Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste

+4
Kris
Propagandhi711
Ponniyin Selvan
truthbetold
8 posters

Go down

just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste Empty just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:53 am

http://www.thehindu.com/data/just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste/article6591502.ece?homepage=true

This is one of the first serious attempt I have seen to find the reality of caste in India.

There are lot of seculars who talk big but balk at taking the big step including yours truly.

How many suchers married across caste lines? 

More news for seva.  To my surpprise untouchability is still widely practised in India. Brahmins , obviously, lead the pack but the other castes follow right behind. 

However there is lot of promise in the next generation.  in my extended family,  children in usa have no concept of caste. They cross religious, language and racial lines in interactions and marriages. Their Indian counter parts have crossed caste lines more often than my generation.

What are the observations of other suchers?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste Empty Re: just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:12 am

I am going in for an inter-regional marriage. That is my contribution towards greater homogeneity amongst Indians.

Back to top Go down

just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste Empty Re: just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 am

truthbetold wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/data/just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste/article6591502.ece?homepage=true

This is one of the first serious attempt I have seen to find the reality of caste in India.

There are lot of seculars who talk big but balk at taking the big step including yours truly.

More news for seva.  To my surpprise untouchability is still widely practised in India. Brahmins , obviously, lead the pack but the other castes follow right behind. 

However there is lot of promise in the next generation.  in my extended family,  children in usa have no concept of caste. They cross religious, language and racial lines in interactions and marriages. Their Indian counter parts have crossed caste lines more often than my generation.

I think inter caste marriages are happening more and more in big cities with parental consent. Close to half of my class mates in college (me included) married outside their caste. As a matter of fact, I have started hearing talks from relatives it is better that their kids find their match themselves because it is getting really tough to find a bride/groom to everyone's satisfaction in the arranged marriages route.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 am

Rashmun wrote:I am going in for an inter-regional marriage. That is my contribution towards greater homogeneity amongst Indians.

how is inter-regional marriage going to promote homogeneity? brahmin marrying a brahmin from the next village...big earthshaking change indeed

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 am

truthbetold wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/data/just-5-per-cent-of-indian-marriages-are-intercaste/article6591502.ece?homepage=true

>>>In general, people get married to those similar to themselves. As the world as opened up, this means people with similar cultural experiences. If you grow up in suburban America, regardless of where your parents are from, that subset will cut across racial, ethnic origins. That is probably too of people who grow up in urban India via-a-vis caste. Rural India is probably where caste identity will be more or less intact.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:I am going in for an inter-regional marriage. That is my contribution towards greater homogeneity amongst Indians.

how is inter-regional marriage going to promote homogeneity? brahmin marrying a brahmin from the next village...big earthshaking change indeed

What if the groom is a Brahmin from the hindi speaking belt and his first language is hindi, but the bride is a Brahmin from outside the hindi speaking belt and her first language is not hindi?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 am

This is one of the first serious attempt I have seen to find the reality of caste in India. ----- yes, at least first time with statistics (assuming its good data)

There are lot of seculars who talk big but balk at taking the big step including yours truly. ------- it happens. 

How many suchers married across caste lines? ------- there may be some. 

More news for seva.  To my surpprise untouchability is still widely practised in India. Brahmins , obviously, lead the pack but the other castes follow right behind. ------- not just brahmins; its prevalent in all castes (e.g., malas and madigas vs. different varieties of kapus, kammas, reddys, balijas etc.). 

However there is lot of promise in the next generation.  in my extended family,  children in usa have no concept of caste. They cross religious, language and racial lines in interactions and marriages. Their Indian counter parts have crossed caste lines more often than my generation. ----- yes, we see it in our own families.

What are the observations of other suchers? ------ mine are there already.  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>In general, people get married to those similar to themselves. As the world as opened up, this means people with similar cultural experiences. If you grow up in suburban America, regardless of where your parents are from, that subset will cut across racial, ethnic origins. That is probably too of people who grow up in urban India via-a-vis caste. Rural India is probably where caste identity will be more or less intact.
I expected a strong urban rural divide on this as well, but the survey data seem to indicate otherwise. For inter caste marriage, the urban rate is 5.37% and the rural rate is 5.32%. For untouchability, which has been illegal for 65 years now, the urban rate is 30% and the rural rate is 20%.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:32 pm

why would anyone make marital choices to contribute to some social agenda? that seems stupid. generally people choose partners based on mutual physical attraction, intellectual compatibility, and compatibility of values.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Kris wrote:

I expected a strong urban rural divide on this as well, but the survey data seem to indicate otherwise. For inter caste marriage, the urban rate is 5.37% and the rural rate is 5.32%. For untouchability, which has been illegal for 65 years now, the urban rate is 30% and the rural rate is 20%.
Ide,

You flipped the number between urban and rural untouchability.  However, it is disappointing that the percentages are still so high assuming numbers are really representative of reality.  I shudder to think what would be the reality if numbers are under-representing inconvenient facts. 

