Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a question on mbas:

4 posters

Go down

a question on mbas: Empty a question on mbas:

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:14 pm

you know all the companies nowadays and also MBA programs around the world like to say that they are teaching and practicing social entrepreneurship and are highly conscientious, doing good things for the world and giving back, support philanthropy etc. are these guys for real? do they do any of that? are there any companies that really do that?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

a question on mbas: Empty Re: a question on mbas:

Post by swapna Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:39 pm

here's an example:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace_Innovations

the two indian founders are iit alums; all four are stanford alums. the indians didn't do any mba at stanford, but were grad students in engineering. the other two, I think, are stanford mbas.

caution: curb any tendency to invest your money in this or any other enterprise until you've scrutinized it thoroughly and unemotionally, and found it viable.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:37 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:you know all the companies nowadays and also MBA programs around the world like to say that they are teaching and practicing social entrepreneurship and are highly conscientious, doing good things for the world and giving back, support philanthropy etc. are these guys for real? do they do any of that? are there any companies that really do that?
>>> Yes, there are people involved in this. I know two personally, one of whom is a friend from the time I was 10. He had a good career in finance and a few years ago got recruited into this space. He says he gets something personally out of this. You need to evaluate each case on its own merit. Are they doing this as a PR ploy or is it genuine? One indication would be the age group of the people involved. If they are in their twenties/early thirties, that would be a good indication as people tend to be more idealistic at that stage. That aside, you also have to look at how effective they are. As the saying goes 'the path to hell is paved with good intentions'. It is not enough to have the motive. What really matters is how concrete the benefits are to the intended beneficiaries. There was one case I read about some years ago, where they focused on food surpluses in rich countries which were directed to starving populations. It was very systematic and there was one guy who was hands on continually with the logistics of this process. I vaguely remember it was some Christian group. This type of calling is one of the upsides of religion. I thought it would be cool to do that, but in all honesty I don't have that level of altruism to be motivated to do well in a career like that.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:38 am

I notice a clear difference between Graduates of Stanford and those from MIT. Those from Stanford exhibit a more entrepreneurial spirit while those from MIT appear to exhibit a nerdy, research/scientific mindset.

I have heard similar things about U of Michigan (nerdy research types) and GT whose graduates seem to focus a bit more on startups and entrepreneurship. Perhaps, it has much to do with the tradition of the region.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:53 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I notice a clear difference between Graduates of Stanford and those from MIT. Those from Stanford exhibit a more entrepreneurial spirit while those from MIT appear to exhibit a nerdy, research/scientific mindset.

I have heard similar things about U of Michigan (nerdy research types) and GT whose graduates seem to focus a bit more on startups and entrepreneurship. Perhaps, it has much to do with the tradition of the region.

if I were to be generous, I'd say that your memory of something you read somewhere is wrong; if I were to be not so generous, I'd say that you're expelling bovine waste.

the distinction is between stanford and harvard, with the former showing a preference, probably according to its founder's vision, for undertaking research and knowledge development that can be applied relatively soon. harvard is a more scholarly university.

given its name, it would make sense that m.I.t. has a preference for applications.

it makes little or no sense to compare georgia tech with the u of michigan, the latter being the scholarly place.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 am

swapna wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I notice a clear difference between Graduates of Stanford and those from MIT. Those from Stanford exhibit a more entrepreneurial spirit while those from MIT appear to exhibit a nerdy, research/scientific mindset.

if I were to be generous, I'd say that your memory of something you read somewhere is wrong; if I were to be not so generous, I'd say that you're expelling bovine waste.

the distinction is between stanford and harvard, with the former showing a preference, probably according to its founder's vision, for undertaking research and knowledge development that can be applied relatively soon. harvard is a more scholarly university.

given its name, it would make sense that m.I.t. has a preference for applications.

it makes little or no sense to compare georgia tech with the u of michigan, the latter being the scholarly place.

Your comments are not credible as you are constipated with anything "Tech" as you dont consider them as University. Perhaps, to satisfy your dictionary MIT and GT should change their names to MUT and GUT. According to you the Nobel committee should withdraw all the ones awarded to those at MIT and other Tech.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down