Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bus Day in Chennai

5 posters

Go down

Bus Day in Chennai Empty Bus Day in Chennai

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzI5lacYrLw&feature=fvwrel

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Chennai/article1484344.ece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LERIvXhs8

===> The goons AKA college students create a havoc for the hard working poor who have to depend on the public transportation for their daily living.

Look at the POS in the youtube video pelting stones and injuring the women cops.

Pachaiyappa's college should be shut down. Even forty years ago, the students of that institution were known as rowdies of Pachaiyappa's.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Bus Day in Chennai Empty Re: Bus Day in Chennai

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Love the way you call people POS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Love the way you call people POS.

>>>What is POS?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Piece of Shyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Hmm- I thought it was 'person of suspicion' or some thing. I guess the youtube link made MA livid.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I can sense the passion, the anger, the hatred going on in MA's mind when he utters those absolute and ultimate acronyms. Such angry-young-man like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

And was it "Slaves or Saints of Loyola"?

Not everyone could/can attend Loyola or MCC, Sara!

I am not a fan of bus day either..but, I guess college students have some rowdyish behaviour in them! That includes Professional Colleges -anywhere as well!

Speaking of creating events and occasions..here's one, coming up! I am def. quite Pro Mus-Men! Their "rallying cry" here is a little ridiculous:)..but, everyone needs some "cause"..to rally for!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/million-mustache-march-planned-april-encourage-growth-facial-134239007.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Maria S wrote:And was it "Slaves or Saints of Loyola"?

Not everyone could/can attend Loyola or MCC, Sara!

I am not a fan of bus day either..but, I guess college students have some rowdyish behaviour in them! That includes Professional Colleges -anywhere as well!

Speaking of creating events and occasions..here's one, coming up! I am def. quite Pro Mus-Men! Their "rallying cry" here is a little ridiculous:)..but, everyone needs some "cause"..to rally for!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/million-mustache-march-planned-april-encourage-growth-facial-134239007.html

>>>> I thought it was 'Slaves of Loyola' and 'Gentlemen of Presidency and Christian'. Of course, I heard this from my dad who went to Christian.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:44 pm

i've never heard the name MCC shortened to "christian". it was always MCC.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 pm

You are right Kris!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Maria S wrote:You are right Kris!

>>>I have heard this only from people of my dad's generation or older. Maybe something that was in vogue when they were in school ..kinda like 'nobody beats berkeley' to make themselves feel good. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Perhaps that was in vogue..Presidency was a Prep. College and MCC was also seen as more sophisticated/elite. And of course-Pachiappas was among the first few colleges which was not British and Christian funded, seen as non-elite/for the "common man"-many leaders from the Dravidian movements came from-Anna was a Pachiappas alum.

Things have changed a lot over the years..it's "Gentleman and Ladies of MCC" (co-ed) now.

Americans are so intense/loyal- when it comes Alumni loyalty..whether it's high school, junior college, State Univ or Ivy league..they really support them- take pride with songs, slogans, colors!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Maria,

===> Maria,

When I was in India, I was given strong advice by a well meaning senior student that college friends are like the friends you make with your fellow passengers during a train journey. And it ends when you get off at your destination.

But in reality looking at IIT and the Ivy league schools, you are hobbled by the friendships you make in school for your entire life even if you go to the moon.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzI5lacYrLw&feature=fvwrel

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Chennai/article1484344.ece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LERIvXhs8

===> The goons AKA college students create a havoc for the hard working poor who have to depend on the public transportation for their daily living.

Look at the POS in the youtube video pelting stones and injuring the women cops.

Pachaiyappa's college should be shut down. Even forty years ago, the students of that institution were known as rowdies of Pachaiyappa's.

Exactly.... Tomorrow's leaders are being trained in Stalin's mold, who led and indulged in exactly the same manner 40 yrs back.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Sara,

That is some strange advice! I was not given such advice, so have kept in touch with quite a few of my collegemates.

*Now with social media..these connections are flourishing- with lots of reunions in India as well in the US (but, we don't do fund raising or support our colleges nearly as Americans do!) I attended one of them a few years ago..it was really great..as they say 20-25 years after you graduate..college friendships find renewed interest- and respect for each other (far less competitiveness...people have seen the ups and downs of life- so become mellow, kinder and gentler!)..

But you are absolutely right..want to find a good job? want admission for your relatives or friends? No better way in the US or India if you have "good Alumni connections"..and they like you-have good memories of you..even if one dies..you see your collegemates go out of their way to comfort and help families..college friendships seem to be deep rooted and real!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:32 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:Maria,

===> Maria,

When I was in India, I was given strong advice by a well meaning senior student that college friends are like the friends you make with your fellow passengers during a train journey. And it ends when you get off at your destination.

But in reality looking at IIT and the Ivy league schools, you are hobbled by the friendships you make in school for your entire life even if you go to the moon.

hobbled? really, hobbled?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

I took hobbled in a good way- connected and moving together slowly towards something helpful to all involved!

I guess Sara - the storyteller Smile ..is in a creative mood..uses words in creative ways!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm

i think mulai azhagan used in the sense of the dictionary meaning. i am just trying to find out why.

if he used it to mean what maria said, there's a name for that; it's not creativity, but malapropism.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:51 pm

ஆங்கில பேராசியர் மேக்ஸ் அவர்களே!

I shall yield to your expertise!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think mulai azhagan used in the sense of the dictionary meaning. i am just trying to find out why.

if he used it to mean what maria said, there's a name for that; it's not creativity, but malapropism.

hob·bled
verb (used with object)
to cause to limp: His tight shoes hobbled him.
to fasten together the legs of (a horse, mule, etc.) by short lengths of rope to prevent free motion.
to impede; hamper the progress of.

===> When you spend a major part of you life with the same person or persons, you are bound to be hobbled in your thought process one way or the other. And you have to move on in your life and be exposed to diffrent mindsets and cultures to grow. Imagine your high school clasmates or your next door neighbors from Mylapore end up as your neighbors in Juneau, Alaska. It does spoil the life you want to experience in a new place.

I do agree the IIT alumni network etc., has helped people to grow financially and careerwise. May be that is the way the world works.

In fact, it has gotten worse. Imagine ten of the stone throwers from the Pachaiyappa's college we saw on the Youtube video take some IT courses, come here on H-1 B visa and live in the same neighborhood. You think anyone of them will change?

It is not that I have grown or something like that. But I do see the problem.

BTW why is the use of the word hobbled inappropriate here?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm

so may i take it that your contentions are that:

a) IITans are doing poorly compared to some yet to be revealed standard.
b) the reason for 'a' is that their only friends and acquaintances are other IITans.

but in the same breath you are also saying that the IIT alumni network has helped people in their careers. which is it? let us know when you make up your mind.

i said if you used it in the weird sense that maria suggested then it is inappropriate. clearly you used it correctly.

maria: it is not necessary to be an english professor to use words correctly.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 pm

I had been at ease..for so many months now!

Thanks for reminding me where I am:)

See you all soon!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down