Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How English Ruined Indian Literature

5 posters

Go down

How English Ruined Indian Literature Empty How English Ruined Indian Literature

Post by Hellsangel Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:47 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/how-english-ruined-indian-literature.html wrote:India, when left to its own devices, throws up a very different kind of writer, a man such as Chetan Bhagat, who, though he writes in English about things that are urgent and important — like life on campuses and in call centers — writes books of such poor literary quality that no one outside India can be expected to read them. India produces a number of such writers, and some justly speculate that perhaps this is the authentic voice of modern India. But this is not the voice of a confident country. It sounds rather like a country whose painful relationship with language has left it voiceless.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

How English Ruined Indian Literature Empty Re: How English Ruined Indian Literature

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 pm

i'll read taseer's article later, but chetan bhagat really is awful.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

How English Ruined Indian Literature Empty Re: How English Ruined Indian Literature

Post by seven Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:59 pm

So we get even. We ruins English WinkWink

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 am

Hellsangel wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/how-english-ruined-indian-literature.html wrote:India, when left to its own devices, throws up a very different kind of writer, a man such as Chetan Bhagat, who, though he writes in English about things that are urgent and important — like life on campuses and in call centers — writes books of such poor literary quality that no one outside India can be expected to read them. India produces a number of such writers, and some justly speculate that perhaps this is the authentic voice of modern India. But this is not the voice of a confident country. It sounds rather like a country whose painful relationship with language has left it voiceless.
>>>I think Taseer is being too harsh here. Bhagat is not really a good example of what Indians can do with English from a literary standpoint. In a broader sense, I would however agree that the preoccupation with English as a status symbol has resulted in local literature taking a back seat.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 pm

I haven't read the article but I think illiteracy ruined indian literature. that and those math tuitions.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i'll read taseer's article later, but chetan bhagat really is awful.

max, didn't I tell you to not read chetan bhagat? actually it would be better for you to stop reading altogether for a month. just go swimming and sings songs in your head. that's all I do!

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 pm

i finally read taseer's article. i think tamil might be an exception to what he is saying. one advantage of the tamils' intransigence on linguistic matters is that they never lost the connection with their language. there has always been a reasonably healthy output of tamil writing to this day. perhaps other languages were more adversely affected.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i finally read taseer's article. i think tamil might be an exception to what he is saying. one advantage of the tamils' intransigence on linguistic matters is that they never lost the connection with their language.  there has always been a reasonably healthy output of tamil writing to this day.  perhaps other languages were more adversely affected.
Yes. Tamil is great.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down