Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Om shree ganeshaya namah

+3
indophile
.|Sublime|.
Rekz
7 posters

Go down

Om shree ganeshaya namah Empty Om shree ganeshaya namah

Post by Rekz Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Om shree ganeshaya namah Empty Re: Om shree ganeshaya namah

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:53 am

Shri maha ganapate surapate siddhi vinayaka namostute

A beautiful composition by Mayavaram Vishwanatha Sastry

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 am

Can someone post a link to Pantula Rama's rendition of Otthukudi Venkata Subbaiyer's Shree-vighna-raajam-bhaje in Gambheeranata?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 am

indophile wrote:Can someone post a link to Pantula Rama's rendition of Otthukudi Venkata Subbaiyer's Shree-vighna-raajam-bhaje in Gambheeranata?

I posted Sri Vighna Rajam Bhaje sung by Nithyasree and Priya Sisters.
This has been rendered beautifully and differently by them. The feel is entirely different.

Let me see if I can find one by Pantula Rama.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 am

They are both good. Rama's too will make a nice addition. I heard it at a friend's house and liked it a lot.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:36 am

indophile wrote:They are both good. Rama's too will make a nice addition. I heard it at a friend's house and liked it a lot.

not able to find it.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGgG0OkUIo
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:18 am

rekz, have you listened to shankar mahadevan's "ekdantay vakratunday"? if you haven't, find it on youtube and give it a listen or two, ya?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:27 am

Another Brick wrote:rekz, have you listened to shankar mahadevan's "ekdantay vakratunday"? if you haven't, find it on youtube and give it a listen or two, ya?

Brick,I did post Shankar Mahadevan's Ganeshaye Dheemahi from youtube.Open this thread from home and checkout.If you happen to login to chat,i will tell you how to make modak so that you don't have to buy or eat basin ka ladoo on Ganesh Chaturthi:D .
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 am

Rekz wrote:
Brick,I did post Shankar Mahadevan's Ganeshaye Dheemahi from youtube.Open this thread from home and checkout.If you happen to login to chat,i will tell you how to make modak so that you don't have to buy or eat basin ka ladoo on Ganesh Chaturthi:D .

oh, i could not see from my office the video you had posted. btw, i finally had some modaks over the weekend. not steamed, but fried.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Another Brick wrote:
Rekz wrote:

oh, i could not see from my office the video you had posted. btw, i finally had some modaks over the weekend. not steamed, but fried.

Fried modaks?
scratch
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 am

yes, fried. i don't think that they are made completely of rice flour. perhaps some maida in it. but they are good. here -

Om shree ganeshaya namah Deep-fried-Modaks

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am

It's a wonferful song rekz...

Btw, I am back and have jet lag and have to start work and prep lunch boxes for kids.

Nice song to begin the day with. Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 am

Sasthi wrote:It's a wonferful song rekz...

Btw, I am back and have jet lag and have to start work and prep lunch boxes for kids.

Aren't you glad you are back ?

(We are).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 am

Nope! I am not glad to be back. I have decided to go back in 3-5 years.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:13 am

Sasthi wrote:Nope! I am not glad to be back. I have decided to go back in 3-5 years.

35 years? May be.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 am

Grrrrrrrrrr....

See, I am back from India and I have been treated like a princess for all these days and have developed temper tantrums...so you all better behave :-)

I can't take sarcasms.....

Okeies, laters.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am

Sasthi yennama yevalo nallu achuma Smile *hugs*
Welcome back...chat feature pathiya? login sometime will catch up:)
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 am

Another Brick wrote:yes, fried. i don't think that they are made completely of rice flour. perhaps some maida in it. but they are good. here -

Om shree ganeshaya namah Deep-fried-Modaks

These are for northi ganesha..
Chennai ganesha likes wonly rice flour steamed kozhukattai(modaks)
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:53 pm

madrasis DON'T know how to make modak.. I had gone to patel groceries and got 'modak' from some chennai sweets. I didn't open the pack there itself... Man, most unappetising looking modaks ever... they were huge, looked semicooked and the syrup was actually flowing out... which is weird coz, WHY was there a syrup in it in the first place? Will think twice before buying any si sweet other than those mango papdis.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

A story on modakas.

An interesting story of Satavahana king Hala is given in Somadeva’s kathaasaritsaagara. The young king’s knowledge of Sanskrit was so-so whereas his queen Malayavati was adept at it. The king while sloshing around in the pool was making his wife breathless with his aggressive play. She then pleaded, “raajan modakaistaadaya” (rajan, maa udakaih taadaya – Raja, (please) don’t hit me with water). The king understood her pleading as – rajan modakaih taadaya (Raja, hit me with modaka). He thought why just one modaka, and ordered a whole basketfull of modakas (real hard variety) to be delivered poolside, and started carefully aiming them one by one at his queen. She called him some choice words, and he felt humiliated. He started his schooling the very next day, and turned soon into a Sanskrit scholar.

