Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anna gets his way...

+5
Kris
truthbetold
charvaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
SomeProfile
9 posters

Go down

Anna gets his way... Empty Anna gets his way...

Post by SomeProfile Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:39 pm

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/absolutely-says-parliament-to-anna-no-vote-required-fast-ends-at-10-am-129474

New Delhi: Surrounded by a sea of flags, Anna Hazare received the news that his three conditions have been unanimously accepted by Parliament. At his protest camp at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi, thousands gathered to celebrate the 74-year-old and his role in helping India take a huge step forward towards a historic new anti-corruption law.

Anna will end his fast at 10 am. Now on Day 12, of his hunger strike he has lost 7.5 kgs; his doctors say they are seriously worried about his health.

"Parliament has spoken. The will of Parliament is will of the people," said the Prime Minister.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Anna gets his way... Empty Re: Anna gets his way...

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm

SomeProfile wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/absolutely-says-parliament-to-anna-no-vote-required-fast-ends-at-10-am-129474

New Delhi: Surrounded by a sea of flags, Anna Hazare received the news that his three conditions have been unanimously accepted by Parliament. At his protest camp at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi, thousands gathered to celebrate the 74-year-old and his role in helping India take a huge step forward towards a historic new anti-corruption law.

Anna will end his fast at 10 am. Now on Day 12, of his hunger strike he has lost 7.5 kgs; his doctors say they are seriously worried about his health.

"Parliament has spoken. The will of Parliament is will of the people," said the Prime Minister.

Hahaha....yeah rite.... Indian politicians are the most honest among politicians of the world and among all Indians....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Fucker... what does he mean by "will of the Parliament is the will of the people".

Also, I am confused after reading the article... they did not vote for it, but just accepted it unanimously? What does it mean? Don't the houses of the Parliament vote on things even if they are unanimous? Could the legality of this resolution be questioned later? Reading the article ("the govt held its ground and did not vote"), I wonder why they did not vote... What is the difference between voting and passing a unanimous resolution?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 pm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Deshmukh-conveys-parliament-s-decision-to-Hazare/Article1-738655.aspx

What the hell does 'sense of the house' mean? Something's fishy here...

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 pm

very funny developments. sense of house?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:40 pm

There is no resolution. They just agreed to pretend to agree.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:46 pm

They could have as well written that (a) We love India (b) We will be loyal to India and (c) We will rob India while pretending to run it.

The devil is in detail. Detail is what got twisted in early version of Lok pal. It will be a different bill with same old cocktail in new words. Dither, dodge and differ. That is plan.

Lalu is the only truthful man in Parliament. He said why do we need Jan lok pal Bill? Bold. Unlike Man mohan he is standing upto his right rob Indian people blind.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:48 pm

charvaka wrote:There is no resolution. They just agreed to pretend to agree.

That's what I thought. Why is he ending the fast then?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:09 pm

SomeProfile wrote:

Because he needs to declare victory and end his fast, or he will die. Basically this is a compromise where everybody lives to fight another day.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:39 pm

truthbetold wrote:They could have as well written that (a) We love India (b) We will be loyal to India and (c) We will rob India while pretending to run it.

The devil is in detail. Detail is what got twisted in early version of Lok pal. It will be a different bill with same old cocktail in new words. Dither, dodge and differ. That is plan.

Lalu is the only truthful man in Parliament. He said why do we need Jan lok pal Bill? Bold. Unlike Man mohan he is standing upto his right rob Indian people blind.

>>> The silver lining to this cloud may be the population has been awakened and hopefully, that will keep the government's feet to the fire on corrupt practices. I thought the janlokpal deal was a reach anyway, but the backing proves to you how fed up the population is with the corruption. Is corruption going away overnight? Who are we kidding, but at least this is a start.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Kris wrote:
truthbetold wrote:They could have as well written that (a) We love India (b) We will be loyal to India and (c) We will rob India while pretending to run it.

>>> The silver lining to this cloud may be the population has been awakened and hopefully, that will keep the government's feet to the fire on corrupt practices. I thought the janlokpal deal was a reach anyway, but the backing proves to you how fed up the population is with the corruption. Is corruption going away overnight? Who are we kidding, but at least this is a start.

This is a temporary truce..Govt. does not want Anna to die, Anna's handlers dont want him to deteriorate. Bcz both sides do not know the consequences (with important elections round the corner).

