Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how many despo parents here...

3 posters

Go down

how many despo parents here...  Empty how many despo parents here...

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:35 am

Who took a free SAT test when their kid (typically oldest) was gonna take it too? 

I took one online y'day and realized many parents have done that in a fit of silly parenting moment.

Back to top Go down

how many despo parents here...  Empty Re: how many despo parents here...

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:14 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Who took a free SAT test when their kid (typically oldest) was gonna take it too? 

I took one online y'day and realized many parents have done that in a fit of silly parenting moment.

I never took any of these, never helped with homework and never told any of my 8 kids and 12 grandkids to study this/that or did any "daily monitoring" I intend to follow the same approach with my future grandkids and great grandkids. Told my wifey to "back off" from any such torturing.

First I would have flunked any such test. Secondly, I am convinced for a long time that all kids even out in the long -term - after seeing many of my dudly and brilliant cousins doing equally well in life.

Dont sweat and take it easy....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:32 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Who took a free SAT test when their kid (typically oldest) was gonna take it too? 

I never took any of these, never helped with homework and never told any of my 8 kids and 12 grandkids to study this/that or did any "daily monitoring"  I intend to follow the same approach with my future grandkids and great grandkids. Told my wifey to "back off" from any such torturing.

First I would have flunked any such test. Secondly, I am convinced for a long time that all kids even out in the long -term - after seeing many of my dudly and brilliant cousins doing equally well in life.

Dont sweat and take it easy....

She asked me to work with her on some sections, partly as a buddy, and partly to work up shortcuts as I am good with those. So I thought k let me see how the real tests are. Man they have TEN sections. I was like - will this thing ever end... Obviously I didn't time myself. Took many many many breaks. And I skipped the essay section. Scored 1800. Funnily, I scored more in reading (680) then in math (640), as I skipped some questions about slopes, etc (got lazy) and made some silly mistakes. Also, they didn't have synonym/antonym sections like GRE back then. Or else my score would have been much lower hehe. 

At my age/experience, if I wanna do a college degree, I am guessing I would not need to take SAT (or GRE). But if I do, man am I prepared, lol. If I do the essay section too, I guess I can cross 2000. And if I actually study for it, it can be even more.

I am thinking, becoming a paralegal would be an interesting occupation when I am too old to be a programmer.  Maybe I can enroll myself in a college. If older plans to go to an NJ college, I will also register Wink. She will never forgive me lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:16 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

At my age/experience, if I wanna do a college degree, I am guessing I would not need to take SAT (or GRE). But if I do, man am I prepared, lol. If I do the essay section too, I guess I can cross 2000. And if I actually study for it, it can be even more.

I am thinking, becoming a paralegal would be an interesting occupation when I am too old to be a programmer.  Maybe I can enroll myself in a college. If older plans to go to an NJ college, I will also register Wink. She will never forgive me lol.

if the kid voluntarily comes to you for help in any way then it is fine. For not-so-high SATters there is always the community college route.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:16 pm

I didn't know there were free online tests. I probably won't. It goes on forever and I don't have the patience. I remember the actual GMAT. I thought it would be a short one and it went on forever.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Kris wrote:

I didn't know there were free online tests. I probably won't. It goes on forever and I don't have the patience. I remember the actual GMAT. I thought it would be a short one and it went on forever.

On their official website. you see it when you register. there are many other tutorial websites like khan academy that also carry the link to it.

There are many kids who prefer taking ACT though.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kris wrote:

On their official website. you see it when you register. there are many other tutorial websites like khan academy that also carry the link to it.

my daughter seems to prefer the ACT. she will be taking both exams, but is going to focus her efforts on the ACT.
speaking of exams, i haven't taken either one recently but sat through a calculus BC exam. wasn't too shabby.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kris wrote:

my daughter seems to prefer the ACT. she will be taking both exams, but is going to focus her efforts on the ACT.
speaking of exams, i haven't taken either one recently but sat through a calculus BC exam. wasn't too shabby.

Ya my niece took a couple of trial SATs/PSATs when she was in 9th or 10th, but by the time she was in 11th, she had made up her mind to focus only on ACT. Didn't take another SAT, and didn't submit the scores of previous ones.

