Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dilemma of American born Indian kids

+5
pravalika nanda
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dilemma of American born Indian kids Empty Dilemma of American born Indian kids

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

For many children of immigrants, it’s not about adapting. They genuinely feel more like a Harry than they would ever feel like a Hardik. At the end of the day, though, it’s a personal choice. If you “feel white,” as Namrata “Nikki” Haley apparently does (so much so that she identified as white in a 2011 voter registration form, though she was born into an Indian Sikh family), then maybe you’re glad for the opportunity to use an alias, even if your name is a simple one.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/21/when-nikhil-becomes-nik-and-piyush-becomes-bobby-jindal/?hpid=z8

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Dilemma of American born Indian kids Empty Re: Dilemma of American born Indian kids

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
For many children of immigrants, it’s not about adapting. They genuinely feel more like a Harry than they would ever feel like a Hardik. At the end of the day, though, it’s a personal choice. If you “feel white,” as Namrata “Nikki” Haley apparently does (so much so that she identified as white in a 2011 voter registration form, though she was born into an Indian Sikh family), then maybe you’re glad for the opportunity to use an alias, even if your name is a simple one.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/21/when-nikhil-becomes-nik-and-piyush-becomes-bobby-jindal/?hpid=z8

A load of crap and a justification for bad parenting.

How can the kids think of themselves as Indians if they were not exposed to Indian culture/India by their parents? How will they know the value behind their names if the parents never told them the name/meaning/relevance (perhaps, they did not know). If one has to change their name to make life easier for the barista, then they have do this and that differently to make it easy for the boss, co-worker, colleague, etc..

In fact, the acronym ABCD is obsolete. The ABDs - just during my period at Sulekha - have changed and know more about India, Indian culture, more sure-footed than the Western-aping Indian millenials - I find most of them know didly and shyt about India or Indian culture.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Dilemma of American born Indian kids Empty Re: Dilemma of American born Indian kids

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:57 pm

very northindian-in-deep-american-south centric article. i disagree with this in particular:

While immigrant Indians go down this path to smooth their transition into American culture and adjust to their new life, for second-generation Indians, born and brought up in America, dealing with one’s name is part of a larger identity crisis. They often hear the phrase “White from the inside, brown on the outside.” Their parents try hard to educate them on a culture they will never experience aside from a handful of summer vacations every few years, while they’re dealing with the everyday experience of being an American teenager.

not true of the indian-american kids in our circle.  i feel they truly get the best of both worlds and don't at all seem conflicted. the reality is very different for bi-coastal IA kids of today. i don't know of a single bobby, nikky or stacy in our kids' generation of IAs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
>>>Jindal and Haley are politicians and also from a different generation when immigrants had a defensive attitude. There was also not much going back and forth to the home country. The Indian kids growing up today come from a position of confidence. I also wouldn't read too much into this name thing. Americans tend to do this all the time. It is just a matter of pragmatism. Even on that front, things are changing. My kids have very common indian names, albeit short ones and no one seems to have much trouble with them at least in their peer group.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
>>>Jindal and Haley are politicians and also from a different generation when immigrants had a defensive attitude. There was also not much going back and forth to the home country. The Indian kids growing up today come from a position of confidence. I also wouldn't read too much into this name thing. Americans tend to do this all the time. It is just a matter of pragmatism. Even on that front, things are changing. My kids have very common indian names, albeit short ones and no one seems to have much trouble with them at least in their peer group.
Aneesh Chopra, former CTO, also ran for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, is of same generation but he was born and raised in NJ so probably didn't have similar experiences as Haley or Jindal, growing up. Name change or not those two are successful Indian Americans.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hi Kris! Smile. i agree. The article probably would've been relevant a generation ago, not during the current times.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:very northindian-in-deep-american-south centric article. i disagree with this in particular:

While immigrant Indians go down this path to smooth their transition into American culture and adjust to their new life, for second-generation Indians, born and brought up in America, dealing with one’s name is part of a larger identity crisis. They often hear the phrase “White from the inside, brown on the outside.” Their parents try hard to educate them on a culture they will never experience aside from a handful of summer vacations every few years, while they’re dealing with the everyday experience of being an American teenager.

not true of the indian-american kids in our circle.  i feel they truly get the best of both worlds and don't at all seem conflicted. the reality is very different for bi-coastal IA kids of today. i don't know of a single bobby, nikky or stacy in our kids' generation of IAs.
I guess big city vs small town brought up. In general, North Indians (especially Sikhs) appear to prefer American names.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

How can the kids think of themselves as Indians if they were not exposed to Indian culture/India by their parents?  How will they know the value behind their names if the parents never told them the name/meaning/relevance (perhaps, they did not know). If one has to change their name to make life easier for the barista, then they have do this and that differently to make it easy for the boss, co-worker, colleague, etc..

