Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food?

+9
FluteHolder
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Impedimenta
Propagandhi711
nevada
Vakavaka Pakapaka
truthbetold
13 posters

Go down

Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food? Empty Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food?

Post by truthbetold Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Indian veg food is full of very tasty items like dosa, idli etc. most of these tasty items are carbo loaded. How do you include protein in veg food?

Please avoid 'eat goat' kind of suggestions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food? Empty Re: Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:30 pm

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=proteins+in+indian+vegetarian+food

Back to top Go down

Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food? Empty Re: Protein - what options do you have in vegetarian food?

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Cottage cheese (with <1% fat), zero fat plain Greek yogurt, hemp seed, quinoa, chia, different beans and lentils.......

May be, build some muscles (weight lifting) so that you will burn carbs better and use the amino acids from proteins to build more.  

Make sure, you don't eat too much protein. Have your kidneys checked once in a while.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:56 pm

How about rajma and choley? Also, if you have a mexican store in your area go and check out their dried beans section. They have so many varieties. You just need to soak them overnight, give tadka, fry onion and tomato, add the beans and some water and cook in a pressure cooker for a quick, easy and protein filled meal. Some people like tofu but I am not a fan. Paneer has protein but lots of fat too.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

how can ppl eat veg exclusive and still eat balanced? it might suit ppl in their 50s and beyond to switch to purely veggie tho...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Cottage cheese (with <1% fat), zero fat plain Greek yogurt, hemp seed, quinoa, chia, different beans and lentils.......

May be, build some muscles (weight lifting) so that you will burn carbs better and use the amino acids from proteins to build more.  

Make sure, you don't eat too much protein. Have your kidneys checked once in a while.

I have Greek yogurt, quinoa and tofu regularly. BTW, I have heard this from several - "too much protein and kidneys checked". Wondering what the correlation is. Will Google.

My lunch for today - quinoa.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm

small amounts of tofu is ok, but i don't think consuming too much tofu is good for the male libido. tempeh is probably better. aside from the usual things -- dals, chana, yogurt etc., i also include one of walnuts, almonds, and peanuts in my diet everyday.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Cottage cheese (with <1% fat), zero fat plain Greek yogurt, hemp seed, quinoa, chia, different beans and lentils.......

I have Greek yogurt, quinoa and tofu regularly. BTW, I have heard this from several - "too much protein and kidneys checked". Wondering what the correlation is. Will Google.

You want to avoid kidney damage.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

8g per 20 lb body weight every day is what i've read.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:20 pm

nevada wrote:How about rajma and choley? Also, if you have a mexican store in your area go and check out their dried beans section. They have so many varieties. You just need to soak them overnight, give tadka, fry onion and tomato, add the beans and some water and cook in a pressure cooker for a quick, easy and protein filled meal. Some people like tofu but I am not a fan. Paneer has protein but lots of fat too.
Dry roasting them before soaking in water..., will minimize the farts the next day.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:25 pm

vegetarians can probably get most things meat eaters can except probably B12 which you can get from a supplement. the only thing i wish i could eat on a regular basis but don't is fish.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
nevada wrote:How about rajma and choley? Also, if you have a mexican store in your area go and check out their dried beans section. They have so many varieties. You just need to soak them overnight, give tadka, fry onion and tomato, add the beans and some water and cook in a pressure cooker for a quick, easy and protein filled meal. Some people like tofu but I am not a fan. Paneer has protein but lots of fat too.
Dry roasting them before soaking in water..., will minimize the farts the next day.
Cool, thanks for the tip!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

truthbetold wrote:Indian veg food is full of very tasty items like dosa, idli etc. most of these tasty items are carbo loaded. How do you include protein in veg food?

You need around 45 to 60 gm of protein a day - unless you are a big time weight lifter. You get that from 2 glasses of milk, yogurt, eggs, grains, regular cereal and lentils. No need to make any special protein search.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for the inputs.  

