Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy new year

3 posters

Go down

Happy new year Empty Happy new year

Post by tapori Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:04 am

Happy new year to all gujju friends.

tapori

Back to top Go down

Happy new year Empty Re: Happy new year

Post by Impedimenta Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 am

really? today? I am going to chase my gujju food supplier woman down to see what food she has brought into work :-) I have pay for it with a dose of office gossip but hey, when I am eating her food, no other sense works :-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 am

happy new year! guess there is no gujju here.

For us, it's the govardhan pooja today, not that we do anything about it.

I am vaguely remembering some tradition that I saw growing up... was it on this day? When people would go to each other's houses to greet Diwali (this happened a lot). And did they exchange/give some kind of leaves to each other? Not all people did it; parents usually just received it, maybe that's why the vague memory. Omg, what was that, will need to ask someone at home.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 am

Happy New Year to you as well.

May the new year bring prosperity and joy.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am

Happy new year to you, Taps.

Back to top Go down

Post by tapori Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am

Impedimenta wrote:really? today? I am going to chase my gujju food supplier woman down to see what food she has brought into work :-) I have pay for it with a dose of office gossip but hey, when I am eating her food, no other sense works :-)
I bet she has mathiya, chola fail , ghooghra etc.

tapori

Back to top Go down

Post by tapori Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:37 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:happy new year! guess there is no gujju here.

I am vaguely remembering some tradition that I saw growing up... was it on this day? When people would go to each other's houses to greet Diwali (this happened a lot). And did they exchange/give some kind of leaves to each other? Not all people did it; parents usually just received it, maybe that's why the vague memory. Omg, what was that, will need to ask someone at home.
Morning of new year to me growing up was getting up early morning and going straight outside of the house for pathaka and listening to mom's fav bhajan. Some kids will go house to house and gives "Sandras" and we give them money. Doddhwalaa brings curd along with doodh that day. Then getting ready going to temple and then to house to house and guessing each house's family's  speciality.... Chola fail , chevdo, penda, mathiya , ghooghra and attack them.

tapori

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am

tapori wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:happy new year! guess there is no gujju here.

Morning of new year to me growing up was getting up early morning and going straight outside of the house for pathaka and listening to mom's fav bhajan. Some kids will go house to house and gives "Sandras" and we give them money. Doddhwalaa brings curd along with doodh that day. Then getting ready going to temple and then to house to house and guessing each house's family's  speciality.... Chola fail , chevdo, penda, mathiya , ghooghra and attack them.

what is sandras? Maybe this is what I am remembering vaguely. Yeah parents would give money too, to employees and
others who came to wish.

I chide my kids how they remember nothing about their culture. Kaha se yaad rekhenge, maa pe jo gaye hai Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by tapori Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 am

Sorry that is "sabras", kids gives those crystal type hard salt and gets money on return, kind of good luck for new year.

tapori

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down