Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal

5 posters

Go down

South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal Empty South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 am

One reason why some may still ‘feel’ that the north is more lawless than the south is that they just haven’t read the crime numbers lately. They would find that it’s Kerala that’s filled with “law-breakers”, going by the National Crime Records Bureau data released earlier this year (see graphic). With just over 585 cognisable crimes per 1 lakh people in 2014, prosperous Kerala easily leaves poor Madhya Pradesh—the ‘Ma’ in BiMaRU—trailing with 358. Five of the top ten states in terms of the cognisable crime rate are in the south. The other five are scattered across the country.

South India has a higher crime rate than north but the impression is that the north is more criminal,” says Dr B.N. Chattoraj, professor of criminology at the LNJN Nati­onal Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, Delhi. “That’s because there are more sexual offences in the north. Even this is just an impression. Delhi is called the ‘rape capital’ but it is not as if all girls are raped in Delhi—far from it.”

Looking at NCRB data afresh, and from a north-south perspective, Chattoraj finds that the average crime rate in north India is 248.3 and that in the south substantially higher, at 276.7 for every one lakh people. This estimate includes Himachal Pradesh, J&K, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, MP, Uttarakhand, Delhi and Chandigarh in the north; Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Lakshadweep and Pondicherry are counted in the south.

“We can no longer draw that old lawless versus lawful distinction between south and north India,” says Raman Mahadevan, a business historian. “I don’t think it is fair, all of India is blending into one now.” A key reason, he believes, is rapid urbanisation. This has made, for many crimes such as robbery, dacoity, theft and so on, south India as natural a home as any part of India. It isn’t surprising, then, that it’s Maha­rashtra that tops the dacoity and robbery charts in 2014, according to NCRB.

New money, experts argue, unfailingly mints a middle class, and crimes, sure as rain, follow in their wake. “Kerala, for ins­tance, seems to be developing new types of crimes thanks to new money sloshing aro­und,” says Mahadevan. “In Tamil Nadu, the social mismatch between the rich and the poor is not being addressed adequately. There is a growing impression, which I get from newspapers, that things are not as calm as they may appear in statistics. I not­ice crimes such as chain-snatching, ATM thefts more often.”

Sure, many more in the north are struggling to put two square meals together, but it’s not as though the south has it all sorted out. There are as many shopping malls creeping up on unsuspecting small-town aspiratio­nal classes in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh or Telangana as anywhere else, creating as many tensions. If crimes are the result of a struggle over resources and aspirations, south India is hardly better off.

The closer one is to a crime scene, the worse it can seem. There are other factors at play. “In Tamil Nadu, the crime rate ref­lects who is politically powerful,” says Dr M. Srinivasan, head, department of criminology, University of Madras. The AIADMK, he says, is known to dislike wild swings in crime rates. “Therefore, the pol­ice there will not immediately register cases. They tend to wait, collect evidence, see if they have a case. So, in Tamil Nadu the crime rate doesn’t officially increase but is that really the case?”

Srinivasan, like many in his field, believes that the official crime statistics do justice neither to the victims nor help address the stereotypes. The crude north vs south deb­ate doesn’t account for sub-regional variations in crime, which shows Uttarakhand has the second lowest crime rate, next only to Nagaland. Similarly, the “dangerous north” stereotype masks the everyday lawlessness in the south. “We end up bel­ieving that the north is more violent but the south is violent in different ways,” says Abdul Shaban, a professor at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. “In Mumbai, anybody from the north gets called a ‘Bihari’. They attribute characteristics accordingly, but incorrectly,” he says.

Under this stereotype, the sight of Chhota Rajan (Mumbai-born) being brought home in chains doesn’t trigger fears of a “lawless” south. Similarly, have you heard of anyone saying that Dawood Ibrahim (Ratnagiri, Maharashtra-born), Varadarajan Mudaliar (the Madras-born gangster who inspired the film Nayakan), serial killer Auto Sha­n­kar, also from Chennai, or Yusuf Patel, Haji Mastan (born in Ramanathapura, Tamil Nadu), are “south Indians”? Or ever heard anybody denounce ‘King’ Veerappan, the sandalwood smuggler, as a south Indian?

Malayalam writer N.S. Madhavan finds a kind of lawlessness in the “lumpen culture” on the streets in some areas of Kerala—the key southern state for lawlessness. “People are swayed by this culture, especially when it comes with the so-called glamour of liquor and drugs,” he says. Crimes in Kerala are more white-collar, say both Madhavan and Srinivasan, and both feel it is impossible to derive a state psychology based on the north-south divide. “Aren’t white-collar crimes always hidden?” asks Srinivasan.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article/when-a-bad-rep-precedes-reality/295830

Back to top Go down

South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal Empty Re: South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:37 pm

North/south divide on such forum is a creation of that religious bigot flimflam. North or south, crime is high and largely under reported to take the statistics seriously. Shove these useless numbers.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal Empty Re: South India has a higher crime rate than North India but the impression is that the North is more criminal

Post by garam-kuta Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:27 pm

forget about all these stats. if you have to go out alone at night after 11pm, will you feel safer in kanpur or madurai?

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Veeu wrote:forget about all these stats. if you have to go out alone at night after 11pm, will you feel safer in kanpur or madurai?

on foot or car? if i am on a car i'll feel safe in both kanpur and madurai while if i am on foot i would feel unsafe in both places.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Veeu wrote:forget about all these stats. if you have to go out alone at night after 11pm, will you feel safer in kanpur or madurai?

on foot or car? if i am on a car i'll feel safe in both kanpur and madurai while if i am on foot i would feel unsafe in both places.
say you are returning home by foot after a late night movie in a nearby theater. in madurai, you have nothing to fear. in kanpur, you will certainly be mugged. even a car may not help you if they block the roads with stones and rob you.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Veeu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

say you are returning home by foot after a late night movie in a nearby theater. in madurai, you have nothing to fear. in kanpur, you will certainly be mugged. even a car may not help you if they block the roads with stones and rob you.

i wish to know more about the contribution of this gentleman towards the relative safety or unsafety of Madurai:

http://archive.tehelka.com/story_main50.asp?filename=Ne060811Godfather.asp

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Crime rate in south increaed substantially in the south after the influx of Hindian migrants.rate increased

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Crime rate in south increaed substantially in the south after the influx of Hindian migrants.rate increased

I did not know that Azhagiri, Attack Pandi, Varadarajan Mudaliar, Potu Ramesh, etc. are "Hindians".

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Forget 11pm. Upps Aunty got conquered when she stepped out after 8pm, in Coimbatore!!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 am

truthbetold wrote:North/south divide on such forum is a creation of that religious bigot flimflam.  North or south, crime is high and largely under reported to take the statistics seriously. Shove these useless numbers.  
flimflam would never create a divide between southern indians and northpeepals; he considers northpeepals to be his dear brothers. I've heard him say "my house is your house na; my mother is your mother na," his eyes filling with tears as he said that to a northperson. later, he composed an ode to his north brothers. I'll post it here when I have more time.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:38 am

truthbetold wrote:North/south divide on such forum is a creation of that religious bigot flimflam.  North or south, crime is high and largely under reported to take the statistics seriously. Shove these useless numbers.  
flimflam would never create a divide between southern indians and northpeepals; he considers northpeepals to be his dear brothers. I've heard him say "my house is your house na; my mother is your mother na," his eyes filling with tears as he said that to a northperson. later, he composed an ode to his north brothers. I'll post it here when I have more time.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:42 am

Swapna/flimflam
you senile old dirt bag, are you now reduced to bragging about talking to yourself?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down