Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identity is not always destiny

+3
Idéfix
nevada
confuzzled dude
7 posters

Go down

Identity is not always destiny Empty Identity is not always destiny

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:33 pm

A simple tweet, all of 140 characters, can be hazardous to one’s health as I have discovered to my cost yet again. Last Sunday, as Narendra Modi went in for his first Cabinet expansion, I tweeted: “Big day for my Goa. Two GSBs, both talented politicians, become full cabinet ministers. Saraswat pride!” I was referring to the induction of Manohar Parrikar and Suresh Prabhu in the Union Cabinet. Rather than see my tweet as a statement of fact, I was accused of being casteist and worse. Typical of the noxious side of social media, I was barraged with abuse and hate mail.

“GSB” refers to the Gaud Saraswat Brahmins, a tiny, but highly progressive community of fish-eating Brahmins that I belong to which nestles along the Konkan coast, across Maharashtra, Goa, through to parts of Karnataka.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/comment/rajdeepsardesai/identity-is-not-always-destiny/article1-1286214.aspx

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Identity is not always destiny Empty Re: Identity is not always destiny

Post by nevada Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:46 pm

No matter what the intention, it is politically incorrect to publicly flaunt caste in India - unless you are a SC/ST. It was a poor choice of words by Rajdeep.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:27 pm

nevada wrote:No matter what the intention, it is politically incorrect to publicly flaunt caste in India - unless you are a SC/ST. It was a poor choice of words by Rajdeep.
Agreed, especially for a journalist to bring caste angle is a big no.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:55 pm

The fact is that Sardesai's message had a casteist tone to it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 am

Idéfix wrote:The fact is that Sardesai's message had a casteist tone to it.

It has a casteist tone because he is a casteist. Many people are casteist without knowing that they are casteist.. 

He assumes that if a Yadav or a Dalit gets into the ministry it is because of his caste while other Saraswat Brahmins get into the cabinet it is because of merit.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

He assumes that if a Yadav or a Dalit gets into the ministry it is because of his caste while other Saraswat Brahmins get into the cabinet it is because of merit.

That's how cabinets get defined - to appease electorally significant segments. When someone with no electoral benefit gets appointed, it's fair to assume there was some other consideration. He assumes it is merit (given the IIT backgrounds) and that doesn't make him casteist. If you has a better explanation for the induction of those two, pls share it.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 am

PS: Everything can be strung into casteism or PCism. The smart ones dont mention it - does not one an emancipated person.

People are overly insecure, incompetent, and casteiest and hide all this in the name of "sensititivity"

These days one cannot call a criminal, murderer, Wall Street Looters - even if they are convicted - using their newly earned credentials. Similarly, if someone is truly brilliant, you cannot call him that too - for it will bring out a whole set of new enemies for him/her.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

That's how cabinets get defined - to appease electorally significant segments. When someone with no electoral benefit gets appointed,  it's fair to assume there was some other consideration. He assumes it is merit (given the IIT backgrounds) and that doesn't make him casteist. If you has a better explanation for the induction of those two, pls share it.  
While I agree with you that a portion of the cabinet selection is to appease certain segments of the population, but I wonder, in this case whether dormant Brahmin supremacist view had more to do with his tweet. Till our generation, majority of the Brahmins used to look down at other caste people as uneducated country bums (which was true as majority weren't educated). Would he have expressed similar view in late '40s or '50s when Nehrus, Gopalacharis, Radhakrishnans, Praksham Pantulus and PVNs were ruling the roost? About your other point about merit, personally I do not believe that IIT or Harvard educated individuals make good politicians in India unless they came up through the ranks, otherwise they're clueless and completely devoid of ground realities, you don't need to look farther than Subramanian Swamy, Jairam Ramesh or Tharoors of the world.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

That's how cabinets get defined - to appease electorally significant segments. When someone with no electoral benefit gets appointed,  it's fair to assume there was some other consideration. He assumes it is merit (given the IIT backgrounds) and that doesn't make him casteist. If you has a better explanation for the induction of those two, pls share it.  
While I agree with you that a portion of the cabinet selection is to appease certain segments of the population, but I wonder, in this case whether dormant Brahmin supremacist view had more to do with his tweet. Till our generation, majority of the Brahmins used to look down at other caste people as uneducated country bums (which was true as majority weren't educated). Would he have expressed similar view in late '40s or '50s when Nehrus, Gopalacharis, Radhakrishnans, Praksham Pantulus and PVNs were ruling the roost? About your other point about merit, personally I do not believe that IIT or Harvard educated individuals make good politicians in India unless they came up through the ranks, otherwise they're clueless and completely devoid of ground realities, you don't need to look farther than Subramanian Swamy, Jairam Ramesh or Tharoors of the world.
CD

Your post makes sense.  Just want to expand the idea with successful brahmin politicos ABV, PVN and ramkrishna hegde in the last few decades.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

Like CD pointed out, I guess around 90% of chief ministers / central ministers and government officials are from very few numerically insignificant communities in the early 50s until 80s.. So do you claim that merit was rewarded till 80s and only later caste got into the picture?.  If so, based on the growth numbers I think we should discard merit and go for caste appeasement. :-)

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

Ok, why is Arun Jaitley in the cabinet?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

Ok,  why is Arun Jaitley in the cabinet?
Not sure If I understood your point. I've said this before about Jaitely, to make someone who lost elections a cabinet minister is a bad idea.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

Not sure If I understood your point. I've said this before about Jaitely, to make someone who lost elections a cabinet minister is a bad idea.

Sure. So why did politically astute Modi pick this electoral turkey?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Sure. So why did politically astute Modi pick this electoral turkey?

I've no idea Merlot; but some thought because he is a technocrat of some sort.

https://such.forumotion.com/t23864-is-the-most-powerful-man-in-india-after-modi-going-to-be-a-upwalah

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Cmon CD, you are a thinking man.. surely *you * must have some theory of your own too.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down