In fact, the acronym ABCD is obsolete. The ABDs - just during my period at Sulekha - have changed and know more about India, Indian culture, more sure-footed than the Western-aping Indian millenials - I find most of them know didly and shyt about India or Indian culture.
Bad parenting, really?!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:57 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

How can the kids think of themselves as Indians if they were not exposed to Indian culture/India by their parents?  How will they know the value behind their names if the parents never told them the name/meaning/relevance (perhaps, they did not know). If one has to change their name to make life easier for the barista, then they have do this and that differently to make it easy for the boss, co-worker, colleague, etc..

Bad parenting, really?!
One thing is most surprising about Bobby Jindal. The story goes around that he decided and changed his name to Bobby, from Piyish when he was 4 yrs old, i.e in Preschool. Seriously? It indicates that the kiddo had a huge complex and issues since that tender age. What were the parents doing? No wonder he changed his religion too in his teens.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Bad parenting, really?!
One thing is most surprising about Bobby Jindal. The story goes around that he decided and changed his name to Bobby, from Piyish when he was 4 yrs old, i.e in Preschool. Seriously? It indicates that the kiddo had a huge complex and issues since that tender age. What were the parents doing? No wonder he changed his religion too in his teens.
Aren't Bunty, Bobby, Bunny etc., typical NI nick names?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:23 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Bad parenting, really?!
Ya, so? they are real/nick names even in India. The question is not about the names. The point is that the kiddo had complexes right from a young age. Patents should've noticed it and instilled some confidence and pride about his roots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Bad parenting, really?!
Ya, so? they are real/nick names even in India. The question is not about the names. The point is that the kiddo had complexes right from a young age. Patents should've noticed it and instilled some confidence and pride about his roots.

Many Indian kids do feel intimidated by their classmates at 5 to 10 yrs. Many kids do want to change their names - many of them end up getting a Nik, Sub, Rob, etc... as a compromise. But, if the parents explained to them the reason behind the kids names and their relevance and any link to family, ancestry and hometown, the kids do accept. They end up repeating the story to their friends and teachers. They do feel the pride in high school and beyond. That too, with the current status of Indians and India among the Westerners - gone are the days of snakes and elephants - Indian kids are not that hung up about their culture. OTOH, just look at the status of the FOBDs (Fresh off the Boat Desis) and their knowledge about Indian culture.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 pm

@Uppili

Exactly! When I told my kids that we don't eat beef, they wanted to know why. I clearly explained to them why. They were convinced and don't touch beef at all. They check the labels to look for the contents to see if it has beef in it. My older went a step further and stopped eating the meat of mammals altogether (no goat, lamb, pork either). 

I've seen many telugu brahmin, jain, and gujarati kids not touching any non-veg at all and remaining strict vegetarian even when they are on their own in colleges. I guess it's the same with muslim kids wrt pork. It's all in their upbringing.

I also explained the meaning of their first names to my sons and the lineage of their last name. They love their names and won't allow to shorten them (i actually don't care about shortening them, but they do. I call them by their short names, but they insist on using their full names outside).

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:35 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

In Kalifornia, indian kids will feel bad only if they have americanized names - these days.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 am

Kinnera wrote:@Uppili

Exactly! When I told my kids that we don't eat beef, they wanted to know why. I clearly explained to them why. They were convinced and don't touch beef at all. They check the labels to look for the contents to see if it has beef in it. My older went a step further and stopped eating the meat of mammals altogether (no goat, lamb, pork either). 

I've seen many telugu brahmin, jain, and gujarati kids not touching any non-veg at all and remaining strict vegetarian even when they are on their own in colleges. I guess it's the same with muslim kids wrt pork. It's all in their upbringing.

