Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small.

5 posters

Go down

30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small. Empty 30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small.

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 pm

My point is not to trivialize what happened last week in Paris, but to emphasize that overstating the risk of terrorism can be just as bad as ignoring it. In the present context, overstating the risk fuels Islamophobia, and growing anti-Muslim sentiment will inevitably encourage a few more Muslims to embrace the jihadi cause. It leads governments around the world to devote excessive resources to counterterrorist activities. Exaggerated fears of terrorism led many Americans to support Bush’s misbegotten invasion of Iraq, and similar fears led President Barack Obama to escalate and prolong U.S. involvement in Afghanistan to little purpose. Shamefully, it led the United States (and some of its allies) to engage in acts of torture and illegal surveillance, thereby threatening America’s core political values. A few months from now, inflated fears of terrorism could propel even France’s National Front into office, a step that would reinforce nationalist tendencies within Europe and put the future of the European Union in doubt.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/16/think-before-you-march-charlie-hebdo-islamist-terrorism/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small. Empty Re: 30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:40 am

wrong comparison....

The chances of being killed by an iSlami is much higher than being killed by an iSlami driver in a car accident.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small. Empty Re: 30 Americans are shot dead every day. By comparison, the risk that an American or European will be killed or harmed by terrorists remains (fortunately) vanishingly small.

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:05 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
My point is not to trivialize what happened last week in Paris, but to emphasize that overstating the risk of terrorism can be just as bad as ignoring it. In the present context, overstating the risk fuels Islamophobia, and growing anti-Muslim sentiment will inevitably encourage a few more Muslims to embrace the jihadi cause. It leads governments around the world to devote excessive resources to counterterrorist activities. Exaggerated fears of terrorism led many Americans to support Bush’s misbegotten invasion of Iraq, and similar fears led President Barack Obama to escalate and prolong U.S. involvement in Afghanistan to little purpose. Shamefully, it led the United States (and some of its allies) to engage in acts of torture and illegal surveillance, thereby threatening America’s core political values. A few months from now, inflated fears of terrorism could propel even France’s National Front into office, a step that would reinforce nationalist tendencies within Europe and put the future of the European Union in doubt.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/16/think-before-you-march-charlie-hebdo-islamist-terrorism/

This is stupid like Rush limbaugh's comparison " More people are killed in car accidents than guns. So gun control is stupid".

It is stupid to say govts spend more money on counter terrorism. If UK does not spend enough money on security, how many more incidents would have happened on london trains?  What would happen to london economy if trains are shut down every other day? 

Look at Somalia, Nigeria, Sudan, Yemen, and Pakistan to see what happens when security apparatus weakens leading to failure of state apparatus.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:57 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

This is stupid like Rush limbaugh's comparison " More people are killed in car accidents than guns. So gun control is stupid".

It is stupid to say govts spend more money on counter terrorism. If UK does not spend enough money on security, how many more incidents would have happened on london trains?  What would happen to london economy if trains are shut down every other day? 

Look at Somalia, Nigeria, Sudan, Yemen, and Pakistan to see what happens when security apparatus weakens leading to failure of state apparatus.
Why is it a stupid comparison? Gun culture in the US and wahhabism in ME, more or less one and the same. Guns are scared cows of the US, one can't dare to criticize.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why is it a stupid comparison? Gun culture in the US and wahhabism in ME, more or less one and the same. Guns are scared cows of the US, one can't dare to criticize.

Yeah, sure. That is why the Dems, the  media, the Libbies, you Comrade, Il Professore etc etc are so silent about it.

PS: Another nice attempt at a red herring fallacy, Comrade

Last edited by Hellsangel on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Yeah, sure. That is why the Dems, the  media, the Libbies, you Comrade, Il Professore etc etc are so silent about it.

Mian Daud is getting better at shooting himself....although not expert enough to vote against himself - but getting there.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Not in the literal sense but in terms of the ability to make any change, can't make any progress, isn't that true?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Not in the literal sense but in terms of the ability to make any change, can't make any progress, isn't that true?

Please continue your attempts at deflection, Comrade. Several states have much stricter gun legislation now.

I think you just helped me coin a new term. Maybe it has already been coined - soft-jihadist.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Please continue your attempts at deflection, Comrade. Several states have much stricter gun legislation now.

I think you just helped me coin a new term. Maybe it has already been coined - soft-jihadist.
What's new? this is what chaddies and right-wing loonies are good at, calling others names while pissing in their pants, just like a 9-year old would do when gotten into a fight with his school buddies.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:58 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

What's new? this is what chaddies and right-wing loonies are good at, calling others names while pissing in their pants, just like a 9-year old would do when gotten into a fight with his school buddies.