But, the govt. will fumble, fudge, and fail to pass any VIABLE bill. Next time around, Anna's fast may not be very effective, as the fatigue factor will have set in people's mind. The corruption-ridden BJP will take over the agitation for its own political purpose.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 pm

My reading is that a law will be passed. It may even contain some words and even concepts similar to Anna's desire. But the detail behind the law will allow enough loop holes that will major politicos escape its claws. However It will make difficult for political parties. If we look for a cure to corruption, it may not be found in this version. But as Kris pointed in his post, it is a small step in that direction.

I am sure politicos will overcome any hurdles law may place in their path and find money to fill their coffers.

Overall Kudos to Anna for bringing the average middle class docile stoic Indian male, female on to the street to express their disgust with corruption.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:03 pm

My reading is that a law will be passed. It may even contain some words and even concepts similar to Anna's desire. But the detail behind the law will allow enough loop holes that will major politicos escape its claws. However It will make difficult for political parties. If we look for a cure to corruption, it may not be found in this version. But as Kris pointed in his post, it is a small step in that direction.

I am sure politicos will overcome any hurdles law may place in their path and find money to fill their coffers.

Overall Kudos to Anna for bringing the average middle class docile stoic Indian male, female on to the street to express their disgust with corruption.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 pm

charvaka wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Because he needs to declare victory and end his fast, or he will die. Basically this is a compromise where everybody lives to fight another day.

This whole "fasting" thing is a farce - with doctors monitoring, ambulances waiting, there was never any *real* danger, was there?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:13 pm

blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

This whole "fasting" thing is a farce - with doctors monitoring, ambulances waiting, there was never any *real* danger, was there?

Doctors or no doctors, fasting is putting one's body on line. An eventual death is averted by the presence of doctors etc but that does not mean it is easy to go on an indefinite fast. It will probably take him months to recover from it.

Last edited by artood2 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:20 pm

artood2 wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Doctors or no doctors, fasting is putting one's body on line. An eventual death is averted by the presence of doctors etc but that does not mean it is easy to go on an indefinite fast. It will probably take him months to recover from it.

I have new respect for super models now.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:28 pm

If a supermodel goes on indefinite fast, she would have hollow eyes, hollow cheeks (which she already has) and glowless skin. supermodels go easy on eating but the are not fasting. And they will not be walking on the ramp.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm

artood2 wrote:If a supermodel goes on indefinite fast, she would have hollow eyes, hollow cheeks (which she already has) and glowless skin. supermodels go easy on eating but the are not fasting. And they will not be walking on the ramp.

I agree that is some discomfort in not eating but the fact that it is all a controlled experiment takes the sheen away for me. Publicity doesn't come easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:36 pm

SomeProfile wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/absolutely-says-parliament-to-anna-no-vote-required-fast-ends-at-10-am-129474

New Delhi:
Anna will end his fast at 10 am.

Hm.....Happy Ramadan and congratulations on (almost) successfully completing the Ramadan fasting.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:If a supermodel goes on indefinite fast, she would have hollow eyes, hollow cheeks (which she already has) and glowless skin. supermodels go easy on eating but the are not fasting. And they will not be walking on the ramp.

I agree that is some discomfort in not eating but the fact that it is all a controlled experiment takes the sheen away for me. Publicity doesn't come easy.

all political fasts have bene controlled. AFAIK, Gandhi's fasts were well monitored as well. In an indefinite fast, you are always assuming that the opponnent does not want you to die and beocme a martyr. If a non-descript person goes on a fast and Govt does not pay attention, his resolve may break sooner. the government has to be believing of your resolve.

Publicity doesn't come easy but it is not hard either (not in today's world). The following does not come easy. Gathering a following is a tough ask and that is Anna's achievement. He gathered a following to a cause that was orpphaned.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

New Delhi:
Anna will end his fast at 10 am.

Hm.....Happy Ramadan and congratulations on (almost) successfully completing the Ramadan fasting.