I also explained the meaning of their first names to my sons and the lineage of their last name. They love their names and won't allow to shorten them (i actually don't care about shortening them, but they do. I call them by their short names, but they insist on using their full names outside).
when we started out poor and lived in a shady neighborhood, i went to a public school where for years i was just baby-sat and taught nothing. i was easy to baby-sit. the rest of my classmates were slamming doors, throwing books and desks at each other and the teacher. they were all poor minorities: african american/spanish/italian/jewish. the spanish-speaking population and the italians were frightfully bigotted and harassed me whenever they could cuz i was the only indian person. i often told them lies about my ethnicity - my mom is japanese and my dad is indian etc - and fairy tales to distract them.

so i think overt racism comes from a place of ignorance and poverty and if you're from an indian lower-class family (e.g. small business owners/DD/7/11/secretaries/nurses/taxi drivers/etc) and sending your kids to a public school, expect your  kids to be heavily subjected to it.  nowadays i interact with adults who have money and education, plus the field i'm in has a lot of indians so the surprise and racism is not so overt but i don't see indian men or women in positions of power..now that i thinko fit there is this wall in the ahllway of all the chairs of the department for the last 50 yrs, only one woman in all this time! so racism and sexism do exist.

the other thing is that i've observed a lot of my juniors - indians/asians have to make their performance speak for themselves in order to even be acknowledged in a room but a lot of the other guys know only half of what they talk about yet everyone knows and loves them. even in the east coast cities, who do you think has an easier time at work: junsuki kakizaki, vineela kirshnamurthy, or john spencer?

two years ago i was taking care of a woman and she said, "i expect to be taken care of by a christian, not you." i requested an indian christian male to take care of her. right in the heart of an exclusive part of nyc.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

when we started out poor and lived in a shady neighborhood, i went to a public school where for years i was just baby-sat and taught nothing. i was easy to baby-sit. the rest of my classmates were slamming doors, throwing books and desks at each other and the teacher. they were all poor minorities: african american/spanish/italian/jewish. the spanish-speaking population and the italians were frightfully bigotted and harassed me whenever they could cuz i was the only indian person. i often told them lies about my ethnicity - my mom is japanese and my dad is indian etc - and fairy tales to distract them.

so i think overt racism comes from a place of ignorance and poverty and if you're from an indian lower-class family (e.g. small business owners/DD/7/11/secretaries/nurses/taxi drivers/etc) and sending your kids to a public school, expect your  kids to be heavily subjected to it.  nowadays i interact with adults who have money and education, plus the field i'm in has a lot of indians so the surprise and racism is not so overt but i don't see indian men or women in positions of power..now that i thinko fit there is this wall in the ahllway of all the chairs of the department for the last 50 yrs, only one woman in all this time! so racism and sexism do exist.

the other thing is that i've observed a lot of my juniors - indians/asians have to make their performance speak for themselves in order to even be acknowledged in a room but a lot of the other guys know only half of what they talk about yet everyone knows and loves them. even in the east coast cities, who do you think has an easier time at work: junsuki kakizaki, vineela kirshnamurthy, or john spencer?

two years ago i was taking care of a woman and she said, "i expect to be taken care of by a christian, not you." i requested an indian christian male to take care of her. right in the heart of an exclusive part of nyc.
Dilemma of American born Indian kids Crying-waterfalls

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 pm

I hope you're not suggesting that shoving chaddiness down their throat is good parenting.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:41 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
I hope you're not suggesting that shoving chaddiness down their throat is good parenting.

how does explaining one's cultural values qualify as "shoving chaddiness" down the kids' throats?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 pm

if you or one of your children don't eat beef, but do eat the meat of lamb, goat, or chicken, please explain why.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

how does explaining one's cultural values qualify as "shoving chaddiness" down the kids' throats?
It has its downside. From my personal experience, it prevents them from assimilating & makes them feel they're not mainstream Americans. I had to repeat myself to my daughter that she is as American as anyone else.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

It has its downside. From my personal experience, it prevents them from assimilating & makes them feel they're not mainstream Americans. I had to repeat myself to my daughter that she is as American as anyone else.

Congratulations... Now you can compare notes with the other "Intelligentan" here Rev Flimmy Iyer.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Bravo@PN.

You do have Truth in your heart.

Best wishes,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:09 am

swapna wrote:

if you or one of your children don't eat beef, but do eat the meat of lamb, goat, or chicken, please explain why.

