Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAK Pataudi Dies

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
The Absolute Zero
6 posters

Go down

MAK Pataudi Dies Empty MAK Pataudi Dies

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 am

He is no more. He was regarded as a shrewd Captain and youngest to Captain India. Someone told me the following story about MAK.

He was on 199 not out and the last ball of innings was on. The test was heading for a draw. Bowler bowls a good one, MAK drives but the ball is stopped by the bowler with his shoe. MAK looked dashed and the bowler looked at MAK and took the ball and threw it to boundary thereby making him 203 not out.

Can this kind of sportsman spirit be possible in these days? (Particularly when one $kar plays for his money at the fag end of his career, fighting injuries and trying to stay awake in the middle of the field)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

MAK Pataudi Dies Empty Re: MAK Pataudi Dies

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 am

Not to mention that MAK was playing with one eye.

my condolences to Ayesha Khan.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Not to mention that MAK was playing with one eye.

That to me has always been awe-inspiring esp. with safety gear not being as good a sit is now...RIP MAK Pataudi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 am

Oh no!!!!!!! Tiger Patuadi. One of my earlier celebrity crushes...

Sad RIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Not to mention that MAK was playing with one eye.

my condolences to Ayesha Khan.

Sharmila Tagore Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Oh no!!!!!!! Tiger Patuadi. One of my earlier celebrity crushes...

Sad RIP

Only 70... that's a rare age for sportspeople usualy.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am

He was arguably the best outside fielder (Covers) to play for India. May be Solkar the best close-in fielder.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:Oh no!!!!!!! Tiger Patuadi. One of my earlier celebrity crushes...

Sad RIP

scratch 69 or 71, ok? Smile

Ah..if you meant they're athletes and they take care of their bodies and should live longer -

Fact is a lot of ex-athletes in every sport - are susceptible to many health risks during their playing careers and do not take care of their health as well as they should. Wait, are cricketers athletes now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 am

Richard Hed wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

Sad RIP

scratch 69 or 71, ok? Smile

Ah..if you meant they're athletes and they take care of their bodies and should live longer -

Fact is a lot of ex-athletes in every sport - are susceptible to many health risks during their playing careers and do not take care of their health as well as they should. Wait, are cricketers athletes now?

I meant most cricketers and politicians (well that's another topic), usually live longer. Many retired crickers still continue to play, or stay active and healthy. But maybe my opinion is so coz most of the ex-cricketers (at whatever level) that I have seen have taken good care of themselves. edit: Exceptions exist.

Tiger Pataudi used to smoke? Memory fuzzy on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 am

Whether true or not, both Hyd cricketers Pataudi and Azza married movie actors and once married they had their careers ruined. (by themselves or otherwise).

But for Pataudi the status was excellent. Did not go out with bad name like Azza. Yes both were excellent fielders too. Amazing how he batted with one eye against stalwarts like Griffith and such WI speedsters, that too without any head gear.

Now for the $kar bashing. The crifinfo says that Tiger was youngest Captain at 21 and that record stood till 2004. Hope $kar was not the captain who broke the record! Who overtook?

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

The Absolute Zero wrote: Did not go out with bad name like Azza.

He did not matchfix and compromise his honor and sell the country short.

Also didn't Pataudi play for Delhi first in the Ranji Trophy before he moved to Hyderabad?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Sad news indeed and only 70.

I remember seeing him playing at Chepauk when I was a kid. Very elegant cover drives off the backfoot. Seemed like a distinguished gentleman in interviews.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:He is no more. He was regarded as a shrewd Captain and youngest to Captain India. Someone told me the following story about MAK.

He was on 199 not out and the last ball of innings was on. The test was heading for a draw. Bowler bowls a good one, MAK drives but the ball is stopped by the bowler with his shoe. MAK looked dashed and the bowler looked at MAK and took the ball and threw it to boundary thereby making him 203 not out.

Can this kind of sportsman spirit be possible in these days? (Particularly when one $kar plays for his money at the fag end of his career, fighting injuries and trying to stay awake in the middle of the field)

that is perhaps a true story. it may not have been a double hundred but a hundred though. jeffrey archer wrote a short story on that in one of his books. btw, how is this sportsman spirit? if anything, it was an insult to the game of cricket and injustice to the bowler. you don't give away free runs in cricket. ever. even if it is a domestic match. the fielder was obviously obsessed with personal milestones. was he a sri lankan?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:Whether true or not, both Hyd cricketers Pataudi and Azza married movie actors and once married they had their careers ruined. (by themselves or otherwise).

But for Pataudi the status was excellent. Did not go out with bad name like Azza. Yes both were excellent fielders too. Amazing how he batted with one eye against stalwarts like Griffith and such WI speedsters, that too without any head gear.

Now for the $kar bashing. The crifinfo says that Tiger was youngest Captain at 21 and that record stood till 2004. Hope $kar was not the captain who broke the record! Who overtook?

Tendulkar wasn't the captain in 2004. His captaincy stint was over in 2000. The youngest captain is Zimbabwe's Taibu.

MAK was on stage just 2-3 weeks ago to hand over the MAK Pataudi trophy to England for the series win. They had a sponsor's trophy as well, and for some reason, that was awarded first. They did not even show when the MAK trophy was handed over. MAK was standing on the stage, alone and neglected, while the celebrations were going on.

Gavaskar was furious about the whole thing. I too found it rather insulting to MAK.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

One interesting thing about Pataudi --- He was the captain of the national cricket team, but in Hyderabad he was playing under M.L. Jayasimha. He never captained Hyderabad in Ranji Trophy:-Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:12 am

Prasanna and Bedi owe their careers to Pataudi for his unbending support to attacking spin. Chandrashekar saw his better days under Wadekar.

I am very happy to see the wide appreciation of Pataudi in press, TV and on this forum. It is nice to see people recognize some one for his contributions rather just for mere records.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down