Hmm. A little irony deficiency there, Comrade?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Soft Jehadi, silent Jehadi, PSeudo Jehadi, Trojan Jehadi are all apt.

However, I think the mostest appropriate and suspicion is that Mian is the SuCH leader of the "Honor Brigade" After reading about this Brigade, posts by he and his ilk clearly match the agenda of The Brigade.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

I didn't start it. Isn't this what you wing-nuts normally resort to, when your backs are up against the wall?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Soft Jehadi, silent Jehadi, PSeudo Jehadi, Trojan Jehadi are all apt.

However, I think the mostest appropriate and suspicion is that Mian is the SuCH leader of the "Honor Brigade" After reading about this Brigade, posts by he and his ilk clearly match the agenda of The Brigade.

He is hoping to shame everyone here into not ignoring his red herrings.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I didn't start it. Isn't this what you wing-nuts normally resort to, when your backs are up against the wall?

Wow! You are delusional aren't you, Comrade? Backs against the walls. What next? All the chaddies crying uncle while you tower over them?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Wow! You are delusional aren't you, Comrade? Backs against the walls. What next? All the chaddies crying uncle while you tower over them?
No but those dimwits only cry Comrade, mullareddy, Mian Daud, Confused Douche, demented, delusional, Rashmunullah, Douche bag, Maulana, Gaywalah.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

No but those dimwits only cry Comrade, mullareddy, Mian Daud, Confused Douche, demented, delusional, Rashmunullah, Douche bag, Maulana, Gaywalah.

Aww! Your feelings are hurt, aren't they, Comrade?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Nope. I was merely showing as to who is suffering from irony deficiency

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:44 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Sigh! Let me explain this one more time, Comrade. Step by step this time.

Crying about name calling = Comrade

Calling people names while crying about name-calling = Comrade

Not realizing the irony in that = Comrade

Deficiency in irony = Comrade
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Sigh! Let me explain this one more time, Comrade.  Step by step this time.

Twisteran, whose feelings were hurt when was called a right-wing loony?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:49 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Please, Comrade. Don't embarrass yourself now in having the irony in your latest statement pointed out.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Please, Comrade. Don't embarrass yourself now in having the irony in your latest statement pointed out.
Sure! Mr. Genius, what else can a mere mortal like me do than embarrassing himself when beaten to pulp by Einsteins of SuCH.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:01 pm

That is OK, Comrade.  Tout est pardonné.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Hellsangel wrote:That is OK, Comrade.  Tout est pardonné.
Thankful for small mercies, now I can continue to embarrass myself.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:19 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Yes, Comrade. The First Amendment guarantees you that right.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Cd
I gave the answer. You dodge the actual issue and repeat the same stupid comparison.

Not fighting radical Islam = Somalia, Nigeria and Pakistan. That is your prescription. Fortunately sane world thinks different. Hence people continue to safely commute in new York and London.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

As opposed to what the second amendment guarantees, shooting ones mouth or anyone around.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:55 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

As opposed to what the second amendment guarantees, shooting ones mouth or anyone around.

You're confuzzled, Comrade.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:56 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd
I gave the answer. You dodge the actual issue and repeat the same stupid comparison.

Not fighting radical Islam = Somalia,  Nigeria and Pakistan. That is your prescription. Fortunately sane world thinks different. Hence people continue to safely commute in new York and London.
What was the actual issue? moderate muslims or stupidity like this?
Just look at the U.S. response to the 9/11 attacks: Instead of focusing its attention solely on al Qaeda, George W. Bush’s administration chose to invade Iraq, a senseless and unnecessary diversion that eventually helped spawn the Islamic State

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Bravo, Comrade! Yet another red herring.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Bravo, Comrade! Yet another red herring.
Repeating a lie thousand times doesn't make it true. It is sad that rigt-wing loonies, who are largely responsible for current crisis, haven't learned a thing from WMD debacle.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:07 pm

I suspect the real reason we exaggerate these threats has more to do with domestic politics than with the true level of danger. Whenever a terrorist incident occurs, politicians are quick to accuse incumbents of failing to do enough to prevent such actions. The fear of such accusations, of course, encourages officials to overreact so that they aren’t vulnerable to the charge of insufficient vigilance. The ever-growing coterie of terrorism experts and counterterrorism consultants is equally quick to hype the danger and prescribe responses because that is what keeps all that money flowing into their coffers. With a few exceptions, the official national security establishment isn’t about to downplay the danger either, because threat inflation is its lifeblood too. And the media has every reason to join the chorus of doom and gloom
Author nailed it. We all have seen play out time and again; be it is NRI patritots, Chaddies of India or the right of the western world.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:14 pm

i don't like the premise of the original post, but it's not unlike the equivalence between gun deaths and autmobile deaths that the american right wingers frequently draw. so it should be easier for them to accept the premise of this comparison.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't like the premise of the original post, but it's not unlike the equivalence between gun deaths and autmobile deaths that the american right wingers frequently draw.  so it should be easier for them to accept the premise of this comparison.  

