Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent.

3 posters

Go down

Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent. Empty Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent.

Post by FluteHolder Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:57 pm

One of my friend who wants to donate substantial amount in $ to charities and asked me for suggestions. I would like to keep it local and direct so that $ is not wasted in administrative expenses or other way. I was thinking about local food banks where I hope the $ received is correctly used.  

He mentioned about cancer society, etc for  which I do not see a need and instead I preferred food bank which may be direct. Instead of giving money to food bank, how about ordering such food supplies directly from the sources, companies which supply food to food bank? That way no administrative/personnel expenses? My intention is $spent is directly gone for food and not used for anything else. 

Any ideas/suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent. Empty Re: Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent.

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:00 pm

FluteHolder wrote:One of my friend who wants to donate substantial amount in $ to charities and asked me for suggestions. I would like to keep it local and direct so that $ is not wasted in administrative expenses or other way. I was thinking about local food banks where I hope the $ received is correctly used.  

He mentioned about cancer society, etc for  which I do not see a need and instead I preferred food bank which may be direct. Instead of giving money to food bank, how about ordering such food supplies directly from the sources, companies which supply food to food bank? That way no administrative/personnel expenses? My intention is $spent is directly gone for food and not used for anything else. 

How much money is he planning to donate?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent. Empty Re: Donations - Options/suggestions so that $ is appropriately spent.

Post by FluteHolder Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:11 pm

It should not matter but it is 'substantial' and may be recurring/continuous too. Like % of his sales or profits etc on a regular basis or on some special occasion/day.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 pm

FluteHolder wrote:One of my friend who wants to donate substantial amount in $ to charities and asked me for suggestions. I would like to keep it local and direct so that $ is not wasted in administrative expenses or other way. I was thinking about local food banks where I hope the $ received is correctly used.  

>>>>There are two ways of going about this that I can think of right off the bat. One is the micro approach where you identify specific people whom you want to help. It could be the hired help at your parents' place in India for instance. My dad still pays school fees for one of the maid's daughters and the driver's children. The other approach is go via institutional charities, which can be checked out relatively easily. One site I found was https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities. I think the latter is the way to go because of the outfits' ability to get better ROI due to economies of scale.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:54 am

This is being asked by an American Businessman. So have to find something local/direct here.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down