Since both Telugus and Maharashtrians claim the kings of Satavahana dynasty as their own, I can't say whose modakas hurt the poor queen:-Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 pm

indophile wrote:A story on modakas.

An interesting story of Satavahana king Hala is given in Somadeva’s kathaasaritsaagara. The young king’s knowledge of Sanskrit was so-so whereas his queen Malayavati was adept at it. The king while sloshing around in the pool was making his wife breathless with his aggressive play. She then pleaded, “raajan modakaistaadaya” (rajan, maa udakaih taadaya – Raja, (please) don’t hit me with water). The king understood her pleading as – rajan modakaih taadaya (Raja, hit me with modaka). He thought why just one modaka, and ordered a whole basketfull of modakas (real hard variety) to be delivered poolside, and started carefully aiming them one by one at his queen. She called him some choice words, and he felt humiliated. He started his schooling the very next day, and turned soon into a Sanskrit scholar.

Since both Telugus and Maharashtrians claim the kings of Satavahana dynasty as their own, I can't say whose modakas hurt the poor queen:-Smile

Nice story - goes to show the importance of Sandhi & Sandhi vicheds Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:madrasis DON'T know how to make modak.. I had gone to patel groceries and got 'modak' from some chennai sweets. I didn't open the pack there itself... Man, most unappetising looking modaks ever... they were huge, looked semicooked and the syrup was actually flowing out... which is weird coz, WHY was there a syrup in it in the first place? Will think twice before buying any si sweet other than those mango papdis.

Mango papdis are South Indian sweets? I had no idea.

I didn't know modaka kozhukattais could be sold in packets - they should be served warm, right after they are steamed, AFAIK. The melted jaggery syrup may ooze out.

I haven't had one in ~15 years and could be wrong about all this. Anyway, I don't like modaks, oozing syrup or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Richard Hed wrote:
indophile wrote:A story on modakas.

Nice story - goes to show the importance of Sandhi & Sandhi vicheds Smile

shows the importance of not showing off one's language prowess and relying on common link language for communication. And the use of common sense (who wants to be hit with hard modaks!) And not to be aggressive with water play. Whoa a whole lot of lessons to learn!
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Rekz wrote:Sasthi yennama yevalo nallu achuma Smile *hugs*
Welcome back...chat feature pathiya? login sometime will catch up:)

chat featurea??? Athukellam time illa....akkamma/thangi.

Good to see you around...hugs.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:22 am

blabberwock wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:madrasis DON'T know how to make modak.. I had gone to patel groceries and got 'modak' from some chennai sweets. I didn't open the pack there itself... Man, most unappetising looking modaks ever... they were huge, looked semicooked and the syrup was actually flowing out... which is weird coz, WHY was there a syrup in it in the first place? Will think twice before buying any si sweet other than those mango papdis.

Mango papdis are South Indian sweets? I had no idea.

I didn't know modaka kozhukattais could be sold in packets - they should be served warm, right after they are steamed, AFAIK. The melted jaggery syrup may ooze out.

I haven't had one in ~15 years and could be wrong about all this. Anyway, I don't like modaks, oozing syrup or not.

those mango thins.. I have usually had the SI varieties. They sold them as modaks. I don't ever remember modaks having so much syrup that it drips out. The usual is to just have to hold the filling together.

I have very fond memories of modaks... my nanny used to fast every [something] and her entire food that day would be modaks only. Here is the twist.. she would make 21 or some, and put salt in just one. Then she would eat them until she hit the salty one. And that's it. No more food for the day. I would get the rest, if I didn't have periods that day. Some days, unfortunately for her, we would get all 20 of them... I used to kinda hope I got minimum 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

those mango thins.. I have usually had the SI varieties. They sold them as modaks. I don't ever remember modaks having so much syrup that it drips out. The usual is to just have to hold the filling together.

Dry ones? I haven't had any of these mango thins in Madras - the only ones I've had are from Thailand/Philippines. Maybe the modaks are made differently across India. The only time they ooze syrup is when they are warm. I will check with the expert at home - my mom.

Tracy Whitney wrote:
I have very fond memories of modaks... my nanny used to fast every [something] and her entire food that day would be modaks only. Here is the twist.. she would make 21 or some, and put salt in just one. Then she would eat them until she hit the salty one. And that's it. No more food for the day. I would get the rest, if I didn't have periods that day. Some days, unfortunately for her, we would get all 20 of them... I used to kinda hope I got minimum 5.

Your nanny? How old were you then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down