And yet, if it suits your gun-control agenda...
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't like the premise of the original post, but it's not unlike the equivalence between gun deaths and autmobile deaths that the american right wingers frequently draw.  so it should be easier for them to accept the premise of this comparison.  

no i don't accept the premise or the conclusions, but it should be easier for you to accept it since you frequently pull this very argument out every time a discussion of gun statistics comes up. you should find it very compelling. i am surprised that you don't.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

no i don't accept the premise or the conclusions, but it should be easier for you to accept it since you frequently pull this very argument out every time a discussion of gun statistics comes up. you should find it very compelling.  i am surprised that you don't.

I guess according you to gun-owners are going around proclaiming war on the West and blowing up buildings and executing journalists because they don't agree with their viewpoint, Il Professore?

Let's not get carried away with red herrings.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

no i don't accept the premise or the conclusions, but it should be easier for you to accept it since you frequently pull this very argument out every time a discussion of gun statistics comes up. you should find it very compelling.  i am surprised that you don't.

I guess according you to gun-owners are going around proclaiming war on the West and blowing up buildings and executing journalists because they don't agree with their viewpoint, Il Professore?

Let's not get carried away with red herrings.

no, instead of focusing on death by islam, you should focus on death by guns. note that this not my argument, but an argument for focusing on gun violence over terrorism presented using the same polemic style favored by you and your political friends.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm

and since we both don't seem to like the argument in the subject line of this post, perhaps one positive outcome of this discussion might be that you will be willing to shelve forever that lame line about automobiles and guns.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and since we both don't seem to like the argument in the subject line of this post, perhaps one positive outcome of this discussion might be that you will be willing to shelve forever that lame line about automobiles and guns.

To quote his Holiness, dream on.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and since we both don't seem to like the argument in the subject line of this post, perhaps one positive outcome of this discussion might be that you will be willing to shelve forever that lame line about automobiles and guns.

that's what i thought.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

that's what i thought.

Please continue your efforts to repeal the 2nd. To quote the President's campaign, yes you can.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

that's what i thought.

Please continue your efforts to repeal the 2nd. To quote the President's campaign, yes you can.

that never was and never will be a goal. most of us who care about this are pragmatists, no matter how hard you gun nuts try to portray us otherwise.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

that's what i thought.

that never was and never will be a goal. most of us who care about this are pragmatists, no matter how hard you gun nuts try to portray us otherwise.

You can continue to fool yourself, Il Professore. But it is kind of like raising taxes.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

that's what i thought.

You can continue to fool yourself, Il Professore. But it is kind of like raising taxes.

i don't understand. fool myself? i have never signed on to any campaign whose aim is to repeal the second. how then am i fooling myself?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 pm

CD

Such is posing some problem quoting earlier posts.  

I gave you examples of what happens in somalia, nigeria and Pakistan. You run away from those examples and talk about another  issue. 

Whether you agree or not islam spawns violent groups. You, merlot sipper and professor bring up irrelevant issues. 

Cause is islam and its obscurantism. There may be other reasosns. but try as you might, you cannot escape the islam's obscurantism as the source of problem.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 pm

truthbetold wrote:CD

Such is posing some problem quoting earlier posts.  

I gave you examples of what happens in somalia, nigeria and Pakistan. You run away from those examples and talk about another  issue

Whether you agree or not islam spawns violent groups. You, merlot sipper and professor bring up irrelevant issues. 

Cause is islam and its obscurantism. There may be other reasosns. but try as you might, you cannot escape the islam's obscurantism as the source of problem.
Run away? for every example you provide there is India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia and a host of countries in ME & Africa that prove that your argument is fallacious.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:31 pm

CD

How? 

India and malaysia proves my point that when followers of islam are interacting with other religions they are likely to move away islamic obscurantism and learn to accept simple principles of democracy, tolerance and compromise. 

Islamic obscurantism is the problem.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down