Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman walking in NYC

4 posters

Go down

Woman walking in NYC Empty Woman walking in NYC

Post by b_A Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 pm

b_A

Back to top Go down

Woman walking in NYC Empty Re: Woman walking in NYC

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 am

i watched that video. honestly except the creepy guy walking beside her for a few minutes, how can any of this be construed as harassment? i am terrified of giving a woman a compliment because it has the potential of ending up construed as harassment just like in this video, but not unpleasantly have been at the receiving end of occasional compliments.  this has always made me wonder why is it kosher one way and not the other? i think the liberal feminist left sometimes sounds really confused. and these are people i agree with most of the time.

eta: ok i watched it again. some of it IS creepy. but hey beautiful and have a nice day -- that's harrassment?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i watched that video. honestly except the creepy guy walking beside her for a few minutes, how can any of this be construed as harassment? i am terrified of giving a woman a compliment because it has the potential of ending up construed as harassment just like in this video, but not unpleasantly have been at the receiving end of occasional compliments.  this has always made me wonder why is it kosher one way and not the other? i think the liberal feminist left sometimes sounds really confused. and these are people i agree with most of the time.  

Very simple. If Brad Pitt says it, its a compliment. If Shrek says it, its harassment. Men just need to be self-aware when dishing out compliments to women.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 am

when did cat calls become compliments?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:when did cat calls become compliments?

"have a nice day" is a catcall?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:37 am

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/30/why-im-not-buying-that-new-york-city-street-harassment-video/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is not a compliment either. what about the rest?

"hey Beautiful"
"god bless you mami"
"hey baby"
"damn"
"DAMN"
"sexy American eagle"
"you don't wanna talk?"
"what's up miss?"
"have a nice evening darling"

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:42 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

"hey Beautiful"
"god bless you mami"
"hey baby"
"damn"
"DAMN"
"sexy American eagle"
"you don't wanna talk?"
"what's up miss?"

Damn! Hey baby, you have a nice day.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:43 am

it's one thing to exchange a polite greeting when you are in the same neighborhood, or campus, or coming across each other in a subway or road and have 2-3 seconds of face time, like giving way to each other. Saying, 'how r you' or 'good morning' or just a simple nod of head. Not responding to that would be rude.

but someone walking straight on a busy sidewalk and getting so many comments, all from men... can get to nerves. Especially when it doesn't happen to all.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

"hey Beautiful"
"god bless you mami"
"hey baby"
"damn"
"DAMN"
"sexy American eagle"
"you don't wanna talk?"
"what's up miss?"

Damn! Hey baby, you have a nice day.

lol you too dashingkins!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:it's one thing to exchange a polite greeting when you are in the same neighborhood, or campus, or coming across each other in a subway or road and have 2-3 seconds of face time, like giving way to each other. Saying, 'how r you' or 'good morning' or just a simple nod of head. Not responding to that would be rude.

but someone walking straight on a busy road and getting so many comments, all from men... can get to nerves. Especially when it doesn't happen to all.

thanks for this note. this only hardens my resolve to act like iceman without leaving the slightest room for misinterpretation ever.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:48 am

My first reaction to it: Only so few compliments/comments in 10 hrs? A girl her age prolly gets that many in india in 10 mins. i was surprised to note that she feels she's being harassed. Where's the groping?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:it's one thing to exchange a polite greeting when you are in the same neighborhood, or campus, or coming across each other in a subway or road and have 2-3 seconds of face time, like giving way to each other. Saying, 'how r you' or 'good morning' or just a simple nod of head. Not responding to that would be rude.

but someone walking straight on a busy road and getting so many comments, all from men... can get to nerves. Especially when it doesn't happen to all.

thanks for this note. this only hardens my resolve to act like iceman without leaving the slightest room for misinterpretation ever.

I thought I addressed your point in my first para... that to be polite in those scenarios is all right and not a cat call. I have said hello to people on busy subways, roads, and trains, and didn't consider it offensive.

but would you be walking 3-4 feet away from a woman and 'greet' her when she is not even straight in front of you?

edit: I am saying this coz I have watched it first hand more than once. In one case, I was walking 5-6 feet behind a young good looking girl for almost a mile on 8th avenue. From her outfit, she looked like a dancer. Was mind boggling to see how men behaved around her. Was actually worse than that shown in this video. There were whistles, oooh-lalalas, and a dude on roller blades kept circling around her for 1 block.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 pm

clearly there is unwelcome behavior in that video. that became evident after i watched it more carefully. i did mention it in my postscript. however, hopefully young women (and i have the next generation in mind) will distinguish between normal male attention politely expressed, and unwelcome harassment.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:clearly there is unwelcome behavior in that video. that became evident after i watched it more carefully. i did mention it in my postscript.  however, hopefully young women (and i have the next generation in mind) will distinguish between normal male attention politely expressed, and unwelcome harassment.

women know the difference. please continue to be a gentleman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:clearly there is unwelcome behavior in that video. that became evident after i watched it more carefully. i did mention it in my postscript.  however, hopefully young women (and i have the next generation in mind) will distinguish between normal male attention politely expressed, and unwelcome harassment.

women know the difference. please continue to be a gentleman.

Exactly his point.. How the hell are we supposed to "know"?

Simple: If the woman likes what she hears it will be a compliment if not harassment - only men will never know.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down