Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks

+3
Hellsangel
Impedimenta
confuzzled dude
7 posters

Go down

Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks Empty Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 am

Around the same time, the Shiv Sena itself was grumbling against two south Indian delicacies that had become Bombay (as it was known then) staples—the dosa and the idli.

That’s because “Bal Thackeray, the founder of the Shiv Sena, accused south Indians of taking jobs that ‘rightly’ belonged to the Marathi manoos,” Harris Solomon, a professor of cultural anthropology in Duke University, wrote in a paper last month.

So, Shiv Sena workers began encouraging members to set up stalls around the party’s outposts across the city.

Solomon’s study—”The Taste No Chef Can Give: Processing Street Food in Mumbai”—is based on 18 months of field research in India’s financial capital, and is an attempt to understand how the Shiv Sena branded the vada pav as its own.

By the 1980s, as Mumbai’s textile mills began to shut down, the Shiv Sena made a cunning culinary manoeuvre. Mill workers who lost their jobs to the closures had begun putting up vada pav stalls around those factories that were still running. And their colleagues in these establishments reciprocated by buying from them. The Shiv Sena swiftly capitalised on this sentiment.

“The Shiv Sena stepped in and offered unlicensed hawkers protection from city officials and police, for a price. It began as a few rupees each day, but over time would indebt street vendors to the Shiv Sena in amounts of hundreds or even thousands of rupees a week,” explained Solomon. “It was this milieu that gave birth to the Shiv Sena’s own origin story of the vada pav: the authentic snack that sustained workers in times of labour trouble.”
http://qz.com/358779/how-a-right-wing-political-party-crafted-the-legend-of-mumbais-most-famous-snack/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks Empty Re: Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks

Post by Impedimenta Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 am

nothing else registered in my head other than vada pav! I know what I'm going to be doing for lunch. do you?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks Empty Re: Not Vada Pav -- Idli, Dosa used to be Bombay's favorite snacks

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:50 am

The Shiva Sena is no different than the DK parties. So how does one become right and the other left?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:58 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Around the same time, the Shiv Sena itself was grumbling against two south Indian delicacies that had become Bombay (as it was known then) staples—the dosa and the idli.

That’s because “Bal Thackeray, the founder of the Shiv Sena, accused south Indians of taking jobs that ‘rightly’ belonged to the Marathi manoos,” Harris Solomon, a professor of cultural anthropology in Duke University, wrote in a paper last month.

So, Shiv Sena workers began encouraging members to set up stalls around the party’s outposts across the city.

Solomon’s study—”The Taste No Chef Can Give: Processing Street Food in Mumbai”—is based on 18 months of field research in India’s financial capital, and is an attempt to understand how the Shiv Sena branded the vada pav as its own.

By the 1980s, as Mumbai’s textile mills began to shut down, the Shiv Sena made a cunning culinary manoeuvre. Mill workers who lost their jobs to the closures had begun putting up vada pav stalls around those factories that were still running. And their colleagues in these establishments reciprocated by buying from them. The Shiv Sena swiftly capitalised on this sentiment.

“The Shiv Sena stepped in and offered unlicensed hawkers protection from city officials and police, for a price. It began as a few rupees each day, but over time would indebt street vendors to the Shiv Sena in amounts of hundreds or even thousands of rupees a week,” explained Solomon. “It was this milieu that gave birth to the Shiv Sena’s own origin story of the vada pav: the authentic snack that sustained workers in times of labour trouble.”
http://qz.com/358779/how-a-right-wing-political-party-crafted-the-legend-of-mumbais-most-famous-snack/

at the hostel mess, the food was generally bad.  then we got the idea that we should just let the cooks make whatever is authentic from the places they're from instead of handing them a menu and asking them to follow it. the food quality improved.  there were two malayali cooks on the staff and hence avial became a staple for a while.  we tamilians and malayalis really used to look forward to this once a week satisfying meal. then the hate campaign to get it off the menu started. all kinds of weird reasons including that it looked ugly and unappetizing were put forward and the poor avial got the boot.  that was the last time i ate at my hostel mess. must have been middle of second year. a whole bunch of us southern indians (mostly bombay tamilians and a sprinkling of telugus and malayalis) boycotted the mess and joined as guests in a neighboring hostel's mess which had more varied and tastier fare.  we were allowed to do this for an extra fee.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am

vada pav is the humble indian burger !!

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

at the hostel mess, the food was generally bad.  then we got the idea that we should just let the cooks make whatever is authentic from the places they're from instead of handing them a menu and asking them to follow it. the food quality improved.  there were two malayali cooks on the staff and hence avial became a staple for a while.  we tamilians and malayalis really used to look forward to this once a week satisfying meal. then the hate campaign to get it off the menu started. all kinds of weird reasons including that it looked ugly and unappetizing were put forward and the poor avial got the boot.  that was the last time i ate at my hostel mess. must have been middle of second year. a whole bunch of us southern indians (mostly bombay tamilians and a sprinkling of telugus and malayalis) boycotted the mess and joined as guests in a neighboring hostel's mess which had more varied and tastier fare.  we were allowed to do this for an extra fee.

I read your account but only avaial is sticking in my head Surprised  where am I going to find a place that serves both vada pav and avaial for lunch?
Fine.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 am

ashdoc wrote:vada pav is the humble indian burger !!
Nah. Just a Bombay burger.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 am

Hellsangel wrote:
at least it is available in other parts of maharashtra . so it is maharashtra burger !!

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 am

ashdoc wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
at least it is available in other parts of maharashtra . so it is maharashtra burger !!

Good. Now why don't you go edit Wikipedia and add it to the list. doc?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hamburgers
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 am

vadapav - horrible snack. why is it always so nauseatingly greasy, coz the potato soaks up oil like nothing else?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 am

Is this the one with toasted buns and masala ?

then call it "Bun Masala" Or as the Naarthies would say "Masaal Bun"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

maharashtrians have lots of light, tasty and nutritious snacks. don't know why they rant and rave about the silly vadA pAv, or as they say woadA pAv. i am partial to the thalipeet, kothimbir vadis, puran pOlis, and the misal pAvs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:50 am

for a culture with a solid cuisine, maharashtrians are too apologetic about their food. we need more maharashtrian restaurants instead of the usual punjabi and southern indian hole in the wall places everywhere in the US.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:58 am

when it comes to Bombay street food, I almost always go for paav bhaji... have had some outstanding ones there.

I like vada paav like a comfort food... we used to have it often at hotbreads in edison... I r'ber when we were bringing younger from the hospital, it was snowing and all (or had just finished snowing), but we made a stop at hotbreads before going home, and xh got vada paav for me. They had newly started making it then with all the chutneys, so it was our raving fave. Guessing that's the first shot of spicy younger got.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:when it comes to Bombay street food, I almost always go for paav bhaji... have had some outstanding ones there.

I like vada paav like a comfort food... we used to have it often at hotbreads in edison... I r'ber when we were bringing younger from the hospital, it was snowing and all (or had just finished snowing), but we made a stop at hotbreads before going home, and xh got vada paav for me. They had newly started making it then with all the chutneys, so it was our raving fave. Guessing that's the first shot of spicy younger got.
Interesting, Pav bhaji has its roots with textile mill workers as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pav_Bhaji

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down