Let me explain on her behalf: Just like Bible prohibits Christians eating Horses, Americans and westerners prohibit eating cats and dogs, Kinny's kids dont eat Hinduism-prohibited Cows. Just like the Christians, Muslims and others, Kinny's kids are secular and hence eat everything else "secularistas- as recognized by you" eat.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:27 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

>>>My personal opinion is that they should feel comfortable with themselves rather than worry about being anything specific. That comes from children seeing confident parents and being exposed to different cultures from which they are free to choose. Occasionally, there have been conversations with my kids about Indian parent stereotypes. It has now evolved to a healthy understanding that Indian parents or Chinese parents or Americans, for that matter, are not a monolith.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

>>>My personal opinion is that they should feel comfortable with themselves rather than worry about being anything specific. That comes from children seeing confident parents and being exposed to different cultures from which they are free to choose. Occasionally, there have been conversations with my kids about Indian parent stereotypes. It has now evolved to a healthy understanding that Indian parents or Chinese parents or Americans, for that matter, are not a monolith.
very well said!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:14 am

swapna wrote:

Exactly! When I told my kids that we don't eat beef, they wanted to know why...

hmmm...with all this third person singular etc., one is ready for another day, another...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

like avial or bisibeLabAth Smile
does the cliched 'melting pot' qualify?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 pm

The logic is very, very, very simple.

Kids who were/are raised in Tamil Nadu eat Idli, Dosa because they grow eating Idli, Dosa AT HOME.

Kids raised in China eat noodles for the same reason.

Same for the Punjabi loving Rajma Rice child in Chandigarh.

The home and surrounding played/plays a large role in everything. Today world culture has entered our homes which has given limitless flexibility in creating AN environment at home.

Today, I have friends in India who don't cook Indian food, are lazy and then explain why kid loves Burrito and Burger. US friends have the same issue.

Same goes for TV programs and music. My generation in India was raised listening to Indian music (naturally) and so goes my choices.

2015 is different.

Thanks to Internet, global TV and almost free phone, if you want you can raise a Chinese speaking, Chinese eating child in your home in US. 2 parents I know are home schooling their child and doing exactly the same.

I'm surprised how much kids can learn about Indian culture without being confused about their identity. 

I have zero knowledge and appreciation for English songs, but kid knows English and Indian music through Youtube, internet. Same for the food.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:22 pm

swapna wrote:

Let me explain on her behalf: Just like Bible prohibits Christians eating Horses, Americans and westerners prohibit eating cats and dogs, Kinny's kids dont eat Hinduism-prohibited Cows. Just like the Christians, Muslims and others, Kinny's kids are secular and hence eat everything else "secularistas- as recognized by you" eat.
you haven't explained why kinnera and her child don't eat beef, whereas they do eat other kinds of meat. moreover, kinnera hasn't authorized you to give an explanation on her behalf. the glut administrator will send you back to kansas for this.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 pm

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

you haven't explained why kinnera and her child don't eat beef, whereas they do eat other kinds of meat. moreover, kinnera hasn't authorized you to give an explanation on her behalf. the glut administrator will send you back to kansas for this.

There is one little thing you forgot. I have diplomatic pass on this site.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 am

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

there's a not-so-little thing you're evading: explaining why it's alright to eat the meat of goats, lambs, and chickens, but not that of cows.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:56 am

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

Thomas,

How's your BP today? Massachusetts is becoming crowded.

First Marathadi-Saamiyaar moved there and now TruthSeeker is moving to MA. Max already lives there and maybe few others.

How's MA going to cope with so many SuChers? I can't believe Max offered to help a NorthIndian. I pray he was just kidding when he said that.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

assimilation and merging into the mainstream are formulas for mediocrity.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 am

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

there's a not-so-little thing you're evading: explaining why it's alright to eat the meat of goats, lambs, and chickens, but not that of cows.

that is because cattle meat is considered tamasic. goats, lamb and chicken are satvic. tamasic foods like cattle and horses have negative gunas. they can hurt you. remember, everything is digested through the alimentary canal. tamasic food like cattle meat will disrupt the sudarshan chakra which has an impact on your mood -- notably anger, aggression and violence. satvik food will maintain mitahara harmony. satvik food, while restoring bodily tamas, will also regulate blood supply and prevent cardiovascular, or, vahana, diseases. 

this is why hindus like uppili and i avoid beef. 

btw, fish is satvik! so is sea food and snail meat.

