Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a death

+3
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
swapna
7 posters

Go down

a death Empty a death

Post by swapna Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Tom Magliozzi, the older of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, co-hosts of CarTalk. Of complications arising from Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

swapna

Back to top Go down

a death Empty Re: a death

Post by southindian Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Oh! The brothers together were really funny and could make you chuckle whatever your mood. They were like extension of the other.

Will miss him.

Don't drive like my brother
And don't drive like my brother
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:26 pm

swapna wrote:Tom Magliozzi, the older of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, co-hosts of CarTalk. Of complications arising from Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Luckily, the reruns are on NPR every week. I learnt quite a bit from their show.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:50 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
swapna wrote:Tom Magliozzi, the older of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, co-hosts of CarTalk. Of complications arising from Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Luckily, the reruns are on NPR every week. I learnt quite a bit from their show.

Looks like they've been broadcasting reruns for a while; I didn't know that. his health must have deteriorated over last couple of years. Great pity.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:22 pm

swapna wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Looks like they've been broadcasting reruns for a while; I didn't know that. his health must have deteriorated over last couple of years. Great pity.

did you know tappet brothers personally and was tom aware of your existence for you to offer your pities?

PS: ppl mourn guys that were of some use to the world..like the tappet brothers with their sunny dispositions. cantankerous & prejudiced old misanthropes with only spelling corrections to offer the world? no one will care

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 pm

i love their show. i know they were only doing reruns, but did not know it was because of tom's health.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:59 pm

As youngsters, Tom and Ray, who is 12 years his junior, conducted science experiments in the back yard and enjoyed tinkering with their father’s Depression-era car. Tom received a scholarship to attend MIT and graduated in 1958 with a degree in chemical engineering and economics.

“I turned down Harvard, because MIT gave me $200 bucks more for scholarship money, and that was big bucks back in 1880,” he quipped.

He received an MBA and spent a dozen years as a marketing and engineering expert for a company that manufactured automotive-control systems before he got bored and quit; he later earned a doctorate in marketing from Boston University. He joinedRay in the early 1970s in opening Hacker’s Haven, a do-it-yourself car-repair shop in Cambridge at which patrons could borrow tools and equipme
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tom-magliozzi-half-of-the-irreverent-car-talk-duo-that-made-auto-repair-fun-dies/2014/11/03/31c0c684-6392-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html?hpid=z3

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 pm

He and his brother kept company on many of my weekend drives. Car talk is one of the reasons for my contributions to NPR. Will miss his humor.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down