pm

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

rare as in sounds like rear?

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 pm

whose fault it is when you're backing your car from a parking spot and hit sm1's car that didn't stop even though you were backing your car ?

happened with me once. this guy was honking but i heard nothing. music was on. my car's rear end hit his front bumper.

Last edited by seven on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed exttra comma)

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 pm

seven wrote:whose fault it is when you're backing your car from a parking spot and hit sm1's car that didn't stop even though you were backing your car ?

happened with me once. this guy was honking but i heard nothing. music was on. my car's rear end hit his front bumper.

one who is backing is at fault.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 pm

seven wrote:whose fault it is when you're backing your car from a parking spot and hit sm1's car that didn't stop even though you were backing your car ?

how so? i didn't have a rear end camera and couldn't see him drive up behind me. He, otoh, was able to see me take my car out. instead of honking, shouldnt he have waited for me to take my car out? idiot.

i wait when sm1 is taking their car out. are you saying i dont need to?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 pm

seven wrote:

how so? i didn't have a rear end camera and couldn't see him drive up behind me. He, otoh, was able to see me take my car out. instead of honking, shouldnt he have waited for me to take my car out? idiot.

That is the rule and that is how it is.

A car on the main road has the right of way than the one at crossroad. Same way the other car is moving on the "main" road and you are in a side road (parking spot). if u r coming out of YOUR drive way and hit a car on the street - same thing... YOU are at fault.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:23 pm

seven wrote:

rofl rear end camera came only in recent years. People have been pulling out of parking lot for decades...Wink

I think you need a driving refresher course.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm

seven wrote:
how so? i didn't have a rear end camera and couldn't see him drive up behind me.

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:30 am

seven wrote:

>>>I think Uppili may have a point here. If someone is driving, the idea is that he doesn't expect a parked car to back out suddenly into the lane he is driving in. The driver backing out is supposed to look behind as they pull out. Of course, if you can show that your movement was slow and he had ample time to stop, you will get the benefit of the doubt.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 am

Yeah I guess if it was a parking lot than it would be his fault only if he was driving too fast. That goes for a regular road too, but in a parking lot you are expected to go much slower. Point is, how to prove that. Also, just because a person see you in time to honk doesn't mean he also had the time to make the necessary stop if you kept on backing out.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Yeah I guess if it was a parking lot than it would be his fault only if he was driving too fast. That goes for a regular road too, but in a parking lot you are expected to go much slower. Point is, how to prove that. Also, just because a person see you in time to honk doesn't mean he also had the time to make the necessary stop if you kept on backing out.
It's your job to see the coast is clear before you back your car from the parking space. However, if the guy is waiting to take your space once you pull out, and you hit him, it's his fault.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Yeah I guess if it was a parking lot than it would be his fault only if he was driving too fast. That goes for a regular road too, but in a parking lot you are expected to go much slower. Point is, how to prove that. Also, just because a person see you in time to honk doesn't mean he also had the time to make the necessary stop if you kept on backing out.

my neighbor back out of her driveway and hit my car as I was leaving and I was on the road already. The cops came and her insurance tried to "interrogate me". I told the buy bluntly.... I was on the road already and she backed out. Period. nothing else matters and I might be driving on 3 wheels with no brakes. Either we can drag on and on so you can (try to) save $1000 payment for her car, and just wrap it up. His question "Are you a lawyer?" I said..if I were I would have sued my neighbor for $250,000. He laughed and closed the case.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
seven wrote:
how so? i didn't have a rear end camera and couldn't see him drive up behind me.

lol!

this is hilarious!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 am

What is so funny? :-|

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:04 am

seven wrote:What is so funny? :-|

I thought you must in this country for 10+ years. Now, I see you are likely to be an almost FOB. Driver takes responsibility and follows the rules on "right of way" irrespective of the equipment (cars) or its gadgets.

You should have gone to the court and given this reason. The Judge would have laughed and perhaps, canceled your ticket.

what next ? your car was not a convertible? his car did not have a flashing Beacon? Your husband was busy and could not direct you when you were backing out ?

Anyway...thanks for the laughs....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 am

my neighbor back out of her driveway and hit my car as I was leaving and I was on the road already. The cops came and her insurance tried to "interrogate me".  I told the buy bluntly.... I was on the road already and she backed out. Period. nothing else matters and I might be driving on 3 wheels with no brakes. Either we can drag on and on so you can (try to) save $1000 payment for her car, and just wrap it up.  His question "Are you a lawyer?" I said..if I were I would have sued my neighbor for $250,000. He laughed and closed the case.

In my case, I was half way out. When I started backing, the coast was clear. I was slow too albeit not careful enough. He wasn't going very fast either bumped into my car anyway.

Luckily we both had Allstate n they forgave us and we paid nothing. There was no damage really. The cars just kissed if you will. But I will be very careful, now that I know it's my fault when I'm backing my car.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 am

There was this one multiple car accident that I narrowly escaped once. In that one we were all in the right lane slowing down to take an exit and 3 cars infront of me crashed into one another. I stopped in time. The car behind me stopped in time too, but the car behind it banged into it, and then 1 more. I was the only one who drove out from the middle of that pile up, all else had to wait for the obligations. No one seemed really hurt.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 am

seven wrote:

my neighbor back out of her driveway and hit my car as I was leaving and I was on the road already. The cops came and her insurance tried to "interrogate me".  I told the buy bluntly.... I was on the road already and she backed out. Period. nothing else matters and I might be driving on 3 wheels with no brakes. Either we can drag on and on so you can (try to) save $1000 payment for her car, and just wrap it up.  His question "Are you a lawyer?" I said..if I were I would have sued my neighbor for $250,000. He laughed and closed the case.

In my case, I was half way out. When I started backing, the coast was clear. I was slow too albeit not careful enough. He wasn't going very fast either bumped into my car anyway.

Luckily we both had Allstate n they forgave us and we paid nothing. There was no damage really. The cars just kissed if you will. But I will be very careful, now that I know it's my fault when I'm backing my car.

Here is another tip:

Police has no jurisdiction in private parking lots - unless there is physical injury (at least true in most states - very likely in Cali as well). You could have shown him the middle finger and driven away - as long as there was no witness. He could have done nothing. Nada.

Once I was rammed by a big black lady. I could down furiously and blocked her car and asked her to get out of her and showed the damage.

She looked at my car and "Oh....my car has bigger dents and damage than yours...whats the big deal" and she drove away. It was in a parking lot and my anger went away and I laughed at her statement and style of delivery. Of course, my car was pretty old (I bought it for $1300 and put on 60K+ miles. So no biggie) and for the fun of it called the store manager and an cop was there as well. He told me about the law and jurisdiction.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:There was this one multiple car accident that I narrowly escaped once. In that one we were all in the right lane slowing down to take an exit and 3 cars infront of me crashed into one another. I stopped in time. The car behind me stopped in time too, but the car behind it banged into it, and then 1 more. I was the only one who drove out from the middle of that pile up, all else had to wait for the obligations. No one seemed really hurt.

Am I not correct in calling the east coast turnpikes as Parking lots?...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next