I was fine with the level of questions on SAT, and some of the trick questions. I had checked out SAT material back in 1991 (a friend was going to the USA and gave all the books/tests to me even though I had no interest). Compared to that, it seems to be a bit more involved now. It's not too hard, some questions required more logical reasoning than the actual numbers/formulas/words; but not a walk in the park either if you are an average student. I think my kid will be able to handle it, and that's all I was trying to assess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kris wrote:

My younger son just took the SAT. He didn't do much prep and plans to take it maybe once more. I am not sure I can convince him on the ACT.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

they say it doesn't matter whether they submit SAT or ACT scores. not sure what i want to believe. this whole college admissions thing is so much bullshit. wish it was black and white like the JEE. it isn't. there's so much gray.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:05 pm

SAT is more aptitude oriented while ACT is more subject matter (academic) oriented. Kids who don't do well in SAT do well in ACT. If your kiddo is not doing very well in SAT, it's better to focus on ACT. There's not much scope for improvement with SAT , how much ever they prepare (collegeboard warns the students the same too)

Vids, the scoring for the essay is separate. It's not included in the 2400 score.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Kinnera wrote:SAT is more aptitude oriented while ACT is more subject matter (academic) oriented. Kids who don't do well in SAT do well in ACT. If your kiddo is not doing very well in SAT, it's better to focus on ACT. There's not much scope for improvement with SAT , how much ever they prepare.

Vids, the scoring for the essay is separate. It's not included in the 2400 score.

ya i thought so too, so didn't write anything ... but saw that in one of the sections it said in a bracket that essay was not done... I don't have the explanation infront of me right now, as I clicked on a retake and old score was gone, so can't see. Hmm, in that case, I got a 480/800 in that section, shameful! Forgetting what that section was called. Guess must be the grammar section. Explains it, lol.

edit* checked again - was writing section... got 480 in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kinnera wrote:SAT is more aptitude oriented while ACT is more subject matter (academic) oriented. Kids who don't do well in SAT do well in ACT. If your kiddo is not doing very well in SAT, it's better to focus on ACT. There's not much scope for improvement with SAT , how much ever they prepare.

ya i thought so too, so didn't write anything ... but saw that in one of the sections it said in a bracket that essay was not done... I don't have the explanation infront of me right now, as I clicked on a retake and old score was gone, so can't see. Hmm, in that case, I got a 480/800 in that section, shameful! Forgetting what that section was called. Guess must be the grammar section. Explains it, lol.
800 for math, 800 for reading (comprehension) and 800 for writing (grammar). total 2400. essay is not on a scale of 800. it's either on a scale of 0-12 or is graded alphabetically. i am getting confused between act and sat. it's been a while. i was more involved with the first son. Didn't care about the second.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:21 pm

actually, just checked. It is counted.

SAT Writing Section Subscores

The raw scores for the multiple-choice writing section are converted to scaled scores that are reported on a 20-80 scale. Every SAT contains a 25-minute essay. The essay subscore is reported on a 2-12 scale. (Essays that are not written on the essay assignment, or which are considered illegible after several attempts at reading, receive a score of 0.) Each essay is independently scored from 1 to 6 by two readers. These readers' scores are combined to produce the 2-12 scale. If the two readers' scores differ by more than one point, a third reader scores the essay. The multiple-choice writing section counts for approximately 70 percent, and the essay counts for approximately 30 percent of your total raw score, which is used to calculate your 200-800 score. For more information, visit the Scoring Guide.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:actually, just checked. It is counted.

SAT Writing Section Subscores

The raw scores for the multiple-choice writing section are converted to scaled scores that are reported on a 20-80 scale. Every SAT contains a 25-minute essay. The essay subscore is reported on a 2-12 scale. (Essays that are not written on the essay assignment, or which are considered illegible after several attempts at reading, receive a score of 0.) Each essay is independently scored from 1 to 6 by two readers. These readers' scores are combined to produce the 2-12 scale. If the two readers' scores differ by more than one point, a third reader scores the essay. The multiple-choice writing section counts for approximately 70 percent, and the essay counts for approximately 30 percent of your total raw score, which is used to calculate your 200-800 score. For more information, visit the Scoring Guide.
hmm...ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down