I am no salman khan but I do 20 miles on bike during summer. Just to reassure ashdoc, I did not give up goat  meat.

The issue was the attitude of younger generation in my extended family. Chicken breast - lettuce - thread mill is their outlook on balanced habits. They view Indian food as carbo loaded. I am trying to educate myself for future encounters to get them to include Indian food in their option list.

Please keep posting your suggestions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:22 pm

truthbetold wrote:Indian veg food is full of very tasty items like dosa, idli etc. most of these tasty items are carbo loaded. How do you include protein in veg food?

Heard of Indian Lentils? Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Yeah. As Uppili pointed out, the usual stuff we eat is good enough for protein without worrying too much about kidney damage. I would say, moderate weight lifting is a good thing as we grow older (muscle mass decreases with age) to maintain good size muscles. Muscles are a good source of burning carbs (and avoiding type 2 diabetes). So, if we eat SI food (high in carbs), it is a good idea to have good size (and active) muscles and controlled bellies.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Yeah. As Uppili pointed out, the usual stuff we eat is good enough for protein without worrying too much about kidney damage. I would say, moderate weight lifting is a good thing as we grow older (muscle mass decreases with age) to maintain good size muscles. Muscles are a good source of burning carbs (and avoiding type 2 diabetes). So, if we eat SI food (high in carbs), it is a good idea to have good size (and active) muscles and controlled bellies.

I have had this Protein-Kidney issue with youngsters - but no use. All our kidneys begin to deteriorate after 25 years of age. Depending on the "bad habits", it can be steep. Also, there is no need for the same level of protein requirement at 45, 55, 75 as at 25 when the body is still in the building mode. After 45, one should eat keeping in mind the health and overall vulnerability of organs - mainly kidney, heart, and liver. Lentils, nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts) millets (quinoa, Ragi), grains (Wheats and oats), Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese) all have more than the protein needed by even body builders and athletes.

Here is what the Great Carl Lewis has to say:
Frederick Carlton "Carl" Lewis (born July 1, 1961) is an American former track and field athlete and United Nations Goodwill Ambassador, who won 10 Olympic medals, including nine gold, and 10 World Championships medals, including eight gold. His career spanned from 1979 when he first achieved a world ranking to 1996 when he last won an Olympic title and subsequently retired. Lewis became an actor and has appeared in a number of films.[2][3] Lewis is a vegan and attributes his best performances in 1991 to his switching to a vegan diet.[4]

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:42 pm

I got bored with quinoa. Lasted a month.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:44 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I got bored with quinoa. Lasted a month.

Kinda hard to imagine thayirquinoa.

Quinoa pilaf, yes.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I got bored with quinoa. Lasted a month.

Kinda hard to imagine thayirquinoa.

Quinoa pilaf, yes.

did all manner of quinoa. just don't care for its texture. i love steel cut oats. should probably try to repeat all these recipes with oats and see how it comes out.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

You can try millet. Pressure cooked.  It is kind of similar to quinoa  and we have it for lunch instead of rice. Goes fine with ambti/saambar and yogurt too. Good to protect heart..

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=53

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

we've just substituted regular white rice with brown rice. almost conditioned myself to think of it as rice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm

*shudder*@quinoa replacing rice.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:22 pm

I am going do some reading based on the info presented in this thread. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 pm

i hate non-sugar sweeteners. i picked up some chobani yogurt with that awful stevia sweetener by mistake and without noticing it had some earlier this afternoon. the sickly sweet taste is still lingering after other meals, indian pickles, brushing teeth, mouthwash and various other attempts to get rid of it. horrid. any idea why?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Bite a piece of ginger.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i hate non-sugar sweeteners. i picked up some chobani yogurt with that awful stevia sweetener by mistake and without noticing it had some earlier this afternoon. the sickly sweet taste is still lingering after other meals, indian pickles, brushing teeth, mouthwash and various other attempts to get rid of it. horrid. any idea why?

