Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once Upon a Time in Egypt

+3
bw
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
7 posters

Go down

Once Upon a Time in Egypt Empty Once Upon a Time in Egypt

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Christian Bale steps into Charlton Heston's shoes.

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Once Upon a Time in Egypt Empty Re: Once Upon a Time in Egypt

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:23 pm

hope he doesnt turn into the nut heston ended up being in his declining years

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:hope he doesnt turn into the nut heston ended up being in his declining years
When he had Alzheimer's?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 pm

a friend of mine used to watch a lot of heston movies - ben hur, ten commandments, etc.

much to her annoyance, i used to promptly fall asleep within 15-30 minutes into these movies despite her making me tea to aid me stay up and watch with her.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:17 am

bw wrote:a friend of mine used to watch a lot of heston movies - ben hur, ten commandments, etc.

much to her annoyance, i used to promptly fall asleep within 15-30 minutes into these movies despite her making me tea to aid me stay up and watch with her.

>>>Oh come on, Ben Hur was a classic. I am/was not much of a Heston fan, but movies like The 10 Commandments or even Spartacus (with kirk Douglas) tend to be over the top, due to the theme. I'd cut them some slack because of that.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:21 am

heston -- isn't he the cold, dead nut? did they finally pry it out of his hands?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:heston -- isn't he the cold, dead nut? did they finally pry it out of his hands?

Now...that is not nice to disrespect someone who is no more.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:55 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:a friend of mine used to watch a lot of heston movies - ben hur, ten commandments, etc.

>>>Oh come on, Ben Hur was a classic. I am/was not much of a Heston fan, but movies like The 10 Commandments or even Spartacus (with kirk Douglas) tend to be over the top, due to the theme. I'd cut them some slack because of that.

haha, i am trying to get my kids to watch these movies and facing a lot of resistance. 'sound of music' was rejected when the song "how do you solve a problem like maria" began. my son got up, stopped the movie, declared "problem solved" and went away.

i will check out ben hur from the library today and try my luck with that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:43 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:heston -- isn't he the cold, dead nut? did they finally pry it out of his hands?
Il Professore, still sore about All Bore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:27 am

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

haha, i am trying to get my kids to watch these movies and facing a lot of resistance.  'sound of music' was rejected when the song "how do you solve a problem like maria" began. my son got up, stopped the movie, declared "problem solved" and went away.

i will check out ben hur from the library today and try my luck with that.
You can try also "Khartoum" (with Heston and Olivier).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:25 pm

finally, watched all 222 minutes of 'ben hur' for the first time in my life. for a 1959 movie, the cinematography was commendable. story, characters etc. - typical moralistic hollywood, good guy, bad guy story with all the expected biases.

"ten commandments" is next.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 pm

bw wrote:finally, watched all 222 minutes of 'ben hur' for the first time in my life. for a 1959 movie, the cinematography was commendable. story, characters etc. - typical moralistic hollywood, good guy, bad guy story with all the expected biases.

What expected biases, Lucy? The Russians were the bad guys?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:finally, watched all 222 minutes of 'ben hur' for the first time in my life. for a 1959 movie, the cinematography was commendable. story, characters etc. - typical moralistic hollywood, good guy, bad guy story with all the expected biases.

"the ten commandments" is next.

the religious overtones for one and the sympathetic portrayal of jews.

anyway, this was meant to be a commercial blockbuster and not a serious movie or an accurate portrayal of history. in that sense, i guess it delivered well.

heston's acting was quite ordinary. he is no olivier.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:23 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

anyway, this was meant to be a commercial blockbuster and not a serious movie or an accurate portrayal of history. in that sense, i guess it delivered well.

Religious overtones are a Hollywood thing? They also talk about extraterrestrial ( not the illegal kind)aliens a lot.

And Jewish sympathies? If anything, as shown by 'The Passion of the Christ' it was the opposite. After all, they crucified him.

The movie was based on a book by a civil war general.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Religious overtones are a Hollywood thing? They also talk about extraterrestrial ( not the illegal kind)aliens a lot.

And Jewish sympathies? If anything, as shown by 'The Passion of the Christ' it was the opposite. After all, they crucified him.

hollywood thing is having a very black and white portrayal of good and evil with good prevailing at the end. piety almost always being the "good" side. most hollywood classics did that - not necessarily a bad thing but not very realistic.

"the last temptation of jesus christ" should be a more interesting movie. i plan to watch that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:46 pm

>>>Come to think of it, I can't recall if I have seen Ben Hur completely. I did like what I saw. The black/white portrayal is par for the course. In a commercial movie, especially of that era, expecting the audience to work the nuances out would have come in the way of telling a grand story. May I recommend Bollywood if you want nuance? Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:51 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

hollywood thing is having a very black and white portrayal of good and evil with good prevailing at the end. piety almost always being the "good" side. most hollywood classics did that - not necessarily a bad thing but not very realistic.

"the last temptation of jesus christ" should be a more interesting movie. i plan to watch that.
>>>No pro-jewish bias there. Our man Gibson sees to that ...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/27/world/meast/egypt-exodus-ban/index.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down