Indians practice what I call undercover racism.  We do not say it openly or defend those practices as aryan racists do but just create fences around ourselves by avoiding inconvenient locations and groups of people. 

India's caste puzzle is complex because the social separation is reinforced by economic exploitation.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:35 pm

truthbetold wrote:

nobody i know practices untouchability. aside -- caste based violence particularly against dalits is an endemic problem in TN. most of the castes that engage in this violence are labeled as OBCs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 pm

indophile wrote:

This is one of the first serious attempt I have seen to find the reality of caste in India. ----- yes, at least first time with statistics (assuming its good data)

There are lot of seculars who talk big but balk at taking the big step including yours truly. ------- it happens. 

More news for seva.  To my surpprise untouchability is still widely practised in India. Brahmins , obviously, lead the pack but the other castes follow right behind. ------- not just brahmins; its prevalent in all castes (e.g., malas and madigas vs. different varieties of kapus, kammas, reddys, balijas etc.). 

However there is lot of promise in the next generation.  in my extended family,  children in usa have no concept of caste. They cross religious, language and racial lines in interactions and marriages. Their Indian counter parts have crossed caste lines more often than my generation. ----- yes, we see it in our own families.

What are the observations of other suchers? ------ mine are there already.  Smile
Indo,

I am in general agreement with your observations.  One point I would like to emphasize is that while brahmins may feel a need for social discrimination due to cultural heritage,  the real root cause of continued survival of untocuhability is more due to economic oppression perpetuated by land owning classes in rural areas.  The solution to eliminate this problem should focus on economic upliftment (through employment) of these groups rather social lectures or arranging intercaste marriages.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

nobody i know practices untouchability.  aside -- caste based violence particularly against dalits is an endemic problem in TN. most of the castes that engage in this violence are labeled as OBCs.  
Max,

The statistics show that your world is much more insular than the real India.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why would anyone make marital choices to contribute to some social agenda? that seems stupid.  generally people choose partners based on mutual physical attraction, intellectual compatibility, and compatibility of values.
Neither the news article nor my post makes any suggestion to marry to contribute to some social agenda. 

However, if people choose based on the characteristics you mentioned , it should be expected that statistics should show higher number of intercaste marriages due to randomness of selection.  On the other hand,  if people choose partners as you suggested and end up with statistics in the survey, then there is a problem with your formulation.  Your formulation in the second case is only furthering an inbuilt bias towards same caste people.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

nobody i know practices untouchability.  aside -- caste based violence particularly against dalits is an endemic problem in TN. most of the castes that engage in this violence are labeled as OBCs.  
Max,

here are two interpretations of the statement, "nobody i know practices untouchability":

(a) nobody i know practices untouchability, therefore i believe that it does not exist.
(b) nobody i know practices untouchability, but based on documented evidence i believe it exists.

it is reasonable to draw conclusion (b) based on what i wrote following the first sentence. if you want to take a dig at what i wrote, be my guest, but do so in a reasonable and sensible way.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:00 pm

truthbetold wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

I am in general agreement with your observations.  One point I would like to emphasize is that while brahmins may feel a need for social discrimination due to cultural heritage,  the real root cause of continued survival of untocuhability is more due to economic oppression perpetuated by land owning classes in rural areas.  The solution to eliminate this problem should focus on economic upliftment (through employment) of these groups rather social lectures or arranging intercaste marriages.
I agree with your observation about economic upliftment. However, I do not agree that it's only Brahmins who feel a need for social discrimination for whatever reason and so practice it. All castes practice discrimination including, believe it or not, the so called untouchables themselves among their various subcastes (e.g., mala vs. madiga). In the area where I come from, there are various castes among adibaasis (hill tribes) such as - parija, domb, gadaba, savara. majji. chondaal, and so on. They are all classified as scheduled tribes. During village festivals and feasts, a gadaba refuses to sit next to a domb, and if a parija girl is fingered by a chondaal he is either beaten black and blue or even worse.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Rash,