stevia has a bitter taste, imo. desserts made with all these sweeteners are so YUCK. someone i know makes kalakand with splenda and made me eat some. it was bleh - as bad as rasam 'quinoa' and thayir 'quinoa'.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 pm

I hate sweetener taste too. I would rather forgo the sweet or tea/coffee than have it with those terrible tasting things.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Bite a piece of ginger.

i think that did it. thanks!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:53 am

truthbetold wrote:I am no salman khan but I do 20 miles on bike during summer. Just to reassure ashdoc, I did not give up goat  meat.

TBT, don't be so bashful of your strenuous fitness regime. We can see the flying leaps of logic you take, those quick and energetic jumps to conclusions, those magnificent 500-word essays you hammer out despite having nothing to say, those steep stretches of imagination you display and all that hectic dodging and ducking of any point of substance...you must be burning at least 4000 calories a day and sport eightpacks that would make Salman turn green. Such a regime can't sustain with veggie stuff. Please eat more goat.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:15 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:how can ppl eat veg exclusive and still eat balanced? it might suit ppl in their 50s and beyond to switch to purely veggie tho...
>>> I can't see going completely veggie. I have minimized meat and it is mostly grilled chicken, occasional steak and salmon once in awhile. Need to work on expanding my vegetable choices.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
truthbetold wrote:I am no salman khan but I do 20 miles on bike during summer. Just to reassure ashdoc, I did not give up goat  meat.

TBT, don't be so bashful of your strenuous fitness regime. We can see the flying leaps of logic you take, those quick and energetic jumps to conclusions, those magnificent 500-word essays you hammer out despite having nothing to say, those steep stretches of imagination you display and all that hectic dodging and ducking of any point of substance...you must be burning at least 4000 calories a day and sport eightpacks that would make Salman turn green. Such a regime can't sustain with veggie stuff. Please eat more goat.
MD

looks like the your are still hurting from the idiotic arrogant arguments on islamic fundamentalism.  It is well established that you are the master of diversion and irrelevant.  It is amusing to see your stupidity to call others for ducking.  Show me an argument that did not prove your shallowness.  Just reminding you that you are an empty bag and a wimp.

And bringing your vengeful jealous drama queen attitude into a food related threat shows how desperate you are.  It also amply demonstrates your lack of decency and common sense.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:54 am

truthbetold wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

MD

looks like the your are still hurting from the idiotic arrogant arguments on islamic fundamentalism.  It is well established that you are the master of diversion and irrelevant.  It is amusing to see your stupidity to call others for ducking.  Show me an argument that did not prove your shallowness.  Just reminding you that you are an empty bag and a wimp.

And bringing your vengeful jealous drama queen attitude into a food related threat shows how desperate you are.  It also amply demonstrates your lack of decency and common sense.

Haha..don't strain so much - you'll get a hernia. Also learn to be original in your abuse.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 am

Md
Being negative comes to you naturally. A guy who cannot write a post with using upps aunty, chaddi or uncle does not have the credibility to talk about originality. 
You are a wimp with no decency.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:how can ppl eat veg exclusive and still eat balanced? it might suit ppl in their 50s and beyond to switch to purely veggie tho...

you can eat veg and still eat balanced. the SI diet is a bit high on carbs; not the NI veggie diet. you are right about going veg when you hit 50s. i will soon and have switched to veg (save fish - once a month). i get my protein from toor dal (oodles of it with rice), chana (besan, fafda), milk and curd-rice. 

like max i rue that i don't eat enough fish. the reason i don't is because the fish i like (rui) is a white fish -- oily fishes like ilish, salmon and tuna are the ones good for you. ilish is seasonal and we don't get salmon here (eskimos have no heart disease -- google it). i do eat tuna sandwiches made from canned tuna (once a month compulsorily -- love tuna) but that is rubbish food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down