Ramzan fast go from sunrise to sunset (yes you can try moving to south pole).
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 pm

You guys make it sound as if fasting is easy. try going without food over a weekend and experience the body and report back to us if you can consider a 3 day or 5 day fast. Even if one is given saline drip, fasting beyond 3 or 4 days is difficult and harmful to health.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:48 pm

blabberwock wrote:I agree that is some discomfort in not eating but the fact that it is all a controlled experiment takes the sheen away for me. Publicity doesn't come easy.

you would rather people fast like this sadhu? his was not a media publicised fast, he died fasting, some articles were written about him and the Ganga is still the same Ganga.
if you are fasting, might as well have the world watching you. all for the sake of the cause.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:52 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
blabberwock wrote:I agree that is some discomfort in not eating but the fact that it is all a controlled experiment takes the sheen away for me. Publicity doesn't come easy.

you would rather people fast like this sadhu? his was not a media publicised fast, he died fasting, some articles were written about him and the Ganga is still the same Ganga.
if you are fasting, might as well have the world watching you. all for the sake of the cause.

I spent the last 10 mins trying to hunt down that particular story Smile Consider lmgtfy as your handle if you ever think of getting a new one.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:

I would rather people not fast and get into emotional blackmailing - would Anna have fasted if he didn't have all this publicity and backing and ready medical support? We will never know that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:05 pm

blab, are you an Anna fan or not? Did you or did not participate in the Anna movement? Give reasons for the stand you adopted.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Bittu wrote:blab, are you an Anna fan or not? Did you or did not participate in the Anna movement? Give reasons for the stand you adopted.

I am NOT an Anna fan. I did not participate in the Anna movement. I don't like emotional blackmail threats and am not sure if what he proposes will even be effective. This is like the parents saying they will kill themselves or putting on a "I am so hurt" drama if the son/daughter do not do what they want.

I will wait and watch what happens after all this drama.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Bittu wrote:blab, are you an Anna fan or not? Did you or did not participate in the Anna movement? Give reasons for the stand you adopted.

I am NOT an Anna fan. I did not participate in the Anna movement.

and that is because you have other movements you need to be a part of - the Merlot movement.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:57 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

I am NOT an Anna fan. I did not participate in the Anna movement.

and that is because you have other movements you need to be a part of - the Merlot movement.

Yes, on that note, let me go eat till I drop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 pm

blabberwock wrote:

I am NOT an Anna fan. I did not participate in the Anna movement. I don't like emotional blackmail threats and am not sure if what he proposes will even be effective. This is like the parents saying they will kill themselves or putting on a "I am so hurt" drama if the son/daughter do not do what they want.

I am an Anna fan because he's heralding change. I agree with the 'drama' bit but you know what, when things get to a head, they explode. It's like the woman who castrates her husband when he's asleep. It's not a good thing to do but she got driven to that point of despair that she thought it was the only appropriate action. Same with Anna. He's been a social activist for a long time now. One must get past the "drama" and appreciate the cause and eventual outcome IF it happens.

Ya I'm not so sure about what ends up happening but I'm very optimistic. Let's hope corruption can be curbed in India; it will have a domino effect in fixing most of the nation's problems.

Last but not the least, do you have a yahoo ID and can I have it?

xoxo, B

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Bittu wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

I am an Anna fan because he's heralding change. I agree with the 'drama' bit but you know what, when things get to a head, they explode. It's like the woman who castrates her husband when he's asleep. It's not a good thing to do but she got driven to that point of despair that she thought it was the only appropriate action. Same with Anna. He's been a social activist for a long time now. One must get past the "drama" and appreciate the cause and eventual outcome IF it happens.

Ya I'm not so sure about what ends up happening but I'm very optimistic. Let's hope corruption can be curbed in India; it will have a domino effect in fixing most of the nation's problems.

Last but not the least, do you have a yahoo ID and can I have it?

xoxo, B

If there are indeed results after all this drama, I will give it the deserved credit - until then, I will remain suspicious of it all.

Of course, I do have a Yahoo ID but why do you need it? What is that we need to discuss on YM that can't be discussed here? Give reasons for the stand you've adopted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

You're a suspicious type personality. I suspect that you have let many awesome opportunities pass you by due to your suspicion.

The yahoo ID supports text, voice, video. This forum does not. ding dong.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Bittu wrote:You're a suspicious type personality. I suspect that you have let many awesome opportunities pass you by due to your suspicion.

...and I should listen to your voice and watch your face because?

Will you be demonstrating how to roll/cook perfect parathas over YM?

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Bittu wrote:You're a suspicious type personality. I suspect that you have let many awesome opportunities pass you by due to your suspicion.

in addition to parathas, the bonus is baking bread dear - banana is optional

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:03 am

garam_kuta wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

in addition to parathas, the bonus is baking bread dear - banana is optional

eh? huh? whatcha talkin' bout, garamK?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down