Racial divide, geographical divide, economic divide, professional divide, language divide, religious divide and caste divide are all against modern liberal thinking.  However only racial, religious and caste divide among this list are intertwined with god and historical feudal way of thinking. Among these, caste is even more corrosive as seperates the same race and religious groups into even smaller divisive groups. Each divide presents its own problems but caste is the most visible insidious problem in Indian context.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Max,

here are two interpretations of the statement, "nobody i know practices untouchability":

(a) nobody i know practices untouchability, therefore i believe that it does not exist.
(b) nobody i know practices untouchability, but based on documented evidence i believe it exists.

it is reasonable to draw conclusion (b) based on what i wrote following the first sentence. if you want to take a dig at what i wrote, be my guest, but do so in a reasonable and sensible way.
max,

I would not know what is going on in your inner conscious. I can only comment based on posted information.

The article said 62% of rural brahmins and 39% of urban brahmins practiced untouchability. 
You said " no body I know practices untouchability". Then you go on to quote TN incidents attributed to OBC castes.  

I think my analysis and comments above are reasonable. But if you want to say something different, I am ok with that. After all it is your inner conscious.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm

indophile wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

I agree with your observation about economic upliftment. However, I do not agree that it's only Brahmins who feel a need for social discrimination for whatever reason and so practice it. All castes practice discrimination including, believe it or not, the so called untouchables themselves among their various subcastes (e.g., mala vs. madiga). In the area where I come from, there are various castes among adibaasis (hill tribes) such as - parija, domb, gadaba, savara. majji. chondaal, and so on. They are all classified as scheduled tribes. During village festivals and feasts, a gadaba refuses to sit next to a domb, and if a parija girl is fingered by a chondaal he is either beaten black and blue or even worse.
Indo,

the conflicts between groups/jatis/tribes exist in all parts of the world and inter marriages are limited between tribes in many parts of the world.  But these tribes live away from one another as different groups till the modern life brought them together. 

The difference in Hindu religion is that these castes lived in the same village for a very long time but were living as isolated sub groups for marriage purposes. European restrictions between noble vs commoner marriages and middle eastern restrictions on marriages between different trading tribes that live in the same vicinity. But only Hindu tradition was able to institutionalize the groups as caste and created  stifling caste silos. 

My theory is that the strength of caste system in modern era lies in economic exploitation of "lower castes" and this phenomena uses cultural heritage induced social discrimination to its advantage.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Idéfix wrote:

20% untouchability in Urban areas?!! How many here had encountered it?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:09 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Indo,

the conflicts between groups/jatis/tribes exist in all parts of the world and inter marriages are limited between tribes in many parts of the world.  But these tribes live away from one another as different groups till the modern life brought them together. 

The difference in Hindu religion is that these castes lived in the same village for a very long time but were living as isolated sub groups for marriage purposes. European restrictions between noble vs commoner marriages and middle eastern restrictions on marriages between different trading tribes that live in the same vicinity. But only Hindu tradition was able to institutionalize the groups as caste and created  stifling caste silos. 

My theory is that the strength of caste system in modern era lies in economic exploitation of "lower castes" and this phenomena uses cultural heritage induced social discrimination to its advantage.
TBT:
The tribes I mentioned earlier have been living side-by-side for generations in the same village in most cases. I doubt if your theory always holds good. With the reservation system in place there are many scheduled cast/scheduled tribe/dalit folks who have climbed up the economic ladder (the so called creamy layer). They are definitely not being economically exploited, and if anything, they have been the exploiters of the system. But still, their economic well-being is not a panacea for social interaction at large.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:48 pm

indophile wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
Indo,

TBT:
The tribes I mentioned earlier have been living side-by-side for generations in the same village in most cases. I doubt if your theory always holds good. With the reservation system in place there are many scheduled cast/scheduled tribe/dalit folks who have climbed up the economic ladder (the so called creamy layer). They are definitely not being economically exploited, and if anything, they have been the exploiters of the system. But still, their economic well-being is not a panacea for social interaction at large.
Indo,

yes. creamy layer is a problem.  These kind of problems are due to votebank policy based social engineering.  

But the economic development I am talking about is a general improvement in economic status of a whole community ( like a huge public sector company coming to an area creating employment to locals).  Such self sufficient group of people are difficult to be suppressed or discriminated against.  They can join the larger society economically and socially.  I saw this happen in BHEL area in hyderabad. i do not know the intercaste marriage % but social discrimination is minimal in that area.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down