Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

phlegmy special

3 posters

Go down

phlegmy special Empty phlegmy special

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:34 am

one of the few journos that have something important to say most of the time slams the ivies and their corrupt donation-endowment investments-returnmoneytohedgefunds scam:

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/20/9184175/malcolm-gladwell-yale

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

phlegmy special Empty Re: phlegmy special

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:one of the few journos that have something important to say most of the time slams the ivies and their corrupt donation-endowment investments-returnmoneytohedgefunds scam:

I read another article by someone from Univ of San Dieo explaing how this Endowment funds are managed by the Hedge fund managers (on a 2 + 20 formula) earning them 100s of million annually (Yale paid 480 million last year and Harvard even higher), and the Hedge fund managers donating 100 to 400 million at the end of their careers (by then they must have made a couple of Billion). The schools spend only half of that (around 200 to 300 mils) on tuition and scholarships annually.

I will post the link if I can find it again.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:one of the few journos that have something important to say most of the time slams the ivies and their corrupt donation-endowment investments-returnmoneytohedgefunds scam:

I read another article by someone from Univ of San Dieo explaing how this Endowment funds are managed by the Hedge fund managers (on a 2 + 20 formula) earning them 100s of million annually (Yale paid 480 million last year and Harvard even higher), and the Hedge fund managers donating 100 to 400 million at the end of their careers (by then they must have made a couple of Billion).  The schools spend only half of that (around 200 to 300 mils) on tuition and scholarships annually.

I will post the link if I can find it again.

yeah I read that one myself. it's a travesty what these holier-than-thou purveyors of quality higher ed do at their level

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:31 pm

I have no desire to defend yale's investment or spending decisions, but i see that a new york times op-ed refers to gladwell's tweets as a misguided rant.

moreover, neither gladwell's rant, nor your support of it would make any sense unless one knew by how much yale increased its 20 to 25 billion $ endowment by spending $480 million on its management.

what would one say if, by spending $480 million a year on investment management, yale increased its endowment by $650 million, then spent $170 million a year on financial aid, etc.?

(in reality, yale probably increased its endowment assets by $2 to $3 billion, last year; and it will use its funds according to a strategic plan that gladwell knows little or nothing about.)

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

swapna wrote:

I have no desire to defend yale's investment or spending decisions, but i see that a new york times op-ed refers to gladwell's tweets as a misguided rant.

moreover, neither gladwell's rant, nor your support of it would make any sense unless one knew by how much yale increased its 20 to 25 billion $ endowment by spending $480 million on its management.

what would one say if, by spending $480 million a year on investment management, yale increased its endowment by $650 million, then spent $170 million a year on financial aid, etc.?

(in reality, yale probably increased its endowment assets by $2 to $3 billion, last year; and it will use its funds according to a strategic plan that gladwell knows little or nothing about.)
notice that the financial whiz711 here makes a judgment about the efficacy of a $480 million spending stream by comparing it with another ($170 million) spending stream, without regard to the income stream that resulted from the $480 million expenditure! ayyo ammaiii!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:59 pm

swapna wrote:

Not everything is money, money , and money. Looks like EVERYONE has forgotten the "mission" of an institution - be it a University, corporation, or hospital.

A university mission is to educate and develop society's leaders of tomorrow. It has to strive to get resources to achieve that goal. But, spending $480 mil to Hedge funders while spending 280 mil on tuition and scholarship is not - repeat NOT - the mission or goal of a University. No wonder, the Kochs and Trump are trying to "buy" elections, Wall Street looters - after buying Congress and hospitals want to own educational institutions as well.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 am

let me say this in simpler words. 

our financial whiz711 is supporting gladwell's complaint that the $170 million that yale spent last year from its endowment, on scholarships and research, is too little in comparison with the $480 million that the university spent on investment management fees. 

but it is effective investment management that enabled yale to earn about $2.5 billion on its endowment of $22 billion, making scholarship and research funding of $170 million per year possible, thus making the $480 million investment management expense worthwhile.

it would make some sense to say that the $170 million scholarship and research funding is too small a part of the net investment return of about $2 billion - that is a matter of opinion - but that is NOT what our whizzes are saying!

our financial whizzes have not even mentioned yale's net investment return of $2 billion last year!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down