Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chennai

3 posters

Go down

chennai Empty chennai

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:22 am

i thought these were things you associated with mumbai or kolkata. of all the places -- chennai? and the disaster is mumbai X 10 times worse! what exactly happened there? poor british time drainage? back flow from the sea? can just rains inflict so much havoc?

Back to top Go down

chennai Empty Re: chennai

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:28 am

Indian government had looted these 3 non-Hindi states. In fact India has looted TN more than the British ever did.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:06 am

brie wrote:i thought these were things you associated with mumbai or kolkata. of all the places -- chennai? and the disaster is mumbai X 10 times worse! what exactly happened there? poor british time drainage? back flow from the sea? can just rains inflict so much havoc?
>>>Some amateur observations based on my visits:

1) City was meant to support a population of x when the Brits left; population of course doubles and triples. and continues..
2) Upkeep/maintenance essentially piece meal and of the catch-up variety- rather than pro-active, which was partly due to economics and hugely due to political squandering.

Of course, the above is probably true of other cities in India as well.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:19 am

brie wrote:i thought these were things you associated with mumbai or kolkata. of all the places -- chennai? and the disaster is mumbai X 10 times worse! what exactly happened there? poor british time drainage? back flow from the sea? can just rains inflict so much havoc?

Besides the usual culprits of wetland destruction, unplanned urbanization in low-lying areas etc, the biggest reason is that Chennai is flat, with an average elevation of only 6.7 metres above mean sea level, and many neighbourhoods actually at sea level. So the rainwater doesn't drain quickly enough and high tides could actually result in a backflow.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down