questions?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:52 am

swapna wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

How so? Assimilation to me is being open-minded and tolerant of other cultures and points of view.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 pm

swapna wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

are you an example? talking from experience sir ji? ya allah!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:40 am

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

I think we discussed this a million times on Sulekha. Contemplate on why Indians revere the sun without which there won't be life on earth, the rivers which sustain them, the mountains like the Himalayas where the rivers originate from, the medicinal plants like Tulasi which they used to depend on in times of illness, the earth on which they live on, the cows which used to provide milk to the starving babies when their mothers' milk is not sufficient and the oxen which were used to till the ground and help them grow their food. The tradition of reverence continues and so we don't eat cows....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:25 am

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:

I think we discussed this a million times on Sulekha. Contemplate on why Indians revere the sun without which there won't be life on earth, the rivers which sustain them, the mountains like the Himalayas where the rivers originate from, the medicinal plants like Tulasi which they used to depend on in times of illness, the earth on which they live on, the cows which used to provide milk to the starving babies when their mothers' milk is not sufficient and the oxen which were used to till the ground and help them grow their food. The tradition of reverence continues and so we don't eat cows....

it is because cattle meat is considered tamasic. goats, lamb and chicken are satvic. tamasic foods like cattle and horses have negative gunas. they can hurt you. remember, everything is digested through the alimentary canal. tamasic food like cattle meat will disrupt the sudarshan chakra which has an impact on your mood -- notably anger, aggression and violence. satvik food will maintain mitahara harmony. satvik food, while restoring bodily tamas, will also regulate blood supply and prevent cardiovascular, or, vahana, diseases. 

this is why hindus like you and i avoid beef. 

btw, fish is satvik! so is sea food and snail meat.

questions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37 am

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

Most valid reason is that Cows provided the milk, curd and butter which were essential part of hindu diet - whereas Goat, lamb and Chicken were of lesser value to their diet. So they made Cows "holy" They were so valuable they made an exception only for the "Brahmins" to consume on special occasions.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:11 am

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

Most valid reason is that Cows provided the milk, curd and butter which were essential part of hindu diet - whereas Goat, lamb and Chicken were of lesser value to their diet. So they made Cows "holy"  They were so valuable they made an exception only for the "Brahmins" to consume on special occasions.

you mean "kumbakOnNam gowNdar iyengars" Wink rare/medium/welldone? on 31st of Sep/Nov ?? and when else?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:26 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
swapna wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

How so? Assimilation to me is being open-minded and tolerant of other cultures and points of view.
assimilation is the process of erasing all that is unique and special about an individual. assimilation destroys the unique, which is worth developing, refining, and passing on, and preserves that which is widely available, merely for the security of being like everyone else.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:35 pm

swapna wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
swapna wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

assimilation is the process of erasing all that is unique and special about an individual. assimilation destroys the unique, which is worth developing, refining, and passing on, and preserves that which is widely available, merely for the security of being like everyone else.

Did you forget that you are talking to a commie and an iSlami who swear by Das Kapital and Koran, exclusively?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:47 pm

swapna wrote:
What about adapting to western clothing instead of dhoti or saree; or getting a degree in economics rather than in Sanskrit?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Kinnera wrote:
60% of milk consumed in India is buffalo milk yet Hindus routinely indulge in acts like sacrificing buffaloes and praying/celebrating the victory of Mahishasura mardini.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:54 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Most valid reason is that Cows provided the milk, curd and butter which were essential part of hindu diet - whereas Goat, lamb and Chicken were of lesser value to their diet. So they made Cows "holy"  They were so valuable they made an exception only for the "Brahmins" to consume on special occasions.

you mean "kumbakOnNam gowNdar iyengars" Wink rare/medium/welldone? on 31st of Sep/Nov ?? and when else?

Also, April/June, 31 and Feb 30-31 Annual Cow festival.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am

garam_kuta wrote:

Also, April/June,  31 and Feb 30-31 Annual Cow festival.

summa dabAikaadeenga..well done thAnae?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 am

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Used tro be medium rare...but with all the fear of bacterial contamination it is now well-done.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 am

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Used tro be medium rare...but with all the fear of bacterial contamination it is now well-done.

aiyaiyae..appO thenkalaiyaa Shocked Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Who you calling Thengathalaiyan ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:17 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

Who you calling Thengathalaiyan ?

Y......U saamiyarae Crying or Very sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next