Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later

5 posters

Go down

History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later Empty History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:49 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater_presidential_campaign,_1964
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later Empty Re: History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

Hellsangel wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater_presidential_campaign,_1964

I dont agree with this analogy. Goldwater was a Senator and GoP support was not unanimous due to his somewhat liberal social views. And besides he was fighting another southerner.

Trump OTOH a New Yorker with liberal social views (not sure if he even owns a gun or a member of NRA) and a COMPLETE political novice. At least Reagan had served as Governor. Trump has literally no friends in DC.

He could be the "Republican" who might - just might - take on the NRA. It will take a republican to kill the Republican stranglehold - history has proved time and again across the world that any extremist view can only be tamed by one from the inside.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later Empty Re: History is kind of repeating itself 52 years later

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater_presidential_campaign,_1964

I dont agree with this analogy. Goldwater was a Senator and GoP support was not unanimous due to his somewhat liberal social views. And besides he was fighting another southerner.

Trump OTOH a New Yorker with liberal social views (not sure if he even owns a gun or a member of NRA) and a COMPLETE political novice. At least Reagan had served as Governor. Trump has literally no friends in DC.

He could be the "Republican" who might - just might - take on the NRA. It will take a republican to kill the Republican stranglehold - history has proved time and again across the world that any extremist view can only be tamed by one from the inside.

another difference -- from what i've read about him, goldwater was not a moron, drumpf most certainly is one.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/opinions/mitt-romney-blistering-attack-on-donald-trump-zelizer/index.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

another difference -- from what i've read about him, goldwater was not a moron, drumpf most certainly is one.

lol a moron turned the politics upside down in this country sending a 160 yr old party into tailspin

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:47 am

Agree Goldwater cannot be compared with Trump. Trump is a more dangerous since he's an arrogant bastard who is just a salesman. As of 2016, I would have loved to see Romney or even McCain running for President from Republicans.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

lol a moron turned the politics upside down in this country sending a 160 yr old party into tailspin

no sir, the moron only tipped over what was already a floundering party driven to its current state by decades of ossified ideas on all fronts. the factors behind the state of the GOP -- tired economic policies, hate mongering, grover norquist, sarah palin, michelle bachmann, and the tea party fiasco. look at the one serious moment in the debate yesterday when cruz was asked what he'd do to improve the economy of detroit -- he went back to the old republican playbook -- deregulation and tax cutting. it's like clockwork. i could have produced that answer. these guys have not had one fresh idea, in what, like three decades?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

no sir, the moron only tipped over what was already a floundering party driven to its current state by decades of ossified ideas on all fronts. the factors behind the state of the GOP -- tired economic policies, hate mongering, grover norquist, sarah palin, michelle bachmann, and the tea party fiasco. look at the one serious moment in the debate yesterday when cruz was asked what he'd do to improve the economy of detroit -- he went back to the old republican playbook -- deregulation and tax cutting. it's like clockwork. i could have produced that answer. these guys have not had one fresh idea, in what, like three decades?

what "fresh" ideas do dems have other than finding newer ways to raise taxes, expanding social net and consequently increasing the reach of govt and curtailing individual freedoms?

and how would a dem have answered on improving detroit, bring back manufacturing jobs from china by raising import duties, make trade unions stronger, throw more money at big 2? you think those are radical ideas? lol

somewhat amused at your talking points..have you been listening to NPR this morning?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down